Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We rewatched “The Queen’s Gambit”. It was even better the second time than the first. It really is superb.

Comment

• Just watched Part 1 of Peter Jackson's The Beatles: Get Back.

It is simultaneously like listening to fingernails screeching across a blackboard and the most fascinating documentary ever.

If you're not a Beatles fan, you'll be bored to tears.
      If you're a casual Beatles fan, it will be mildly interesting to see what all the fuss was about.

But . . . if you are of a certain age, you are a BIG Beatles fan, and these 6-hours (3 parts) will be the Holy Grail of Beatlemania - what set them apart from every other band.

Be warned - this is mostly just them in the studio, trying to hammer out the songs there were to be on the last album, and it's a tedious, onerous process. But a fascinating one.

Comment

• I can’t qualify as a rabid Beatles fan ( during Beatlemania, I was listening to Brubeck and Basie and Ellington), yet i was really fascinated by the documentary.
        I have a friend, by the way, who is convinced that the Beatles could not have written the songs attributed to them. His “evidence” to support his outlandish position is that they never attended the “Academy”!
        Last edited by Django; 11-26-2021, 03:39 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Django View Post
          I have a friend, by the way, who is convinced that the Beatles could not have written the songs attributed to them.
          Your friend is right; they did NOT write any music! They just played it and left others to transcribe it into 'music'.

Comment

I can’t qualify as a rabid Beatles fan ( during Beatlemania, I was listening to Brubeck and Basie and Ellington), yet i was really fascinated by the documentary.
            I have a friend, by the way, who is convinced that the Beatles could not have written the songs attributed to them. His “evidence” to support his outlandish position is that they never attended the “Academy”!
            Yeah...that makes a lot of sense....they were too busy with the Kennedy assassination...

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave View Post
              I went through several episodes of Narcos Mexico season three last night. It seems like less plot and more violence than previous seasons. I’m still enjoying it, but less so than prior years.
              Just finished it. Agree it's overly violent, but then Mexico is just that. Also found the Cartel folk boring and way too talkative. And El Chapo just doesn't seem like El Jefe to me.

Comment

• Just got through all 6 seasons of "Grantchester" on PBS. An interesting combo of British culture mixed in with very dark themes, a Vicar who spends 96% of his time solving crimes and 4% with his parishioners. No wonder the Anglican Church is in decline. Murder first, kettle second.

Comment

I can’t qualify as a rabid Beatles fan ( during Beatlemania, I was listening to Brubeck and Basie and Ellington), yet i was really fascinated by the documentary.
                  Apparently (I am too young to remember it myself) that was quite a common view amongst many highly educated Brits during the 60s. Some suggested that their privately educated manager Brian Epstein must have been the composer. As he died in 1967, I'm not sure whether they held to this view for the last 3 years of the band's existence? Maybe he had a backlog of songs and they had to split 3 years later when that was exhausted!

Comment

• Re Grantchester: I loved that after a brief "What's he doing here?" no one ever thinks twice about the local vicar being in on every police investigation and interrogation... and a sizable percentage of the local parishioners become murder victims and/or murderers :-)

Just watched True Story... interesting tho implausible story.
                    Swagger on Apple+ gets better with each episode. Timely story about too intensive youth club sports.

Comment

• We’ve been watching the Mandelorian. Given that I haven’t paid much attention to Star Wars since the early 80s, I’ve found it really tedious.

Comment

• My kids (8 and 10) cannot get enough of Tom & Jerry and Looney Toons. We have been watching lots of the channel Boomerang on this trip.

Comment

• Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post
                          My kids (8 and 10) cannot get enough of Tom & Jerry and Looney Toons. We have been watching lots of the channel Boomerang on this trip.
                          My grandson, age 5, sits and giggles at Tom and Jerry when he's with us.

Comment

• Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post
                            My kids (8 and 10) cannot get enough of Tom & Jerry and Looney Toons. We have been watching lots of the channel Boomerang on this trip.
                            Great stuff.

Comment

• Critics talking up “Power of the Dog” on Netflix Dec. 1 Cumberbatch touted for Oscar. Director Jane Campion as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by jeremyp View Post
                                Critics talking up “Power of the Dog” on Netflix Dec. 1 Cumberbatch touted for Oscar. Director Jane Campion as well.
                                Kiwi director. Must be good. 😂😂😂

Comment

Working...
                                X