Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gh View Post
    if you've already binged everything on the planet....

26 Brilliant Movies That Critics Were Wrong About
    A group of films, ranging from art-house gems to big blockbusters, that deserve a fresh look

https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/...h-list/619975/
    Man, I have some catching up to do. I have not seen any of those movies,

Comment

• Disclaimer--just saw the 1st episode of season one of "Big Sky", so this isn't YET a binge-watch report!
      But the episode was so WILD, I'm locked in!!

Here's SOME of what happened in that 1st episode--
      Kylie Bunbury (former star of "Pitch") stars as a partner in her own Private Detective agency in Montana (near Yellowstone).
      She apparently had been in an affair with her female partner, but is now in an affair with her partner's husband, while they're separated!!
      The 2 women get into a fist fight in a bar after a verbal fight at their office!
      Then there's a 38 year old semi-truck driver who lives with his mother!
      He kidnaps a prostitute as he's leaving a truck stop!
      Then there's 2 young women (sisters?) whose car first tries to pass the truck after the trucker tries to run them off the road!
      Their car breaks down, and the trucker stops and kidnaps them too!!

Hang in there, there's more!!

The guy--also a P.I--who's having the affair--is called in to assist an almost retired State Patrolman (who's unhappily married), after he tells him there's been a dozen disappearances of women recently in the area--thus this leads to Bunbury and the guy's estranged husband (though he's in bed with his wife when he gets the call) getting involved in the investigation of the missing women--especially the young ones most recently kidnapped!

Finally, riight at the end of the episode, as the detective and the patrolman are ready to drive off--the patrolman pulls out a gun and kills the etective!!

Did I say "WILD"???
      Can't wait to rewatch episode 1- to understand all the tangled web of characters better--and then to continue watching the entire season!!
      BTW, it's on Hulu!
      Look under "crime TV shows" there!

LOL

Comment

26 QUIRKY Movies That Critics Were Wrong About
        Fixed the headline.

While I appreciate the fresh eye that the author (providing what can only be described as a . . . unique . . . perspective) brings to the analysis, there's a reason why most tanked with critics and audiences alike - there were too far off the beaten path (not that the beaten path is always the best way to go!).

I have seen 8 of these, and while Aeon Flux is a great movie for what it was trying to do, the others were just . . . quirky. There are moments that are cool, but the end product is less than the sum of the good parts. A movie has to holistically appeal to viewers, not just impress them with certain aspects.

That will be $0.02, please.

Comment

• Of the ones I saw on the list, about 6, I liked. Dune was fun but you really needed to have read the book to have any idea what was going on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
            Of the ones I saw on the list, about 6, I liked. Dune was fun but you really needed to have read the book to have any idea what was going on.
            Foundation starts today on Apple+ and then the Dune remake next month. Both need EXTENSIVE plot explication to follow them. I have reread plot summaries for both and am ready!!

Comment

Of the ones I saw on the list, about 6, I liked. Dune was fun but you really needed to have read the book to have any idea what was going on.
              Agreed, and I love Sci-Fi.

I think I've seen 6-7.

Halloween III - I totally agree! Totally. I remember as a kid being upset that Michael Myers was nowhere to be seen. However, after further review and becoming an adult I absolutely love this one. It's a stand-alone story centered around Halloween and has great scenes of gore, great jump-scares, a creepy story and a ear-worm theme song. Very, very underrated.

Jason X - My wife was in Barbados with the lit'l uns and I decided to go to the drive-in. It was a double-feature. I can't remember the other movie, but I sure do remember this one. Maybe it was because it was so different? Whatever, it was memorable and loopy fun.

Blood Work - I'm not sure I've seen a bad Eastwood, and this is no exception.

Deja Vu - I'm not sure I've seen a bad Washington, and this is no exception.
              You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

I've read Dune about 25 times, starting when it was a serial in Analog when I was in high school. I have another 19 books that are sequels/prequels. It's quite a franchise.

Comment

• I also like Halloween 3, but for different reasons.
                  The movie was filmed in Loleta CA--near where I lived in Humboldt County CA--Loleta is just south of Eureka.
                  I used to drive taxi there, and anytime I went there--after the movie came out--I'd get the chills seeing the building where the mask factory was supposed to be.
                  They probably filmed the exteriors there, with the inside being filmed in a studio!

But it was eerie seeing that building--and the railroad tracks and the streets---because I knew them so well!!

Same thing happened years after seeing Hitchcock's The Birds, filmed in Bodega Bay CA.
                  I drive there one time, and the view when Tippie Hedren drove there to bring the birds to that guy was exactly the same---even the road she drove to get to his house, the boat docks, everything!
                  Again, eerie!!

Comment

• I've seen three, and none of them are on my must see again list.

Comment

• Definitely looking forward to Foundation, my all-time fave sci-fi lit franchise.

Comment

• Originally posted by aaronk View Post
                        I also like Halloween 3, but for different reasons.
                        The movie was filmed in Loleta CA--near where I lived in Humboldt County CA--Loleta is just south of Eureka.
                        I used to drive taxi there, and anytime I went there--after the movie came out--I'd get the chills seeing the building where the mask factory was supposed to be.
                        They probably filmed the exteriors there, with the inside being filmed in a studio!

But it was eerie seeing that building--and the railroad tracks and the streets---because I knew them so well!!

Same thing happened years after seeing Hitchcock's The Birds, filmed in Bodega Bay CA.
                        I drive there one time, and the view when Tippie Hedren drove there to bring the birds to that guy was exactly the same---even the road she drove to get to his house, the boat docks, everything!
                        Again, eerie!!
                        Very cool!
                        You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

• Originally posted by bad hammy View Post
                          Definitely looking forward to Foundation, my all-time fave sci-fi lit franchise.
                          a trilogy I'm not sure I've read since my teens in the '60s!

Comment

a trilogy I'm not sure I've read since my teens in the '60s!
                            I read the original trilogy as a 15yo, and then Dune, which had been published the year before (trip to the Library!)

Comment

• Did any of you watch LuLaRich? I'm in it

Comment

• You're actually in it? I'll have to check that out.

Ps. Where in the show are you?
                                Last edited by Conor Dary; 10-03-2021, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X