Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the official binge-watching thread

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • O.K. 123.....Chacun a son goute.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
      Perfect score 0 for 30 of aaronk's list.
      Same here and only saw multiple episodes of 2 on the BBC list. And we watch TV almost every night!!

      Comment


      • I did see one of those on aaronk's list: GLOW. It was great parody back in the '80's when I watched it on Saturday afternoons, which made the new show more interesting.

        Comment


        • Well, tastes vary. I guess that is why we have 100s of channels...and sometimes I still can't find anything to watch.

          Comment


          • My wife and I mostly stream. Netflix, Amazon, Acorn, Brit Box, Hulu, MHZ, PBS, No problem with captions, grew up with them in U.K. when we watched foreign movies.

            Comment


            • Don't know why I'm still watching "American Rust" as it is quite depressing. Two episodes to go.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                Meanwhile....in non pedantic things...

                Sci-fi classic 'Dune,' now returning to the big screen, was inspired by Florence, Oregon


                The sands of Arrakis are closer than you might think.

                Arrakis, Dune, desert planet — the setting for the sci-fi epic coming to movie theaters this week is a planet of sand inhabited by water-starved warrior zealots and 1,000-foot long worms.

                "Dune" is the latest movie adaptation of Frank Herbert's 1965 novel of the same name....[/url]
                (spoiler alert to follow at end of post)

                One of the great reads of my high school days (and at least 2 dozen rereads since).


                Actually, Dune first appeared as a 3-part series in the great sf monthly, Analog, in '63. I was enchanted by it and horridly frustrated when it ended with a massive teaser.

                Much to my delight, it reappeared 2 years later with a 5-part Analog sequel (not to mention, over the decades since) almost 2 dozen sequels/prequels, the latter largely the province of Herbert's sun and collaborators) before being issued as a full-blown novel, which I've read closing in on 50 times, second only to LOTR.

                As to the new movie (watchable on HBOmax if you're not going to theaters these days), what a huge disappointment, even though it ends about where the first serial did, with vague promises of a carry-on if this is well received.

                For me, the new offering falls victim to the all-too-common modern failing of relying on CGI (which is masterfully handled) at the risk of ignoring plot and character development. I can't imagine a hardcore fan liking it all that much; have no feel as to the novitiate's take.

                I'd probably so far as to suggest that the disavowed David Lynch version with Kyle McLaughlin is better.





                Comment


                • Originally posted by gh View Post

                  (spoiler alert to follow at end of post)

                  One of the great reads of my high school days (and at least 2 dozen rereads since).


                  Actually, Dune first appeared as a 3-part series in the great sf monthly, Analog, in '63. I was enchanted by it and horridly frustrated when it ended with a massive teaser.

                  Much to my delight, it reappeared 2 years later with a 5-part Analog sequel (not to mention, over the decades since) almost 2 dozen sequels/prequels, the latter largely the province of Herbert's sun and collaborators) before being issued as a full-blown novel, which I've read closing in on 50 times, second only to LOTR.

                  As to the new movie (watchable on HBOmax if you're not going to theaters these days), what a huge disappointment, even though it ends about where the first serial did, with vague promises of a carry-on if this is well received.

                  For me, the new offering falls victim to the all-too-common modern failing of relying on CGI (which is masterfully handled) at the risk of ignoring plot and character development. I can't imagine a hardcore fan liking it all that much; have no feel as to the novitiate's take.

                  I'd probably so far as to suggest that the disavowed David Lynch version with Kyle McLaughlin is better.




                  I've heard excellent reviews from hard-core fans....but I'll have to watch ...

                  I don't think the 1984 one was as bad as everyone goes on about. It was confusing if you hadn't read the book. Which I too have read many times. It is a great audio book while driving.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by gh View Post
                    . . . a full-blown novel, which I've read closing in on 50 times, second only to LOTR.
                    Bad memory??

                    That's more times than I watched Pulp Fiction and A Hard Days Night combined, and those movies only take up two hours of life! My guess is that there are only a few dozen books I've read more than once, and only a dozen or so more than twice, none more than maybe four times. Dune was a two-timer . . . .

                    Comment


                    • I have a thousand(?) books here and I have never knowingly read a book more than once. Still more to read. Same with TV, always comes out the same.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by gm View Post

                        I saw a few episodes of Madam Secretary, largely because it led into something I was actually interested in, IIRC.
                        We just binged all six seasons. I enjoyed it.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                          I have a thousand(?) books here and I have never knowingly read a book more than once. Still more to read. Same with TV, always comes out the same.
                          I'm with you, sir! I only read mysteries and thrillers, though, so it does no good to reread them.

                          Comment


                          • what's the difference between reading a book (or watching a movie) multiple times and listening to your favorite piece of music over and over?

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by gh View Post
                              what's the difference between reading a book (or watching a movie) multiple times and listening to your favorite piece of music over and over?
                              Absolutely nothing....I can listen to anything by Mozart over and over and seems as fresh as the first time.

                              Same with books. On long driving trips and planes I tend to listen to audio books I've read before. I've probably listened to Day of The Jackal 10 times.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                                I've probably listened to Day of The Jackal 10 times.
                                Terrific movie which I've watched countless times.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X