Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not true?

All of these are true but one, which one?

Tennessee high school football team goes undefeated and unscored on, but the most amazing thing about that season was.....nobody crossed the 50 yard line on them.

A boxing bout that went 70 rounds, lasted over 4 hours and ended up a draw.

A college football team that scored over 2000 points in a five year span while only giving up 36. They went..51-1, losing the very last game of that span 2-0.

Pro football defensive end runs in and sacks the QB for a safety, frustrated the coach pulls the QB, in comes his replacement who inside 5 minutes is also sacked in the endzone by the same defensive end for a safety.

Football game played in the snow, team kickoffs, return man fumbles, kickoff team scoopes the ball up...touchdown! Kick x-tra point. another kickoff, return man fumbles, kickoff team scoopes the ball up....touchdown! Kick xtra point.

Olympic sprinter is only there as an alternate, due to an illness he gets his shot, he wins the gold medal (not a relay)

A pro running back scores ....

rushing
    receiving
    passing
    punt return
    kickoff return
    PAT
    FG

A popular Do Wop vocal group had all 4 members on their HS 4x1 team.

????

Re: Not true?

Originally posted by Dixon
    This seems like the most likely to be true so therefore I'll pick this one to be false.

Comment

Originally posted by runforlife
      This seems like the most likely to be true so therefore I'll pick this one to be false.
      How would you disprove it?

The term "popular" is so vague that I could very easily say that 'the 4x1 team I ran on in HS was the hit of our school formal when we jumped up on stay and knocked out a pitch perfect rendition of Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy Of Company B". Ergo we were popular.

Comment

Well hell so much for this thread, I do love that logic Yep, ya nailed it.

I got that idea from reading about recording artist Brook Benton, who was a track star in high school.

Comment

Originally posted by AS
          How would you disprove it?

The term "popular" is so vague that I could very easily say that 'the 4x1 team I ran on in HS was the hit of our school formal when we jumped up on stay and knocked out a pitch perfect rendition of Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy Of Company B". Ergo we were popular.
          i would have used a group known nationally.

Comment

Great trivia. Can you give us the names of the individuals and teams in the original post?

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler
              Great trivia. Can you give us the names of the individuals and teams in the original post?
              Thanx

From 1942 to 1949 Bedford County Training School an all black HS in Shelbyville Tenn won 78 games in a row. For three seasons no opponet crossed the 50 yard line on them, obviously nobody scoring on them either. I said one but it was actually three which seems like a fantasy.

On Feb 7th 1890 George "Little Chocolate" Dixon fought Cal McCarthy to a 70 round draw that lasted 4 hours and 40 minutes. Story goes Dixon had over 800 fights in his 20 year career, sometimes fighting two/three times in a day. He was the first black to hold a world title.

From 1901 to 1906 Michigan lost but one game and scored over 50 points 21 times while never allowing over 12 points in any one game. They scored over a 100, 4 times. In the very last game of that run they lost to Chicago 2-0. Chicago the team that had scored the 12 in another season.

LA Rams (tv star) Fred Dryer was that DE who recorded the two sacks.

It was a Monday night game from Denver in the snow vs the Chargers (I think) where the Broncos scored 14 points off two Charger kickoffs.

Syracuse sprinter Allen Woodring had made our 1920 Olympic team as an alternate in the 200m. due to an illness to, hmmm? can't remember his name.....he got his shot, all he did was beat the great Charles Paddock to win the gold in the 200m.

San Diego Charger fullback Keith Lincoln (WSU) could do it all and if not for speedy tailback Paul Lowe (Oregon State hurdler) he'd been far more revered. They shared the load. He scored on all those I mentioned.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6foQEfkFHFM

Comment

Originally posted by no one
                  That was great

Hard to believe any boxer could box for 20 years with that style if Dixon always fought like that. He never backs up, just straight ahead.

First time I've ever seen him in action, thank's again. Some historians have called him the greatest ever pound for pound.

How in the hell can anyone box 70 rounds fighting in that matter...???

Comment

Originally posted by no one
                    Did you notice how small that ring is?

Comment

did notice that - wonder if there was no standardization of ring size back then. I also notice that neither fighter hit, brushed or leaned into the ropes. Plus , pretty much a slug-fest from the get go - no movin around to size the other up.

Comment

[quote=Wang Lung]
                        Originally posted by "no one":3bieha6x
                        Did you notice how small that ring is?[/quote:3bieha6x]

Some of that old stuff is amazing. Imagine a 166 round fight? Yep, in 1829 James Burke beats Bill Fitzsimmons.

Anyone into boxing has to have...

The BOXING Register by James B. Roberts and Aexander G. Skutt. they leave no stone unturned, it's all there.

Comment

Working...
                        X