Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman

    Drugs, what a profound waste of human capital .... the fact that it can on occasion be lethal may be the only REAL societal good.

    Edit: The guy was an absolutely brilliant actor, mind boggling to think of how great his future could have been but for this horrible addiction.

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman

      A nice appreciation of Hoffman's craft by the local critic:

      http://www.sfgate.com/default/article/P ... 198721.php

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman

        After the Vietnam war officials were really worried that G.I.'s would come home addicted to, amongst other things, Heroin (Opium) as many G.I.'s used it. To their surprise as soon as they came back states side the vast majority kicked it. The theory is that a few (less than 10%) have brains that will become addicted, and will have a "disease" condition to it. Namely they will have an extremely difficult time staying clean. With the vast proliferation of Opiod pain pills addiction has spread to Heroin use. I still have pain pills from a knee operation 4 years ago, and I drink alcohol yet I've never been one to take pain pills on a daily basis, as prescribed by MD's., or be an alcoholic. I have a non addiction brain, as do most of us. I have a relative ( a company exec, no less) who has not been able to kick his pain pill (Oxy's) and he's been addicted for over 20 years, and nearly dead on numerous occasions. The entertainment industry is the worst profession for drug and alcohol abuse and the addiction prone will have a hard time not getting sucked in. Robert Downey Jr. is one of the few famous ones who have, so far, kicked it, but it's a life long struggle. Hoffman's struggle should be dealt with respectfully.

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman

          I just skimmed through Hoffman's list of films, and I was reminded/surprised at how many there were that I enjoyed or loved, or -- in a few cases -- appreciated his role even if I didn't like the movie that much. He worked a lot, and at a high level -- and that doesn't even consider (for me) his stage work, which I never saw. I had forgotten how many times I had enjoyed and appreciated his work.

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman

            Originally posted by Master Po
            I just skimmed through Hoffman's list of films, and I was reminded/surprised at how many there were that I enjoyed or loved, or -- in a few cases -- appreciated his role even if I didn't like the movie that much. He worked a lot, and at a high level -- and that doesn't even consider (for me) his stage work, which I never saw. I had forgotten how many times I had enjoyed and appreciated his work.
            He was brilliant in "Capote." For a chunky, masculine, actor to warp into wispy, effeminate, Capote was sheer brilliance. He did more than ape Capote's mannerisms, he became Capote.

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman

              Originally posted by jeremyp
              After the Vietnam war officials were really worried that G.I.'s would come home addicted to, amongst other things, Heroin (Opium) as many G.I.'s used it. To their surprise as soon as they came back states side the vast majority kicked it. The theory is that a few (less than 10%) have brains that will become addicted, and will have a "disease" condition to it. Namely they will have an extremely difficult time staying clean. With the vast proliferation of Opiod pain pills addiction has spread to Heroin use. I still have pain pills from a knee operation 4 years ago, and I drink alcohol yet I've never been one to take pain pills on a daily basis, as prescribed by MD's., or be an alcoholic. I have a non addiction brain, as do most of us. I have a relative ( a company exec, no less) who has not been able to kick his pain pill (Oxy's) and he's been addicted for over 20 years, and nearly dead on numerous occasions. The entertainment industry is the worst profession for drug and alcohol abuse and the addiction prone will have a hard time not getting sucked in. Robert Downey Jr. is one of the few famous ones who have, so far, kicked it, but it's a life long struggle. Hoffman's struggle should be dealt with respectfully.
              Excellently stated.

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman

                Excellent article about the growing, dangerous, heroin scourge.
                http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archi ... ws/283533/

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman

                  Not mentioned in any of the tributes I've read was his role in "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead", a really good but really bleak and depressing film in which he played.....a drug addict.

                  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0292963/

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman

                    Originally posted by jeremyp
                    The entertainment industry is the worst profession for drug and alcohol abuse and the addiction prone will have a hard time not getting sucked in. Robert Downey Jr. is one of the few famous ones who have, so far, kicked it, but it's a life long struggle. Hoffman's struggle should be dealt with respectfully.
                    There may be a correlation between the need for fame and adulation, and the addictive prone brain. Or is it just a need to "decompress" in their private moments, once they get away from the spotlight?

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman

                      Interesting piece here:

                      http://www.esquire.com/blogs/culture/ho ... c=soc_twtr

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman

                        No one is addicted to anything the first time they try it. One of the reasons I never tried any illegal drugs is because i was always afraid that I might like them. IMO, it's really risky to try something like heroine because you won't find out if you're an addict until after you try it, so why try it in the first place? You're basically playing Russian roulette, and betting that you aren't in that minority of the population that is predisposed to addiction.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman

                          Loved all his movies, even the goofy, off-putting role he played in Twister. Such a versatile actor. My favorite role of his was in MI-3. He turned the beginning of that film into such a riveting experience.
                          If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman

                            I'm no prude, wish I had a buck for everytime it was...."God if you let me live through this I promise....." But I'll go to my grave never understanding how anyone could stick a needle in their arm for a cheap ride.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman

                              Originally posted by jazzcyclist
                              No one is addicted to anything the first time they try it. One of the reasons I never tried any illegal drugs is because i was always afraid that I might like them. IMO, it's really risky to try something like heroine because you won't find out if you're an addict until after you try it, so why try it in the first place? You're basically playing Russian roulette, and betting that you aren't in that minority of the population that is predisposed to addiction.
                              I suspect that this is an underlying guiding element for me. I suppose that distance runners have a relatively high proportion of people who are willing to wait for 'gratification', but I think I did better within my generation than I would have done with the choices/options currently available.

                              In a related note, the number of kids participating in team sports has been dropping (see Home Page article), and the number of teens not doing any such activity has been increasing.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman

                                Originally posted by jazzcyclist
                                No one is addicted to anything the first time they try it. One of the reasons I never tried any illegal drugs is because i was always afraid that I might like them…...
                                Had a friend (solid upstanding citizen, who now doesn't do anyting beyond occasional glass of wine) who smoked heroin once in Nam. It was so great, he said, that he had to vow not to do it again, because he was afraid two times might be all it took to end up with a serious problem.

                                But he couldn't resist doing it again the night before he was shipped back home. It was as good as he had remembered.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X