Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bad hammy View Post

My apologies. It was a very minor plot point that goes to show the show's updating to current sensibilities. I've edited that post and you can edit your response.
    It makes sense thinking on it now. I wonder what Patricia Highsmith would have done with the characters if she had been a writer on Parry Mason in the 50s.

Comment

• For those who like really good, informative Documentaries I highly recommend: "The Innocence Files." and "Immigrant Nation." Both on Netflix, both engrossing critical looks at the underbelly of the country. "The Innocence Files" is on some of the cases overturned by the Innocence Project. "Immigrant Nation" is a look from both sides of our struggle with immigration, asylum, and refugees, legal and illegal.
      To the above I would also add "13th" by Ava DuVernay, about the mass incarceration of non violent offenders, largely people of color.
      Last edited by jeremyp; 09-26-2020, 05:48 PM.

Comment

• Decided to give Fargo a try, as Season 4 just started, and found it fascinating. Its central premise is a war between rival criminal organizations (Blacks vs. Italians) in 1950 Kansas City, but the sub-plots are engrossing. I did not like the Godfather movies, but this is much better (IMO) because of the writing and 'mood' created. Now I have to decide if I should go back and watch the first 3 seasons (which are all 'stand-alone' story arcs).

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
          Decided to give Fargo a try, as Season 4 just started, and found it fascinating. Its central premise is a war between rival criminal organizations (Blacks vs. Italians) in 1950 Kansas City, but the sub-plots are engrossing. I did not like the Godfather movies, but this is much better (IMO) because of the writing and 'mood' created. Now I have to decide if I should go back and watch the first 3 seasons (which are all 'stand-alone' story arcs).
          Fargo has been one of the better TV shows in the last few years.

Comment

• First contribution to this thread in awhile!
            Despite my (previous) lousy vision--and since it was fixed!--I've binge watched several shows on Hulu and Netflix!

Hulu's "The Act"
            Patricia Arquette & Joey King play in true story of mom/daughter who move to Missouri town after Katrina.
            Mom keeps daughter "sick" & in wheelchair & bald & basically prisoner in her own selfish world.
            First episode, mom is killed & daughter's nowhere to be found.
            The 8 episodes (about 50 mins each) cover story from them moving in to the murder to what happens after!
            Great supporting cast--and extremely intense & difficult to watch!

Hulu's "Younger"
            GREAT comedy/drama/romance about 40 year old divorced mom with 18 year old daughter who says she's 26 in order to return to a job in publishing in NYC after 15 years absence to raise daughter!
            She lies to everyone (actual 26 year old guy, a co-worker (played by Hillary Duff!), her bosses, etc in order to keep her job!
            Over 6 seasons (12 eps per season of 22-23 minutes each), the secret is found out or revealed !
            LOVE this show, and have binge watched entire series 3 or 4 times already!!

Netflix's "Virgin River"
            Supposedly takes place in Humboldt County CA (where I lived for 15 years!)--although there's no such town there!
            About nurse practitioner & mid-wife hired by woman to become an elderly doctor's nurse.
            But HE didn't hire her--and they are at odds from the get-go!
            She of course meets a handsome bar owner---well, you get the idea!
            Well done story of small (TINY!!) town life, with very good character development.
            A drama, with some comical and romantic stuff!

Netflix's "The People vs OJ Simpson"
            From 2016--so believe I'd seen it when on regular TV--this is a docu-drama about the murders and the trial.
            Sarah Paulson is Marcia Clarke!
            OJ's weirdness is overplayed--and ending (for me!) is extremely sickening--as I believe he IS guilty of the double murder!
            But very well done--and totally detailed!

Netflix's "Unorthodox"
            Based on true story of young woman who marries an Orthodox Jew in NYC, but "escapes" and moves to Berlin.
            She builds a life there, but her husband finds her and tries to get her to return to him.
            Great short 4 episode series--with lots of spoken Yiddish (sub-titled!!) and true insights into Orthodox Jewish life!
            (I have a cousin who married an Orthodox Jew back in the 50's--he died a few years ago after a long marriage--and I've heard she hasn't left her apt in 3 years!!)

Netflix's "Unbelievable"
            The best show I've seen in this century!!
            Based on a true story of a serial rapist, with 8 eps of about 45-50 minutes each!
            Teen girl is raped in Seattle suburb in 2008, but because she's confused, detectives wind up not believing her, dropping the case, and charging her with "false testimony!
            Fast forward to 2011 in Colorado!
            A female detective in Golden CO gets a case with exact details to that teen girls case!
            She discovers another female detective--in Westminster CO--has a similar case!
            They meet, exchange info, and wind up working together to solve the case!
            As they proceed, you see what's happening in the WA girl's life--how it's becoming unraveled!
            Without giving too much away, in the end the girl's story is validated!
            But the best thing about this show is the "odd couple" relationship between the 2 female detectives--the one in Westminster played by Toni Collette!
            I've seen the entire series 3 or 4 times, and will watch it again soon with my renewed clear vision!!
            Strongly recommended!

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
              Decided to give Fargo a try, as Season 4 just started, and found it fascinating. Its central premise is a war between rival criminal organizations (Blacks vs. Italians) in 1950 Kansas City, but the sub-plots are engrossing. I did not like the Godfather movies, but this is much better (IMO) because of the writing and 'mood' created. Now I have to decide if I should go back and watch the first 3 seasons (which are all 'stand-alone' story arcs).
              Thanks Atticus, I was waiting for it for since 2017, and would miss more than 2 episodes if you haven't mentioned it. It's just fascinating.

Comment

• Just saw Fargo #3. That scene with Jessie Buckley where she sings the Battle Hymn of the Republic while engaging in onanism with Josto is a classic. She's got the Fargo mien down pat. I see an Emmy for her. Also an accomplished musician I hear.

Comment

• I recommend "Queens Gambit" on Netflix. 50's-60's era Chess series. You don't have to be a chess fan or even know how to play to enjoy it. No stars to take the focus away, in fact I only recognized 2 actors. I turned off "Ratched" after 2 episodes. Just too Hollywood and predictable.

Comment

• Originally posted by jeremyp View Post
                    I recommend "Queens Gambit" on Netflix. 50's-60's era Chess series.
                    We were considering it, so we'll give it a try!

Comment

• Nah, don't watch Queens Gambit
                      unless
                      you are prepared to go non stop on all 7 episodes
                      which is what I did

Comment

• re: HBO's Perry Mason
                        Originally posted by gh View Post

it's actually quite good, once they get all the character-ID stuff out of the way
                        We watched the first episode a month ago and couldn't get into it. I saw this post and we tried again. The whole series was quite good.

Comment

• Mrs. tandfman and I have been watching Queen's Gambit one episode at a time. We watched episode 4 last night. I'm sure that any tv that we watch this evening will have to do with something that can't be discussed here.

Comment

• Queen's Gambit is wel worth the binge. So well acted and well produced that you'll actually be interested in the outcome of chess games.
                            Also recently enjoyed Ted Lasso.... it's corny and predictable but so affirmative that it is a breath of fresh air in 2020. Try to get AppleTV on some kind of free trial deal for a while... aside from Ted Lasso the network doesn't have much to offer. Morning Show is ok.

Comment

• Originally posted by bhall View Post
                              If you like picturesque crime shows I highly recommend Hinterland (Netflix) and Shetland (Amazon).
                              Just finished Shetland, it's good stuff! I enjoyed the scenery as well as the accent.

Comment

• Originally posted by xw View Post

Just finished Shetland, it's good stuff! I enjoyed the scenery as well as the accent.
                                Yep, Shetland was very good!

Comment

Working...
                                X