Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We watched the third episode of the new Perry Mason on HBO mini-series last night, definitely worth a watch. Not your daddy's (or childhood's) Perry Mason. Takes place in the 30s, Perry's a drunk WWI vet with issues, Della Street gives Perry tons of backtalk, enough violence & sex to let you know it's contemporary, etc. Only three of the eight episodes have been released so far (last will be out in August), so not quite ready for the full binge-watch yet.

On a side note, mrs. hammy and I both have issues hearing dialog in many current dramas and comedies because for some reason half the actors are mumbling and/or the sound folks are mixing in way too much extraneous crap, so we watch with subtitles. Not so with news shows, late night comedy shows, or on the old Twilight Zone episodes we're slow-binging on; the TZs are crystal clear.

Comment

• I have been re-binging Yellowstone with my daughter who did not watch the first time around. If you just accept that, as in the Sopranos, there are no good guys in this show it is the best entertainment going right now.. or ever.

Comment

• Originally posted by bad hammy View Post
        On a side note, mrs. hammy and I both have issues hearing dialog in many current dramas and comedies because for some reason half the actors are mumbling
        The worst was in one of our favorites shows, Elementary, where Johnny Lee Miller, as Sherlock Holmes, LITERALLY whispered all his lines. So we turned it up, and then the music came on and shredded our tympanic membranes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
          The worst was in one of our favorites shows, Elementary, where Johnny Lee Miller, as Sherlock Holmes, LITERALLY whispered all his lines. So we turned it up, and then the music came on and shredded our tympanic membranes.
          I have a similar complaint about "dark" shows. Not the content, the actual LIGHTING. 50% of some shows are so dark you can barely make out anything. Are the directors just trying to save money, or trying to cover up lack of artistry?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler View Post

I have a similar complaint about "dark" shows. Not the content, the actual LIGHTING. 50% of some shows are so dark you can barely make out anything. Are the directors just trying to save money, or trying to cover up lack of artistry?
            Scenes being shot really dark is a pet peeve of mine. I've actually seen shows where a character gets attacked and you're left wondering whether you were supposed to be able to identify the assailant or whether is is intended to be a mystery that will be resolved later.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trickstat View Post
              Scenes being shot really dark is a pet peeve of mine. I've actually seen shows where a character gets attacked and you're left wondering whether you were supposed to be able to identify the assailant or whether is is intended to be a mystery that will be resolved later.
              Or scenes where you have no idea who's hitting whom because it's shot in such tight close-up. That's why the John Wick films are so good. The camera lets you see the entire context of each fight.

Comment

• if you've got access to epix, new 6-part (5.5-hours) series starting on Sunday called Helter Skelter: An American Myth gets highest rating from my local critic, who concludes, "Artful and extraordinary, this is documentary filmmaking at its best."

Comment

We watched the third episode of the new Perry Mason on HBO mini-series last night, definitely worth a watch. Not your daddy's (or childhood's) Perry Mason. Takes place in the 30s, Perry's a drunk WWI vet with issues, Della Street gives Perry tons of backtalk, enough violence & sex to let you know it's contemporary, etc. Only three of the eight episodes have been released so far (last will be out in August), so not quite ready for the full binge-watch yet.
                  This coming Sunday they air the last episode of season 1 (it's been picked up for a second season), and mrs. hammy and I are still loving it.

Note: edited to remove spoiler.
                  Last edited by bad hammy; 09-06-2020, 06:21 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post
                    if you've got access to epix, new 6-part (5.5-hours) series starting on Sunday called Helter Skelter: An American Myth gets highest rating from my local critic, who concludes, "Artful and extraordinary, this is documentary filmmaking at its best."
                    I'm (finally) 3 episodes in, and it's utterly fabulous, particularly if you have a working knowledge of teh Bugliosi book of the relatively same name.

Comment

• Haven't watched it but will, having read the excellent book. My all-time favorite version of the Manson story - the one with a very happy ending - was told by Quentin Tarantino in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood . . .

Comment

This coming Sunday they air the last episode of season 1 (it's been picked up for a second season), and mrs. hammy and I are still loving it. Interesting twist from the 50s show: Della Street's a lesbian and Hamilton Burger's gay, so they 'date' each other when one of them needs a member of the opposite sex for a social function.

thanks for the spoiler

Comment

• Glad I don't pay for HBO. Sounds like a terrible version of Perry Mason.

Comment

• Originally posted by gm View Post
                            Glad I don't pay for HBO. Sounds like a terrible version of Perry Mason.
                            it's actually quite good, once they get all the character-ID stuff out of the way

Comment

it's actually quite good, once they get all the character-ID stuff out of the way
                              I was a huge fan of the original. It is still shown on MeTV, and has superb picture and sound quality.

Afraid that changes as indicated would make it like Leave it to Beaver where Eddie Haskell is a serial killer and June Cleaver skins live cats for amusement.

Comment

thanks for the spoiler
                                My apologies. It was a very minor plot point that goes to show the show's updating to current sensibilities. I've edited that post and you can edit your response.
                                Last edited by bad hammy; 09-06-2020, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X