Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the official binge-watching thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by gm View Post
    I am indeed a furriner... born in New Mexico 🤣
    Hey, we're both newbies. I come from Jersey (New)!

    Comment


    • after all these years, that explains it.

      Comment


      • Aha! Turns out that Carol Baskin's (Tiger King) 'missing' husband's will was forged!!
        Y'know, the one that cut his previous family out and gave the millions to Carol. The hubby that EJoe said she fed to her tigers.

        Comment


        • Highly recommend "Lenox Hill" on Netflix. A gripping documentary about a N.Y.C. Hospital. Our heroes at work. Pre COVID.

          Comment


          • Chariots of Fire and Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner are on TCM tonight.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Atticus View Post
              The History Channel specials always suck me in. Just started the US Grant 6-hour one. Fascinating.
              I finally finished this one last night. It has a pretty balanced take on General Grant, but a pretty positive spin on President Grant.
              If the purpose is to refute the revisionist view, I wonder how effective that is. Most revisionists wouldn't even think of watching a six hour program on their villain.
              Who are the target audience?

              Comment


              • Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
                I finally finished this one last night. It has a pretty balanced take on General Grant, but a pretty positive spin on President Grant.
                If the purpose is to refute the revisionist view, I wonder how effective that is. Most revisionists wouldn't even think of watching a six hour program on their villain.
                Who are the target audience?
                He certainly had his slew of scandals (most of the cabinet were taking bribes), but USG (not even his real initials!) was pretty clueless about most of it, which, of course, does not absolve him of some the blame.

                Comment


                • Yeah, but he showed serious lack of judgement by choosing those corrupt people to the cabinet. As Truman once said, the buck should stop at the president.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
                    the buck should stop at the president.
                    Absolutely. In some ways, he was a great man (and leader). In other ways not so much. The show made it clear that he a Mike Tyson fighter. Just keep coming with big shots.

                    Comment


                    • my local film critic says that if you're going to binge, do movies, not TV:

                      <<Most people binge-watch TV shows, but TV shows are not the best thing to binge-watch. Yes, I know we keep hearing that this is the best era for television, but let’s be honest: That’s not really saying much, is it? Even today, the vast majority of shows are not worth your time. They’re designed to stretch out a teensy-weensy story over the course of many hours. They’re designed to addict you, while giving you very little.>>

                      He continues...

                      <<So, instead of wasting 30 hours binge-watching a TV series, spend the same time watching 15 movies by the same actor, or the same director. For the same amount of binge time, you will go to 15 entirely different worlds, and you will come back with insights and ideas, new appreciations and new understandings. You will do more than pass the time. You’ll enhance your life.>>

                      So what should you watch?

                      <<Here’s one suggestion: I bet it would be fun to binge-watch Elisabeth Moss right now, perhaps in reverse chronological order. And not her TV shows, but the movies. Start with “Invisible Man,” then “Shirley,” then “The Kitchen,” “Us,” “Her Smell,” and “The Seagull.” She’s about the most dynamic screen actress working right now. It would be interesting to see how that happened. Here’s another one: Clint Eastwood turned 90 last month. Watch every movie that he has directed since 2003’s “Mystic River.” It’s one of the most impressive runs by any director in screen history.>>

                      He also cited doing Vin Diesel.

                      The only flaw in his argument, methinks, is that it's relatively easy (aka cheap) to binge TV series, but movie "collections" not so much, particularly with libraries shut down (although there is Kanopy).


                      Comment


                      • I probably will tune in to the new Perry Mason series on HBO on Sunday night. It is supposed to be a young Perry who is an investigator and not a lawyer - at least not yet.

                        Comment


                        • Some of the greatest binges user4 ever engages in are 12 minute replays of great boxing matches of the past. I watch them at 2x speed and then slow them down when the knock downs start. One of the greatest HW matches of the 1980s: Big John Tate vs Mike Weaver, the pace is slow until round 15.. but then out of nowhere.. wow!

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by gh View Post
                            So, instead of wasting 30 hours binge-watching a TV series, spend the same time watching 15 movies by the same actor, or the same director. For the same amount of binge time, you will go to 15 entirely different worlds, and you will come back with insights and ideas, new appreciations and new understandings. You will do more than pass the time. You’ll enhance your life.
                            Certainly true of Christopher Nolan!
                            (with wiki links)

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by gh View Post
                              my local film critic says that if you're going to binge, do movies, not TV:

                              <<Most people binge-watch TV shows, but TV shows are not the best thing to binge-watch. Yes, I know we keep hearing that this is the best era for television, but let’s be honest: That’s not really saying much, is it? Even today, the vast majority of shows are not worth your time. They’re designed to stretch out a teensy-weensy story over the course of many hours. They’re designed to addict you, while giving you very little.>>

                              He continues...

                              <<So, instead of wasting 30 hours binge-watching a TV series, spend the same time watching 15 movies by the same actor, or the same director. For the same amount of binge time, you will go to 15 entirely different worlds, and you will come back with insights and ideas, new appreciations and new understandings. You will do more than pass the time. You’ll enhance your life.>>

                              So what should you watch?

                              <<Here’s one suggestion: I bet it would be fun to binge-watch Elisabeth Moss right now, perhaps in reverse chronological order. And not her TV shows, but the movies. Start with “Invisible Man,” then “Shirley,” then “The Kitchen,” “Us,” “Her Smell,” and “The Seagull.” She’s about the most dynamic screen actress working right now. It would be interesting to see how that happened. Here’s another one: Clint Eastwood turned 90 last month. Watch every movie that he has directed since 2003’s “Mystic River.” It’s one of the most impressive runs by any director in screen history.>>

                              He also cited doing Vin Diesel.

                              The only flaw in his argument, methinks, is that it's relatively easy (aka cheap) to binge TV series, but movie "collections" not so much, particularly with libraries shut down (although there is Kanopy).

                              The Criterion Channel is the place to go for that. Right now they have director collections of Kurosawa, Jean Renoir, Michael Powell, David Lynch and Rainer Fassbinder among others.

                              If I never saw another Eastwood movie again that would be fine with me.

                              And Vin Diesel?
                              Last edited by Conor Dary; 06-20-2020, 12:23 AM.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                                If I never saw another Eastwood movie again that would be fine with me.
                                This morning I got to quote Dirty Harry, which is always nice. In this case mr. & mrs. hammy met with the neighbor and the logger who is thinning the neighbor's adjacent property. Neighbor has 55 acres (we have five) so it was a half-mile of 4WD trail from his driveway to the logging zone, then a few hundred feet of essentially trailblazing through hilly underbrush with no secure footing and about 30% poison oak. I have two gimpy knees and two gimpy feet, so this was not a trip I was destined to make. mrs. hammy used to be a civil engineer who started her career with a decade of similar field work, so she was busy reliving her youth. As I told them as they were heading off to blaze trails - a man's gotta know his limitations!




                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X