Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aaronk
    replied
    Wasn't a binge watch, but rather a "binge" read & watch!
    I have the DVD of the 1958 movie "On the Beach", but hadn't watched it for many years!

Also owned the book--bought many years ago--but had never read it!

So I decided to finally read it, and did!
    I was mesmerized by it.
    So much so, I knew I had to watch the movie, to compare them!

So as soon as I ended the book, I watched the movie.
    A few diferencess, but minor ones.
    Same grim story of a group of people in Australia waiting to die of radiation poisoning after a big nuclear war in the northern hemisphere!
    While the radiation heads south, the people live out their lives, some ignoring their inevitable death, some partying, some involved in investigating the effects of the war by submarining north to see the damage firsthand.

Gregory Peck, Ava Gardner, and Fred Astaire star.
    Also Tony Perkins, just a year or two before he plays Norman Bates in Psycho!!

An excellent book AND movie, but be prepared to not be able to sleep for awhile!
    Last edited by aaronk; 10-11-2021, 09:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Tuariki
    replied
    I read that the Korean series Squid Game is the planet's leading tv series on Netflix. My kids and grandkids are all hooked.

I watched for 30 minutes before turning it off. Did nothing for me.

Leave a comment:

• jeremyp
    replied
    Check out "The Guilty" on Netflix. Movie, not a binge. American remake of a great Danish movie. Interesting twist. Jake does overact a tad.

Leave a comment:

• polevaultpower
    replied
    LuLaRich is on Amazon Prime, it is four ~45 minute episodes. I am very briefly in the first episode, and then much more in episodes 3 and 4.

I was never a consultant, I have been reporting on LuLaRoe's legal battles and more since 2016, mostly in the Defective Facebook group that is mentioned in the documentary, I also would work behind the scenes with reporters, lawyers, the AG's office, etc.

Leave a comment:

• wamego relays champ
    replied
    Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post
    Did any of you watch LuLaRich? I'm in it
    I had not heard about this company. Before you were investigating, had you been a consultant/seller?

I'm sure the board at USATF is glad that you have had something else to distract you from their governance issues.

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post
    Where can we find it?

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    You're actually in it? I'll have to check that out.

Ps. Where in the show are you?
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 10-03-2021, 06:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• polevaultpower
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by gh View Post
    a trilogy I'm not sure I've read since my teens in the '60s!
    I read the original trilogy as a 15yo, and then Dune, which had been published the year before (trip to the Library!)

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Originally posted by bad hammy View Post
    Definitely looking forward to Foundation, my all-time fave sci-fi lit franchise.
    a trilogy I'm not sure I've read since my teens in the '60s!

Leave a comment:

• scottmitchell74
    replied
    Originally posted by aaronk View Post
    I also like Halloween 3, but for different reasons.
    The movie was filmed in Loleta CA--near where I lived in Humboldt County CA--Loleta is just south of Eureka.
    I used to drive taxi there, and anytime I went there--after the movie came out--I'd get the chills seeing the building where the mask factory was supposed to be.
    They probably filmed the exteriors there, with the inside being filmed in a studio!

But it was eerie seeing that building--and the railroad tracks and the streets---because I knew them so well!!

Same thing happened years after seeing Hitchcock's The Birds, filmed in Bodega Bay CA.
    I drive there one time, and the view when Tippie Hedren drove there to bring the birds to that guy was exactly the same---even the road she drove to get to his house, the boat docks, everything!
    Again, eerie!!
    Very cool!

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy
    replied
    Definitely looking forward to Foundation, my all-time fave sci-fi lit franchise.

Leave a comment:

• KDFINE
    replied
    I've seen three, and none of them are on my must see again list.

Leave a comment:

• aaronk
    replied
    I also like Halloween 3, but for different reasons.
    The movie was filmed in Loleta CA--near where I lived in Humboldt County CA--Loleta is just south of Eureka.
    I used to drive taxi there, and anytime I went there--after the movie came out--I'd get the chills seeing the building where the mask factory was supposed to be.
    They probably filmed the exteriors there, with the inside being filmed in a studio!

But it was eerie seeing that building--and the railroad tracks and the streets---because I knew them so well!!

Same thing happened years after seeing Hitchcock's The Birds, filmed in Bodega Bay CA.
    I drive there one time, and the view when Tippie Hedren drove there to bring the birds to that guy was exactly the same---even the road she drove to get to his house, the boat docks, everything!
    Again, eerie!!

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Of the ones I saw on the list, about 6, I liked. Dune was fun but you really needed to have read the book to have any idea what was going on.
    I've read Dune about 25 times, starting when it was a serial in Analog when I was in high school. I have another 19 books that are sequels/prequels. It's quite a franchise.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X