Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We finished Queen's Gambit last night and it has the hammy-house seal of approval. Agree with gh that it started better than it finished. SFGate's Culture Editor a big fan:

Netflix's most popular show 'The Queen's Gambit' is the best sports show of all-time

It’s a classic underdog sports story: Unlikely prodigy battles demons to become the best in the world. But we are not talking about high-octane sports like football or basketball or knife throwing (someone should really make a knife throwing show). This is chess, the least glamorous sport one could possibly imagine. Which is why it’s so shocking that “Queen’s Gambit” is the most exciting sports show since “Friday Night Lights” and perhaps the only show focusing on athletics that’s worthy of the title prestige TV.

https://www.sfgate.com/tv/article/qu...v-15689151.php

Comment

• We just finished The Queen's Gambit this evening. Certainly not the ending I expected, but no complaints. Very good show.

Comment

• The final game is based on a real game from 1993...

Comment

• on the C19 thread i made a pointer, and as a response Dr. Jay said <<That was excellent, and the interview with Ken Burns that followed was a breath of fresh air amid all the stressful stuff in the news.>>

to see what he meant about Burns, watch this (well worth your time): https://www.cbsnews.com/video/ken-bu...es-2020-11-08/

makes me think I should spend the rest of my life bingeing watches of the entire Burns canon.

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post
            on the C19 thread i made a pointer, and as a response Dr. Jay said <<That was excellent, and the interview with Ken Burns that followed was a breath of fresh air amid all the stressful stuff in the news.>>

to see what he meant about Burns, watch this (well worth your time): https://www.cbsnews.com/video/ken-bu...es-2020-11-08/

makes me think I should spend the rest of my life bingeing watches of the entire Burns canon.
            I've been alternating between Baseball and Ken's brother Ric's New York City Documentary which was every bit as good as Ken Burns docs done in exactly the same fashion. I think being from NYC makes it more compelling.

Comment

• Headline - How ‘The Queen’s Gambit’ Started a New Debate About Sexism in Chess

Sub-headline - The Netflix hit captures the struggles of women in the game, where female grandmasters are rare. But the reality, one top player says, is worse.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/10/a...men-chess.html

(I assume this is behind the NY Times paywall.)

Comment

• It could be women have more sense.....

Martin Gardner in one of his Dr. Matrix books wrote ....chess is the greatest waste of talent outside of an advertising agency...
                Last edited by Conor Dary; 11-11-2020, 03:34 AM.

Comment

• We watched Burns' hour-long Brooklyn Bridge documentary last night. His first work and worthy, but gets a B- when compared to his A+ for the Civil War, Country Music, etc. Interesting to see how much he improved after that first effort. We watched it via Amazon Prime and learned one can subscribe to PBS documentaries for only $3.99/mo, with access to all of Burns' work, NOVA, American Experience, and more. I think they just created that offering this summer. And, in looking at the site offering that, I learned a new word, oeuvre, as in "Ken Burns' oeuvre", defined as "the works of a painter, composer, or author regarded collectively".
                  Last edited by DrJay; 11-11-2020, 04:32 PM.

Comment

• During the 60 Minutes segment on Burns, they read part of the beautiful letter, used in the Civil War documentary, that Sullivan Ballou wrote to his wife a week before he was killed in battle. My wife teared up big-time as it was read. I just googled Ballou, and, how disappointing, he was probably just bullshitting his wife, since according to wiki, "Sullivan Ballou was a lawyer and politician from Rhode Island...."
                    :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                      We just finished The Queen's Gambit this evening. Certainly not the ending I expected, but no complaints. Very good show.
                      I finally finished it... very good indeed.

And yes it does fade in the latter episodes....I started fast forwarding....

The best part was how realistic the chess matches were without being dull...
                      Last edited by Conor Dary; 11-11-2020, 11:59 PM.

Comment

• Thanks for the heads-up on the Ken Burns/60 minutes interview ... that was brilliant !

Comment

• A binge-worthy candidate that isn't because despite an overwhelming amount of source material to work they decided to make only a single 2-hour movie: The Trial Of The Chicago 7, which suffered markedly from the condensation. Frank Langella's portrayal of a batshit Judge Julius Hoffman is spectacular.

I may have to get a good book on the whole thing just to see what was real and what Sorkin took artistic license with.

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

I finally finished it... very good indeed.

And yes it does fade in the latter episodes....I started fast forwarding....

The best part was how realistic the chess matches were without being dull...
                            I started to binge on Agadmator's chess channel on YouTube after watching the series, this guy's commentaries are concise and enjoyable

Comment

• Originally posted by xw View Post

I started to binge on Agadmator's chess channel on YouTube after watching the series, this guy's commentaries are concise and enjoyable
                              I watch that YouTube channel also from time-to-time although I am not much of a chess player and don't understand the analysis fully

Comment

• We have the first episode of The Civil War on tap for this weekend. But my wife thought that might be a bit depressing so wanted also to start something else. So we watched the first episode of Queen's Gambit last night.

Comment

Working...
                                X