13 Twin Peaks: The Return (2017)
    14 Atlanta (2016-)
    15 Chernobyl (2019)
    16 The Crown (2016-)
    17 30 Rock (2006-2013)
    18 Deadwood (2004-2006)
    19 Lost (2004-2010)
    20 The Thick of It (2005-2012)
    Last edited by jeremyp; 10-19-2021, 10:52 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jeremyp View Post
      Another list.Top 100 TV shows. This Century
      I'd put

The Mentalist
      Elementary
      Big Bang Theory
      Justified
      Ted Lasso (
      but starting to fade)

ahead of them,

and

Tiger King and The Last Dance will forever be known as THE Covid Quarantine shows.

Comment

• take away the one year of the Sopranos that happened in '99 and it should still be (high) on the list anyway.

Comment

• I've seen two of those 20 shows, and only an episode or two of those two.

Blacklist and Person of Interest aren't in their top 100, so it's a crap list 😂

Comment

• I have seen one or two episodes of two of the 20 tv shows on jeremey's list.

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post
              take away the one year of the Sopranos that happened in '99 and it should still be (high) on the list anyway.
              1999 and 2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                1999 and 2000.
                there are other shows w/ 2000 dates cited on their list (as it should be)

Comment

• Meanwhile....in non pedantic things...

Sci-fi classic 'Dune,' now returning to the big screen, was inspired by Florence, Oregon

The sands of Arrakis are closer than you might think.

Arrakis, Dune, desert planet — the setting for the sci-fi epic coming to movie theaters this week is a planet of sand inhabited by water-starved warrior zealots and 1,000-foot long worms.

"Dune" is the latest movie adaptation of Frank Herbert's 1965 novel of the same name, and its story was first inspired by encroaching sand dunes around Florence.

Herbert's "Dune" is a tale of intergalactic feudalism, vendetta and political intrigue set in a far future where a mind-bending drug found only on Arrakis is the only currency that matters.

The book's masterpiece status has much to do with the themes it explores, from what makes one a human being to how religious forces control societies. But its foundational theme is that humans shape, and are shaped in return, by their physical environments.

"It's been my belief for a long time that a man inflicts himself on his environment, that is Western man," Herbert said in a 1969 interview about "Dune. "One of the purposes of this story is to delineate the consequences of inflicting yourself upon a planet, upon your environment."

https://amp.registerguard.com/amp/84...mpression=true

Comment

• One of the greats that's missing is the French version of "The Wire", called "Spiral" in English and "Engrenages" in French, which is a great word for Gears. Also "Forbryldsen" the Swedish version of "The Killing" which was done before the U.S. version. Also "A French Village" which is in my top 10.
                    Also missing is “Justified”, just as worthy as “Deadwood”
                    Last edited by jeremyp; 10-20-2021, 11:24 PM.

Comment

• When do yall have time to watch all this stuff? I have been "self-unemployed" for forty-five years and don't have time to read all my magazines and watch the current TV I want to watch.

Comment

• Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                        When do yall have time to watch all this stuff? I have been "self-unemployed" for forty-five years and don't have time to read all my magazines and watch the current TV I want to watch.
                        I do binge some, but I am indeed amazed when I talk to people who binge routinely. I can't sit in front of a TV all that time! And it drives me crazy if I binge and 'Fast Forward' has been disabled. GRRRRRR!

Comment

• Originally posted by jeremyp View Post
                          Another list.Top 100 TV shows. This Century

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/...e-21st-century
                          1st 20

1 The Wire (2002-2008)
                          2 Mad Men (2007-2015)
                          3 Breaking Bad (2008-2013)
                          4 Fleabag (2016-2019)
                          5 Game of Thrones (2011-2019)
                          6 I May Destroy You (2020)
                          7 The Leftovers (2014-2017)
                          8 The Americans (2013-2018)
                          9 The Office (UK) (2001-2003)
                          10 Succession (2018-)
                          11 BoJack Horseman (2014-2020)
                          12 Six Feet Under (2001-2005)
                          13 Twin Peaks: The Return (2017)
                          14 Atlanta (2016-)
                          15 Chernobyl (2019)
                          16 The Crown (2016-)
                          17 30 Rock (2006-2013)
                          18 Deadwood (2004-2006)
                          19 Lost (2004-2010)
                          20 The Thick of It (2005-2012)
                          Interesting list.
                          Yet I've seen not one minute of any of those 20...with no plans to do so!
                          However---
                          I have my own list of 21st Century shows!
                          And I first did mine a few years ago--with frequent updates!

