Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for the input guys. I would not have been comfortable upstairs or downstairs. I still say the scriptwriters should have looked at a map before creating some of the storylines.
    I have queried this before and I still cannot understand how there were enough arable land and other natural resources to create and sustain the great estates.

Comment

• Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
      Thanks for the input guys. I would not have been comfortable upstairs or downstairs. I still say the scriptwriters should have looked at a map before creating some of the storylines.
      I have queried this before and I still cannot understand how there were enough arable land and other natural resources to create and sustain the great estates.
      They weren't farms like a plantation...the original owners of Wollaton Hall got their money owning coal mines... they were primarily gardens...

Last edited by Conor Dary; 02-26-2021, 12:01 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trickstat View Post

I must admit I've never seen it but I do remember it was filmed near to me at Knebworth House, whose grounds were used for the 1984 English Women's National Cross-Country champs. The senior race was won by Jane Furniss/Shields.

Wollaton Park is one of the top cross-country venues and has hosted the National Champs, the World Trials and the English Schools' Champs.
        This is my favorite scene in the movie....with John Gielgud and James Mason....quite delightful.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dQoEfrSxyV8

Comment

• From reading some of the articles, I understand that agriculture, mining, timber, and trade were supplanted/supplemented in the 20th Century by manufacturing in building great fortunes. I never did grasp English inheritance laws from watching Downton. Aristocratic lineage goes waaaay back and, apparently is still in force.
          I guess I need a degree in Historical English Economics to understand how the original tenant farmers generated enough income from small farms to support themselves and the landowners.
          My interest is piqued because my European ancestor came to America from England (downstairs or outside no doubt) in the 18th Century where he assimilated into the Creek/Choctaw tribe. His grandson, my great grandfather, was caught in the Trail of Tears exodus from Georgia to Indian Territory in the 1830s.
          By way of, I suspect, unintentional collateral reparations, my grandchildren receive modest tribal benefits.

Comment

• Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
            my great grandfather, was caught in the Trail of Tears exodus from Georgia to Indian Territory in the 1830s.
            I'm guessing you are ready for Tubman to replace Jackson on the $20 bill? I am.

Comment

• Ken Burns "Vietnam War" about halfway through the 11 episodes. Doesn't really paint the leadership of the US at the time in a positive fashion. One of those tough to watch but can't take your eyes off it docs.

Comment

• Ken Burns "Vietnam War" about halfway through the 11 episodes. Doesn't really paint the leadership of the US at the time in a positive fashion.

I can't imagine why...

Comment

• Answer: "Binge Watching" just means watching a lot of episodes in a row or in a short amount of 9Apps Showbox time. That's it.
                  Last edited by winkybill; 03-10-2021, 09:30 AM.

Comment

• What was the question??

Comment

• Originally posted by winkybill View Post
                      Answer: "Binge Watching" just means watching a lot of episodes in a row or in a short amount of time. That's it.
                      Ha! That's so 5 minutes ago.

Bingeing is now watching anything on a narrow subject. You can binge Bond movies or old Loony-Toon cartoons or the 2019 Doha Finals.

Comment

• Been watching Boardwalk Empire...interesting....

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                          Ken Burns "Vietnam War" about halfway through the 11 episodes. Doesn't really paint the leadership of the US at the time in a positive fashion.

I can't imagine why...
                          I binge slowly and just finished last night. What a fantastic documentary. While your comment may be one of obviousness to some...particularly those a bit older than I...it was a learning experience to me. I was a pre teen and early high schooler during the Vietnam War and have never really gone back to study it. So seeing it from the origins was extremely interesting. Much of the later episodes, particularly of the late 60's and early 70's in the US, I definitely recall pretty clearly. Some of the events such as the Kent State killings were amongst the earliest I can recall being at odds with my parents about even though I was 13 at the time. They, like many Americans, thought the kids were wrong...more the half the country felt that way. An incredible thought to me at the time and certainly now.

Comment

• Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

I binge slowly and just finished last night. What a fantastic documentary. While your comment may be one of obviousness to some...particularly those a bit older than I...it was a learning experience to me. I was a pre teen and early high schooler during the Vietnam War and have never really gone back to study it. So seeing it from the origins was extremely interesting. Much of the later episodes, particularly of the late 60's and early 70's in the US, I definitely recall pretty clearly. Some of the events such as the Kent State killings were amongst the earliest I can recall being at odds with my parents about even though I was 13 at the time. They, like many Americans, thought the kids were wrong...more the half the country felt that way. An incredible thought to me at the time and certainly now.
                            I remember when the Pentagon Papers came out...I was only 17 then but it seemed like the beginning of the end....

The best book on Vietnam I believe is Neil Sheehan's A Bright Shining Lie...
                            Last edited by Conor Dary; 03-10-2021, 01:57 AM.

Comment

• I've been watching "Call My Agent" with my wife on Netflix. Its a French language comedy filmed in Paris that I'm sure will eventually be re-made into a lesser version in Los Angeles. "Real" actors sometimes play themselves as they interact with their theatrical agents.

Comment

• Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
                                They, like many Americans, thought the kids were wrong...more the half the country felt that way. An incredible thought to me at the time and certainly now.
                                For me it was the second great divide in America in my lifetime. The first was the Jim Crow segregationist south, the second the Vietnam war. The Vietnam war divided in more than one way. College students, for the most part, didn't want to get drafted, so they had a reason to be against it. I dropped out of ROTC in college because I just couldn't see myself leading my peers into harms way for a cause I didn't believe in. I ended up getting drafted but was lucky not to serve in Vietnam. I stopped reading the Stars and Stripes because I was seeing too many names from my basic training company show up in the obituaries.

Comment

Working...
                                X