Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wish I would have discovered this thread a year or two ago! Great observations and recommendations (Peaky Blinders, Lupin, Bosch, Queen's Gambit, etc.).

Binge watched The Expanse. If you Love sci-fi then this is a must. Took me a month to get through season 1 (10 episodes) but only took me another 6 weeks to get through seasons 2-5 (46 episodes). Loved Dominique Tipper (Naomi Nagata), Thomas Jane (Miller), Wes Chatham (Amos) & Shohreh Aghdashloo (UN Secretary General Chrisjen). Too many others to mention.

Comment

• I recommend "Mare of Easttown" on HBO. American Noir. Solid cast headed by Cate Winslett. I'm 2 episodes short of the end and have no clue who the killer is. It's cookie cutter Nordic Noir plot wise, but stays on course.

Comment

• Originally posted by jeremyp View Post
        I recommend "Mare of Easttown" on HBO. American Noir. Solid cast headed by Cate Winslett. I'm 2 episodes short of the end and have no clue who the killer is. It's cookie cutter Nordic Noir plot wise, but stays on course.
        We should discuss after you've finished.

Comment

• Originally posted by booond View Post

We should discuss after you've finished.
          O.K. Spoiler alert!!! I thought the writer/Director went out of their way to lead us up and down the garden path about the "Killer" before settling on the real one. Near fratricide over protecting someone was a tad extreme. Felt sorry for poor Mare, she got the brunt of everybody's projected anger. So many characters who wouldn't take responsibility for their own crap. Overall not too many RUFng kidding me moments. Loved Jean Smart. Great comedic timing for a 70 year old.

Comment

O.K. Spoiler alert!!! I thought the writer/Director went out of their way to lead us up and down the garden path about the "Killer" before settling on the real one. Near fratricide over protecting someone was a tad extreme. Felt sorry for poor Mare, she got the brunt of everybody's projected anger. So many characters who wouldn't take responsibility for their own crap. Overall not too many RUFng kidding me moments. Loved Jean Smart. Great comedic timing for a 70 year old.
            I will try not to add any other spoilers. It's a solid procedural but it starts running off the rails when Mare attempts to frame another character and then the rescue of the missing women/death of a cop, which should be a huge deal, was underplayed. But the last episode is a mess and the final twist in finding the killer was unbelievable... in that I couldn't believe the killer would be able to do it or would do it.

Kate Winslet is great, Jean Smart is great, Guy Pearce is way underutilized. The setting is every small town in the Northeast in that they could do a version from Maine to Pennsylvania and all they would need to do was swap accents. Too many characters are eff-ups to the point that the only redeemable character is Mare's daughter who, thankfully for her sake, leaves town to go to school. It was worth watching but not sure it would be worth watching again.

Comment

• Originally posted by booond View Post

I will try not to add any other spoilers. It's a solid procedural but it starts running off the rails when Mare attempts to frame another character and then the rescue of the missing women/death of a cop, which should be a huge deal, was underplayed. But the last episode is a mess and the final twist in finding the killer was unbelievable... in that I couldn't believe the killer would be able to do it or would do it.

Kate Winslet is great, Jean Smart is great, Guy Pearce is way underutilized. The setting is every small town in the Northeast in that they could do a version from Maine to Pennsylvania and all they would need to do was swap accents. Too many characters are eff-ups to the point that the only redeemable character is Mare's daughter who, thankfully for her sake, leaves town to go to school. It was worth watching but not sure it would be worth watching again.
              Mostly agree. I did think the long, tension building scene in the kidnapper's dilapidated hideout was superb. I love scenes where you think of nothing but what's on the screen.

Comment

• Totally agree... the shooting scene in the run-down bar is not just great TV, it would be great film making even for the big screen.
                If you get Apple TV (which is sometimes a real pain in the ass technically, at least for our wifi) then Mosquito Coast is very well done and a new season of Ted Lasso is on the horizon, though the freshness of season 1 will be hard to maintain.

Comment

Mostly agree. I did think the long, tension building scene in the kidnapper's dilapidated hideout was superb. I love scenes where you think of nothing but what's on the screen.
                  Agree. I meant more the aftermath of the rescue, which was important at the beginning of the show, became a yawn once accomplished.

Comment

• Perhaps not technically a binge watch as it is a special, but I've watched Bo Burnham's Inside on netflix several times and think it's just incredible. Mostly, I just love the songs. If you don't feel like investing the full 90+ minutes, at least look up the "White Woman's Instagram" song. Been stuck in my head for weeks now.

Comment

• Bosch's final season was great as usual. Looking forward to the spinoff, whenever it comes.

Comment

• The 3rd season of "Virgin River" is coming to Netflix on July 9th, so I've been RE-watching the 1st two seasons recently!

Comment

• I have a question for anyone who might know how to direct me. I want to get rid of comcast, but I want to keep certain channels. Is there a site where a person can be helped to streaming channels that have most if not all that I need. E.G. I want to keep CBS, NBC, MSNBC, CNN, AMC, yada, yada but want to avoid all the crappy stuff. I have thought of going basic with comcast and adding streaming channels that have the things basic doesn't have. I asked someone at Best Buy about it and was laughed at. It would seem to me a good business for someone to be in. Enquiring minds...

Comment

I have a question for anyone who might know how to direct me. I want to get rid of comcast, but I want to keep certain channels. Is there a site where a person can be helped to streaming channels that have most if not all that I need. E.G. I want to keep CBS, NBC, MSNBC, CNN, AMC, yada, yada but want to avoid all the crappy stuff. I have thought of going basic with comcast and adding streaming channels that have the things basic doesn't have. I asked someone at Best Buy about it and was laughed at. It would seem to me a good business for someone to be in. Enquiring minds...
                            Philo with local TV antennae will probably work for you unless you need sports packages. Once you need sports packages you're probably talking about youtube TV which will give you all of the sports, locals plus most of what you would watch. But I'll guess it'll also be missing one or two you do want such as...for me...A&E.

Comment

• Originally posted by Merner521 View Post
                              Perhaps not technically a binge watch as it is a special, but I've watched Bo Burnham's Inside on netflix several times and think it's just incredible. Mostly, I just love the songs. If you don't feel like investing the full 90+ minutes, at least look up the "White Woman's Instagram" song. Been stuck in my head for weeks now.
                              Only one watch but agree that it's great.

Comment

• Originally posted by gm View Post
                                Bosch's final season was great as usual. Looking forward to the spinoff, whenever it comes.
                                great, indeed!

spinoff will be Bosch tracking down vintage jazz vinyl

Comment

Working...
                                X