Rules--
                          Show must have begun no earlier than January 1, 2000!
                          Thus, NYPD Blue, which began in 1993, but ended in 2005, is NOT eligible!!
                          Show can be just 1 season, or 15 or more!!
                          Show can be a Netflix/Hulu "series", and never be seen on a network or cable station!

Here's my list of the Top 30 TV Shows of the 21st Century---
                          (Listed here in inverse order, to build the tension!! LOL)

30. Lip Service (British show about group of lesbians!)
                          29. Satisfaction Similar to Lip Service, but more genteel, and sexier.)
                          28. Life's a Tripp (1 season looking into private lives of older Palin daughters )
                          27. Wentworth (Australian women's prison drama--much grittier than OITNB)
                          26. GLOW (comedy drama based on true story or 80's women's wrestling team)
                          25. Rita (Swedish comedy drama about sexy sassy teacher!)
                          24. Gypsy (HOT show about a woman caught in another woman's web!)
                          23. Tell Me You Love Me (1 season drama about 3 couples and their interactions with a shrink, played by Jane Alexander!)
                          22. Girls (The Lena Dunham show. Might have ranked higher, but tired of it after 1st 2 or 3 seasons!)
                          21. Love (Sexy show about people dealing with various relationship issues.)
                          20. Grace and Frankie (Jane Fonda, Lily Tomlin, Martin Sheen, Sam Waterston--what more do you need??)
                          19. Easy (Similar in some ways to Love, a sexy comedy.)
                          18. Madam Secretary (Great show of political intrigue--moves between WH, State Dept, and her home life!)
                          17. Grey's Anatomy (Solid show, but stopped watching after 13th season!)
                          16. The People vs OJ Simpson (Good rendition of the story--but he's still a double murderer, in my opinion!)
                          15. Pitch (Fictional story of 1st female in MLB! Set in Padres park! Why was it cancelled after 1st season??)
                          14. Sarah Palin's Alaska (Tour of Alaska with controversial Sarah! Love or hate her, it's worth a gander!)
                          13. Cedar Cove (3 season story of small town judge, who has affair with newspaper editor & writer!)
                          12. Virgin River (Looking forward to 4th season of this ongoing show which looks at lives of nurse/midwife and citizens of the tiny CA town--though filmed in Canada!)
                          11. Life Unexpected (Just 2 seasons, but good show about fostered teen girl finding her biological parents!)

NOTE: Sorry, but miscounted shows--forgot to cross off last show on list!--so all above shows should be 1 notch higher, with Lip Service eliminated!!)

10. Masters of Sex (Based on story of sex researchers Masters & Johson--their findings & their long affair! Lots of nudity!)
                          9. The Act (On Hulu, based on true story of mom who displays daughter as wheelchair bound invalid--who plots to murder the mother!)
                          8. The L Word (The 6 season version, not including new Generation Q--great peek into lives of group of LA area lesbians! But really just about relationships!!)
                          7. Switched at Birth. Girls discover they were switched at birth at age 16--impact on them & their families! Lots of ASL & real deaf actors abound! Lasted 5 seasons!)
                          6. Younger (7 season show on Hulu about 40 year old woman posing as 26 year old to get job in publishing in NYC!!)
                          5. The Fosters (5 season show about lesbian couple who have 5 kids (one biological from previous marriage to a man, 4 fostered, then adopted! Lots of topical issues covered!)
                          4. Californication (7 season show starring David Duchovny about raunchy doings of womanizer & his deep love of an ex & their child! Extremely controversial in too many ways to count!)
                          3. commander-In-Chief (1 season show about first woman POTUS.. Very well done serious look at what it WILL be like when Kamala succeeds to the Highest Office!! LOL)
                          2. When Calls the Heart Next year will be 8th season! Has ranked 1st, but lost a place when Lori Loughlin was fired!!)
                          1. Unbelievable (One season look at true story of serial rapist through eyes of 1st victim & two female Colorado detectives who solve the crimes!! Toni Collette is one of the detectives!)

Comment

• Perfect score 0 for 30 of aaronk's list.

Comment

Perfect score 0 for 30 of aaronk's list.
                              I saw a few episodes of Madam Secretary, largely because it led into something I was actually interested in, IIRC.

Comment

Perfect score 0 for 30 of aaronk's list.
                                You're hopeless Lonewolf. I watched most of 1 episode of 2 of aaronk's list; #17, #18.

Comment

Working...
                                X