Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OMIGOD! the '60s are officially over

I thought the ad was fine and found myself wondering what the next seen would be.

I also was telling my 11-year old that this guy was right up there with the top stars of all time. One of the comments that I always find most interesting is that people say that he can't sign worth a darn. However, it is also true that it is his versions of songs that are the most popular, not the many covers that have been done. Now, if he was just a writer that could not sign, it would be the the covers that we would know...

Finally, my dad was born in Ely, MN, not terribly far from Hibbing, although the family moved to Grand Forks when he was a little kid.

Comment

Originally posted by Dixon
      Have we ever seen a more dramatic change in music than we did going from the 50's to the 60;s? From The Drifters, The Coasters, Eddie Cochran, The Shirelles to County Joe and the Fish, The Grateful Dead, Canned Heat......dramatic.
      '40s to '50s was far more dramatic a shift. From Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman, Bing Crosby, Vera Lynn to Bill Haley, Little Richard, Elvis, etc., etc.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
        Have we ever seen a more dramatic change in music than we did going from the 50's to the 60;s? From The Drifters, The Coasters, Eddie Cochran, The Shirelles to County Joe and the Fish, The Grateful Dead, Canned Heat......dramatic.
        '40s to '50s was far more dramatic a shift. From Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman, Bing Crosby, Vera Lynn to Bill Haley, Little Richard, Elvis, etc., etc.
        Agreed. In terms of any two-decade period, it's probably true that 1945 to 65 or 1950 to 70 takes the prize for overall most dramatic shift. No twenty period before or after comes remotely close.

Comment

....and I'm still stuck in the 40s-50s...

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
            oh, c'mon now . . . Ima Okie From Muskogee is from 1969!!

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
              Originally posted by lonewolf
              oh, c'mon now . . . Ima Okie From Muskogee is from 1969!!
              I was thinking of the "big band" sound... there was some good/decent C/W in the 60s, 70s and occasionaly in the 80s but what now masquerades as C/W don't cut it with me...(with rare exceptions)

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                I agree with this and I think, in a general sense, the sounds are so different that the generation prior to the 50's and forward have always had a more difficult time dealing with more modern music than those which came along afterwards do adjusting to todays sounds.

I've always been thankful that I didn't reject my parent's taste in music (which is big bands and showtunes) while enjoying most music of my own generation and even today.

Comment

Wow not only are the 60's dead but Pete Seeger's thread has been deaded.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutra5
                    the generation prior to the 50's and forward have always had a more difficult time dealing with more modern music than those which came along afterwards do adjusting to todays sounds.
                    My students, 45 years younger than I, love, love, love the songs playing as they come in the room, which is a Pandora mix of mostly songs from the mid-60s to mid-80s, i.e., 30-50 years old, (think Beatles, Stones, Led Zepp, through Billy Idol). That is analogous to me in HS listening to songs from the '10s to '30s!!! :shock: No one I knew in HS listened to anything older than the Oldies Era, which was from 55-60!

Comment

Originally posted by jeremyp
                      Wow not only are the 60's dead but Pete Seeger's thread has been deaded.
                      no, it's just hibernating; it has been politicized

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                        There were a lot of blues/R%B legends like John Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters, Lightnin' Hopkins, Charles Brown, Ray Charles, Lowell Fulsom, Sunnyland Slim, Big Boy Crudup, Big Joe Turner, Memphis Slim who all started recording in the 40's, they had a sound close to what we heard in 50's rock & roll. Since they were the big influense.

Elvis's first record was a cover of a 1946 Big Boy Crudup tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud6OhLFkPNk

I wonder if Little Richard knew about that duo?

I realize you're not a fan of the back and forth debate/argument so I'll wrap this up with...

I have tons of old blues tunes that inspired the rock & roll of the 50's, I'm talking 20-s -40's. Some of these guys in the rock & roll HOF.

Comment

Working...
                        X