Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jazz?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Jazz?

    Being a blues historian I'm going to come in contact with some jazz, names like Louis Armstrong, Bunk Johnson, Kid Ory, Charlie Parker, Charley Christian, Jellyroll Morton, King Oliver. Obviously we all know about Miles Davis and John Coltrane. While I own something by most those I mentioned I never really warmed up to it. I can only handle it a little bit at a time. What am I missing, how can I love them old blues but can't get into jazz?

    The classic blues singers like Ma Rainey, Bessie Smith,Clara Smith usually recorded with more of a jazz than blues band. So we see a little mix there.

    I do have this theory that jazz is more about the artists involved than the audience, if you want to listen, cool...man 8-)

  • #2
    Re: Jazz?

    Nothing better than Jazz if you like listening to wastrels tune their instruments and search for a common key .... Jazz is just painful.... Jazz singing is an oxymoron .. the jazz scene is best suited for heavy drinkers and druggies.... If you really want to know how I feel Im not much into modern blues with its wholesale counterfeit, contrived, feigned, unctuous affected whining either ...Thanks for asking.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Jazz?

      I happen to enjoy good classic jazz.

      De gustibus non est disputandum.

      Nothing more to say.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Jazz?

        Originally posted by Dixon
        I do have this theory that jazz is more about the artists involved than the audience, if you want to listen, cool...man 8-)
        I guess it all depends on what type of jazz you're talking about and what you're accustomed to listening to. I like the blues that you seem to like, but I can only take it in small doses before it begins to sound repetitive and vanilla. That sort of music simply isn't cerebral enough for me. On the other hand, I don't like jazz that goes so far out that only musicians can appreciate it. The critically acclaimmed Song X album by Pat Metheny and Ornette Coleman is a perfect example of jazz which is too cerebral and not visceral enough for me. I prefer my music somewhere in the middle, because it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing. 8-)

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Jazz?

          Originally posted by Dixon
          I do have this theory that jazz is more about the artists involved than the audience, if you want to listen, cool...man 8-)
          I think jazz is about live improvisation -- the interplay between musical ideas, passing between players, who are riffing on a theme. It is about the artists involved LESS than a movie is about the actors involved, because the both the players AND the audience are listening, interested and responsive, to the direction the music takes as it happens. The music itself, fresh invented, is the stuff of jazz.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Jazz?

            I'd say that about 85 percent of my listening is jazz. It is, by far, my favorite genre and I feel that I've done quite a bit of exploration over the last 40 something years. Jazz of the 1950s and 60s, in particular, holds up much better for me than any period of rock. Miles is my all time favorite-- no one comes close to his output and quality from birth of the Cool to Agartha ( that is, 1949 to 1975). Have also gotten interested in more recent work, from old timers and younger artists alike.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Jazz?

              Originally posted by kuha
              Jazz of the 1950s and 60s, in particular, holds up much better for me than any period of rock.
              I'd say the same about jazz of the '20s and '30s. I'm sitting here now listening to McKinney's Cotton Pickers and smiling.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Jazz?

                Originally posted by user4
                Nothing better than Jazz if you like listening to wastrels tune their instruments and search for a common key .... Jazz is just painful.... Jazz singing is an oxymoron .. the jazz scene is best suited for heavy drinkers and druggies.... If you really want to know how I feel Im not much into modern blues with its wholesale counterfeit, contrived, feigned, unctuous affected whining either ...Thanks for asking.
                I give jazz a little more respect than that but agree it can be painful.

                As far as modern blues go, give Johnny "Slim" Campbell a listen.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Jazz?

                  Originally posted by jazzcyclist
                  Originally posted by Dixon
                  I do have this theory that jazz is more about the artists involved than the audience, if you want to listen, cool...man 8-)
                  I guess it all depends on what type of jazz you're talking about and what you're accustomed to listening to. I like the blues that you seem to like, but I can only take it in small doses before it begins to sound repetitive and vanilla. That sort of music simply isn't cerebral enough for me. On the other hand, I don't like jazz that goes so far out that only musicians can appreciate it. The critically acclaimmed Song X album by Pat Metheny and Ornette Coleman is a perfect example of jazz which is too cerebral and not visceral enough for me. I prefer my music somewhere in the middle, because it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing. 8-)
                  I can see where you're at on that, I do own Kind of Blue by Miles Davis, I can handle one tune at a time just not two or three.

                  Other than them old blues where can you hear lyrics like...

                  Gonna cut your throat mama, drink your blood like wine.

                  Pegleg Howell 1926.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Jazz Anyone Will Enjoy

                    User4, you might want to check out the contemporary American pianist Stephanie Trick. Open her YouTube page and launch the You Tube Mix. I suggest almost anyone will find her work appealing at whichever tune the mix starts.

                    Quick Silver
                    Hong Kong

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Jazz?

                      Originally posted by Dixon
                      Other than them old blues where can you hear lyrics like...

                      Gonna cut your throat mama, drink your blood like wine.

                      Pegleg Howell 1926.
                      Charming and uplifting.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Jazz?

                        Originally posted by user4
                        Originally posted by Dixon
                        Other than them old blues where can you hear lyrics like...

                        Gonna cut your throat mama, drink your blood like wine.

                        Pegleg Howell 1926.
                        Charming and uplifting.
                        Them old blues aren't suppose to be charming and uplifting, this is something totally different. Here we hear tunes about trains and poverty and prison, razors, drugs, alcohol, hard times, hoboing, pistols, This is the music that gave Pink Floyd, The Rolling Stones and Canned Heat their names. Elvis started out covering these old tunes. Eric Clapton,The Grateful Dead, Jimi Hendix, Janis Joplin The Animals, Bob Dylan, Led Zeppelin all have paid homage to them old blues. Hank Wiliams and Jimmie Rodgers recorded a truck load of blues.

                        Blues lady Victoria Spivey has a tune....Blood Thirsty. It starts off with her in a eerie voice....Blood, blood , blood, blood .....haunting.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Jazz?

                          One of my great recent discoveries is the livestreaming of the performances at Jazz at Lincoln Center. I would gladly pay a fee for this service, but as luck would have it, it's free. Once you sign up, you get emails whenever a future performance is announced and again at the moment before the performance begins. The last week of December featured a six-day engagement by the Wynton Marsalis Septet. Tonight, I'm watching Herlin Riley play. Some of the events are archived. For anyone who has an appreciation for America's greatest musical contribution to the world, this is must-see/must-hear TV. Here's the link:

                          http://new.livestream.com/jazz/herlinri ... dium=email

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Jazz?

                            Originally posted by jazzcyclist
                            One of my great recent discoveries is the livestreaming of the performances at Jazz at Lincoln Center. I would gladly pay a fee for this service, but as luck would have it, it's free. Once you sign up, you get emails whenever a future performance is announced and again at the moment before the performance begins. The last week of December featured a six-day engagement by the Wynton Marsalis Septet. Tonight, I'm watching Herlin Riley play. Some of the events are archived. For anyone who has an appreciation for America's greatest musical contribution to the world, this is must-see/must-hear TV. Here's the link:

                            http://new.livestream.com/jazz/herlinri ... dium=email
                            I do my best to set aside a couple hours a day to get lost in the music. The candles, incense, headphones and there is nothing else. I'm far far away. I tried that with "Kind of Blue" by Miles Davis, I couldn't make it work.

                            America also gave the world, blues, rock & roll, bluegrass and country.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Jazz?

                              Originally posted by Dixon
                              I tried that with "Kind of Blue" by Miles Davis, I couldn't make it work.
                              Try Coltrane Plays The Blues and tell me what you think.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X