Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• over the weekend I binged Manhunt: Deadly Games, which since I was only 3-odd miles from the bombing in Atlanta, had particular interest. And it was good enough that I went back and watched Manhunt: The Unabomber again. I suspect a lot of artistic license taken with both shows, but both compelling bingey material.

Comment

• Originally posted by bad hammy View Post
      We watched the third episode of the new Perry Mason on HBO mini-series last night, definitely worth a watch. Not your daddy's (or childhood's) Perry Mason. Takes place in the 30s, Perry's a drunk WWI vet with issues, Della Street gives Perry tons of backtalk, enough violence & sex to let you know it's contemporary, etc. Only three of the eight episodes have been released so far (last will be out in August), so not quite ready for the full binge-watch yet.

On a side note, mrs. hammy and I both have issues hearing dialog in many current dramas and comedies because for some reason half the actors are mumbling and/or the sound folks are mixing in way too much extraneous crap, so we watch with subtitles. Not so with news shows, late night comedy shows, or on the old Twilight Zone episodes we're slow-binging on; the TZs are crystal clear.

Finally got around to it by buying in to HBO MAX for a month. A great reminder for "California Noir" such as the Philip Marlowe movies and "Chinatown" Polanski's masterpiece. I wondered how they were going to "evolve" him. Just as well, what a jerk the early P.M. was. E. S. Gardner turning in his grave.

Comment

• Originally posted by jeremyp View Post
        Just as well, what a jerk the early P.M. was.
        Ha, mrs. hammy & I just started watching original Perry on cbs all access. The shows are actually unintendedly funny in ways and Perry is much more devious than I remember (I was a kid, born at the end of year one of its nine year run). Fun to watch.

Comment

• I just finished watching the complete The Untouchables series Starring Robert Stack.

About to start The Avengers, the Complete Emma Peel Megaset. Starring the late Patrick Macnee, and the late gorgeous Diana Riggs. Mrs Peel had it going on in her day.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Klingon View Post
            About to start The Avengers, the Complete Emma Peel Megaset. Starring the late Patrick Macnee, and the late gorgeous Diana Riggs. Mrs Peel had it going on in her day.
            I keep looking to see if that is streamable on any of my services, but alas, not yet.
            I my have to spring for that Peel mega-set at 19.96!

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
              I keep looking to see if that is streamable on any of my services, but alas, not yet.
              I my have to spring for that Peel mega-set at 19.96!
              $19.96!!!!!! I would jump on that if I were you. I paid $39.99 for the set. There is two things I hate about it. The packaging SUCKS. I would not mind having to pay more if the packaging was better. The other thing I hate is the episodes that are in black and white, you have to push "play" after each episode to play the next episode. The color episodes, you don't have to do that. You just push "play" at the beginning and all 3 episodes on that disc will play. I like that.

Comment

I may have to spring for that Peel mega-set at 19.96!
                Well . . . I may have ordered it, and I may have received it today, and it may have all 51 episodes with Emma, and I may be getting ready to binge it ASAP.
                I can neither confirm nor deny a life-time crush on Mrs. Peel.
                I will, however, admit that it my FAVORITE show of my teen-age years.

Comment

• Scanning Hulu's list of TV shows for something new to watch, I landed on an "oldie", The Handmaid's Tale.
                  It's been on Hulu awhile--and is still going--but I'd passed on it due to my aversion of sci-fantasy stories--in books and movies and tv shows!

But here I am, having watched the first 4 episodes of season 1 non-stop!
                  It's a bit "today", especially as it reveals the aftermath of a "2nd civil war"!
                  It's also a strong feminist manifesto--which was made manifest (sic!) by them playing Leslie Gore's "You Don't Own Me" at the end of the first episode!!

It's a bit tough to watch---especially when they go back and forth between the war and the results of the war.
                  Elizabeth Moss is great---her facial expressions telling much of the story.
                  Ann Dowd (the Aunt) I remember from her role as Masters's mother in "Masters of Sex"--her being the only recognizable name in the cast!

For the nonce, I'm hooked!

Comment

• So far, I am sad to report, The Avengers hasn't aged well. What was campy in the 60s is kitschy now. I'll keep watching, for nostalgia's sake, and Mrs. Peel is wonderful, but the plots are just TOO silly. I think the end of the Cold War affected our tastes in 'intrigue'. We're more about Jason Bourne than Cybernauts.

Comment

So far, I am sad to report, The Avengers hasn't aged well. What was campy in the 60s is kitschy now. I'll keep watching, for nostalgia's sake, and Mrs. Peel is wonderful, but the plots are just TOO silly. I think the end of the Cold War affected our tastes in 'intrigue'. We're more about Jason Bourne than Cybernauts.
                      LOL!!! LOL!!! Well, I can't argue with your assessment. I don't think the Avengers were meant to be taken serious. Yes, it is campy. Ya, es ist Kitschy. LOL!! But that's what makes it fun to watch. Dry, British, sarcasm, wit, escapism? (I am not sure of the word I should use).

Lots of people gets killed, and you never see one drop of blood. LOL!! LOL!!

Comment

• This is an interesting series on Netflix.

Why Sigourney Weaver had to say yes to Call My Agent

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-55736140

Comment

• Watched Part 1 of Lupin, https://www.netflix.com/title/80994082, dubbed in English. Enjoyable. It is originally in French.

Comment

• Don't know if 2 episodes is considered any form of binging but I watched Ken Burns "Lewis and Clark" over the last two days. Fantastic. I saw it back in the day but it didn't diminish the fantastic-ness.

Comment

• Originally posted by bhall View Post
                              Watched Part 1 of Lupin, https://www.netflix.com/title/80994082, dubbed in English. Enjoyable. It is originally in French.
                              French dubbed in English? Sacre Bleu! Merde Alors!

Comment

• Anyone else watch "In and Of Itself" on Hulu? Blew me away.

Comment

Working...
                                X