Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headline - I’m a Chess Expert. Here’s What ‘The Queen’s Gambit’ Gets Right

Interesting article, but probably behind the NY TImes paywall.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/03/a...ns-gambit.html

Comment

• Excellent article....

The games portrayed in the series are not just realistic, they are real, based on actual competitions. For example, the match in which Beth defeats Harry for the Kentucky state title was from a game in Riga, Latvia, in 1955; the last speed chess game in which she beats Benny was played at the Paris Opera in 1858; and the game in which she faces the Russian champion Vasily Borgov (Marcin Dorocinski) in the series finale was played in Biel, Switzerland, in 1993.

Comment

• As the article writes about the model for our heroine was Fischer.

Comment

• Originally posted by xw View Post

Just finished Shetland, it's good stuff! I enjoyed the scenery as well as the accent.
          One of the better "not quite Brits" detective shows. I like the ones in Wales as well, but many have captions, which I like as it's authentic. "Bang" is on Acorn, and has Colin Jackson's sister as the top cop. As she doesn't speak Welsh she gets to do English!

Comment

• Originally posted by jeremyp View Post

One of the better "not quite Brits" detective shows. I like the ones in Wales as well, but many have captions, which I like as it's authentic. "Bang" is on Acorn, and has Colin Jackson's sister as the top cop. As she doesn't speak Welsh she gets to do English!
            I have been to Wales many times and a large majority there don't speak Welsh...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...Welsh-speakers

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

I have been to Wales many times and a large majority there don't speak Welsh...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...Welsh-speakers
              Yes, those who speak Welsh as a first language or are truly bilingual tend to be concentrated in the north of Wales.

Comment

• in a binge of sorts, the last 5 nights I sequentially watched the Marx Brothers movies that had all four of them: The Cocoanuts (1929), Animal Crackers (1930), Monkey Business (1931), Horse Feathers (1932) and Duck Soup (1933). They hold up pretty well after 90-odd years (well, at least they do if you like screwball humor). I still consider Duck Soup close to the funniest movie ever made.

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post
                  in a binge of sorts, the last 5 nights I sequentially watched the Marx Brothers movies that had all four of them: The Cocoanuts (1929), Animal Crackers (1930), Monkey Business (1931), Horse Feathers (1932) and Duck Soup (1933). They hold up pretty well after 90-odd years (well, at least they do if you like screwball humor). I still consider Duck Soup close to the funniest movie ever made.
                  If I recall correctly, Duck Soup has a brief clip of an early Boston Marathon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chicago View Post

If I recall correctly, Duck Soup has a brief clip of an early Boston Marathon.
                    yes, has 2-3 second clip of some marathon

Comment

• Originally posted by Trickstat View Post

Yes, those who speak Welsh as a first language or are truly bilingual tend to be concentrated in the north of Wales.
                      Yup. My mother was Welsh, born in Newport (South) and didn't speak much Welsh.

Comment

yes, has 2-3 second clip of some marathon
                        It's pretty comical....pops out of nowhere...

Definitely Boston...near Hopkinton.

Comment

in a binge of sorts, the last 5 nights I sequentially watched the Marx Brothers movies that had all four of them: The Cocoanuts (1929), Animal Crackers (1930), Monkey Business (1931), Horse Feathers (1932) and Duck Soup (1933). They hold up pretty well after 90-odd years (well, at least they do if you like screwball humor). I still consider Duck Soup close to the funniest movie ever made.
                          All great...and do hold up well. I've watched Duck Soup countless times.

Last night I watched for the first time the 1923 Harold Lloyd in Safety Last! on the Criterion Channel. Where he climbs a building in the end with the famous scene hanging from the clock. Amazing how good it was.

Comment

• I, too, was a Marx Brothers fan, and I also considered Duck Soup their funniest movie, but I think if I had to put together a binge session, my next two choices would be Horse Feathers and A Night at the Opera.

Comment

• I thought Queen's Gambit started out exceptionally strong, but faded as it went on. Still worth the watch though.

Comment

• Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                                I, too, was a Marx Brothers fan, and I also considered Duck Soup their funniest movie, but I think if I had to put together a binge session, my next two choices would be Horse Feathers and A Night at the Opera.
                                Duck Soup is on the Criterion Channel and I watched it last night again and it still holds up. Part of it is just over an hour long. So almost no dead time waiting for the next funny scene.

Comment

Working...
                                X