Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gh View Post

in googling for an answer to this I found a site that doesn't treate Foote terribly kindly.

http://cwmemory.com/2015/08/31/the-s...the-civil-war/
    My take is that Foote was there primarily for commentary on the military aspects of the war rather than the social. He gets a lot of airtime because there were a lot of military aspects - it was a fairly big war . . .

Comment

I just started..... great stuff!
      Saw this post, and I am already nearly through the first two seasons! Aside from being a riveting series, it deserves some special recognition for the amount of smoking and alcohol consumption. I appreciate good whisky served "neat", but these folks knock it back like a Diet Coke! And who thinks it was a good idea to let Arthur take up "Tokyo"?

Comment

in googling for an answer to this I found a site that doesn't treate Foote terribly kindly.

http://cwmemory.com/2015/08/31/the-s...the-civil-war/
        Is the author of that article , Kevin Levin, some kind of psycho?

Who sits and watches a programme to count the 7,653 words spoken by Foote, as well ss the words of everyone else, so that he can conclude that Foote spoke 73.5% of all words in the programme.

Comment

• Originally posted by jeremyp View Post
          "The Crown" on Netflix tonight. Hello Princess Di!
          I'm almost done: like seasons 1-3 and absolutely enthralling romp through British history. Lotsa great back stories.

Comment

I'm almost done: like seasons 1-3 and absolutely enthralling romp through British history. Lotsa great back stories.
            My wife is addicted, but it turns out they took many 'liberties' with what actually happened, which, if I recall all the shenanigans, they really didn't need to,

Comment

• I am binge watching old Charlie Chan movies.

Comment

• We're in midst- 3rd Rock From the Sun -binge. I forgot what a comic genius John Lithgow is. Up there with Jonathan Winters, Red Skelton, and Robin Williams in manic inventiveness and rubber-faced-ness.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                  My wife is addicted, but it turns out they took many 'liberties' with what actually happened, which, if I recall all the shenanigans, they really didn't need to,
                  Private conversations can never be truthfully represented. The bigger problem with it are the opinions about why and how individual Royals thought and acted. It's intriguing fiction about real events. As is most history.

Comment

• my Xmas binge was a half-dozen Kurosawa samurai epics:

Yojimbo
                    Sanjuro
                    Throne Of Blood
                    The Hidden Fortress
                    Seven Samurai
                    Ran

I can only marvel at his genius every time I watch one of his works

Comment

• Watched Clooney in "Midnight Sky." A drag! Much slow moving ado about very little. Critics love to dig deep into shallow soil.

Comment

my Xmas binge was a half-dozen Kurosawa samurai epics:

Yojimbo
                        Sanjuro
                        Throne Of Blood
                        The Hidden Fortress
                        Seven Samurai
                        Ran

I can only marvel at his genius every time I watch one of his works
                        Yes great films....watching Yojimbo on Criterion I was amazed how much Sergio Leone just copied the entire movie for A Fistful of Dollars.

Comment

• In these dark days at the end of the year when our normal programming is on hiatus, mrs. hammy & I have started watching Dickensian, an entertaining mash-up of Charles Dickens characters from most of his novels all thrown together in the same plot (a murder mystery). Very well done - hammy-house recommended!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dickensian_(TV_series)

Comment

• Originally posted by jeremyp View Post
                            Watched Clooney in "Midnight Sky." A drag! Much slow moving ado about very little. Critics love to dig deep into shallow soil.
                            Thanks for the warning. Other reviews were also less than enthusiastic. The premise is promising, but I guess I'll pass.

Comment

• "Very well done - hammy-house recommended!"

When Dickens had his 200th birthday 9y ago PBS did about everything and it was very good. I don't know if Little Dorrit was the best but the two lead actors eventually became major stars Macfadyen and Foy.

Comment

• I binge watched Hallmark's "When Calls the Heart"'s first 5 seasons on Netflix a few years ago.
                                (BTW, it's leaving Netflix around January 25th!)
                                I also bought seasons 6 & 7 for my video library on Amazon, so have seen all 7 seasons!

Well, recently discovered all 7 seasons are now available on DVD----a "Premium" edition for $132 (includes all 78 episodes, including the Christmas movies, plus 24 hours of "extras"!!---and a regular edition, also having all 78 episodes, but no extras---for about $95!

I bought the "Premium" edition (company called Edify near or part of Spokane) for $144 ($132 plus $12 tax)---receiving it just 4 days after ordering!

Now binge watching the whole thing--except using my brand new DVD's---have just finished the first season!
                                Still as great as ever!!

Comment

Working...
                                X