Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tuariki View Post

Kiwi director. Must be good. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
    It's filmed in NZ as well, though it's supposed to be Montana.

Comment

• Originally posted by jeremyp View Post

It's filmed in NZ as well, though it's supposed to be Montana.
      It became available on Netflix in NZ today. I'll try and watch this evening.

Comment

It became available on Netflix in NZ today. I'll try and watch this evening.
        You guys are always ahead of the times. Be warned you will not like Cumberbatch's character.

just watched it. Slow, but builds to interesting and unexpected ending. Campion shoe in for Oscar nomination, as is Cumberbatch, but his role isn’t likely to win. Will Smith more likely.
        jeremyp
        Last edited by jeremyp; 12-02-2021, 02:44 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
          Just watched Part 1 of Peter Jackson's The Beatles: Get Back.

. . .

Be warned - this is mostly just them in the studio, trying to hammer out the songs there were to be on the last album, and it's a tedious, onerous process. But a fascinating one.
          A few comments about this film.
          • It's the best masterclass video ever (hyperbole alert: I haven't watched them all) about the collaborative creation process at the highest levels of art. It will be watched as long as humans care about the artistic process (more hyperbole but possibly true) or collaboration generally, like in a business environment.
          • Ditto for songwriting/composing (& hyperbole) - best masterclass video ever.
          • The 'fly on wall' aspect of watching the Beatles create at the very height of their shared development is fascinating. And they all look so young - who'd of thunk!
          • Based on the first two hours, Yoko got a bad rap as a band-breaker-upper (things could change in the next four hours) but whatever you do, don't let her sing . . .
          • The video and audio quality are outstanding - there were seemingly no technical corners cut or expenses spared. Even the closed captioning was the best I've seen in terms of accuracy and timing.
          • Note that movie is a 100% Beatles-authorized product so you're not seeing anything Paul, Ringo, Yoko & Olivia haven't signed off on.

Highly recommended - two bad hammys up!

bad hammy
          Last edited by bad hammy; 12-01-2021, 05:04 PM.

Comment

I read that the Korean series Squid Game is the planet's leading tv series on Netflix. My kids and grandkids are all hooked.

I watched for 30 minutes before turning it off. Did nothing for me.
            first 30 minutes is admittedly pretty deadly and I came close to pulling the plug myself; allow me to suggest, however, that thereafter it's well worth your time. Incredible look into human interaction under pressure.

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post

first 30 minutes is admittedly pretty deadly and I came close to pulling the plug myself; allow me to suggest, however, that thereafter it's well worth your time. Incredible look into human interaction under pressure.
              I'll give it a go over Xmas.
              Just finished binging on another Korean series.
              The King's Affection.

Comment

• i did 3 of the 6 episodes of Vigil last night. Cop show sourced from the BBC now on Peacock. If you love the Brit police genre I think you'll be well pleased at one set (really!) mainly in a submarine, although subtitles would be nice in places.

Comment

• Originally posted by bad hammy View Post
                  Based on the first two hours, Yoko got a bad rap as a band-breaker-upper (things could change in the next four hours) but whatever you do, don't let her sing . . .
                  It becomes abundantly clear that it was NOT Yoko (Linda Eastman was there a lot too) who 'broke up the band'. Yoko didn't say or do much at all except stay very close to John - but It was John who very much seemed he needed her there. Paul even said (in effect), if it's between us and Yoko, he'll pick Yoko and that's his prerogative.
                  George left first, they talked him into coming back, but once they did the rooftop concert, everyone just sort of went his own way.
                  Paul did say that if they had all had the latitude to do solo projects, the Beatles could have stayed intact. They all did that after the break-up, but it was too late then; they all (except Ringo) had burned bridges by then.

Imagine there's no break-up
                  It's easy if you try
                  No void before us
                  In front of us, music always nigh

Imagine all the people
                  Listening still today
                  . . .

You may say I'm a dreamer
                  But I'm not the only one
                  I wish some days they stayed
                  And the world still had their fun.
                  Atticus
                  Last edited by Atticus; 12-30-2021, 07:33 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                    It becomes abundantly clear that it was NOT Yoko (Linda Eastman was there a lot too) who 'broke up the band'.
                    Funniest line in the movie: Paul, Linda and a few others (not John or Yoko) sitting around talking shop and when Linda made a comment contrary to what one of the others just said, Paul replied "Shut up, Yoko."

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post
                      i did 3 of the 6 episodes of Vigil last night. Cop show sourced from the BBC now on Peacock. If you love the Brit police genre I think you'll be well pleased at one set (really!) mainly in a submarine, although subtitles would be nice in places.
                      Sassenach! They're called Captions dear boy. Use them all the time. I found it entertaining, one has to tolerate the ludicrous bits, and the endless red herrings, but Suranne Jones is always on top of her game. The Russians are still getting too much attention.

Comment

• Don't see anyone mentioning it yet...

14 Peaks on Netflix is an inspirational documentary - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QH5...hannel=Netflix

Comment

• I just finished CNN's Jerusalem (aired last summer) by watching one episode a day.

Jerusalem | CNN Creative Marketing

I went to Jamestown original site a few decades ago, and there were some people who were visiting this largely empty place (there was one original building standing there). A few miles away, many more people were at the replica of Jamestown created by the Commonwealth of Virginia. And I thought "if Israelis and Palestinians were like these American tourists, we could solve their problem easily. We can create a replica of the Old Temple in West Jerusalem, and all Jews can visit there instead of the Wall in the Old City." Of course, an agnostic like myself never understands the power of symbolism in religion.

Comment

• Power of the Dog is a terrific movie in which nothing much happens.

Comment

• Originally posted by jc203 View Post
                              Power of the Dog is a terrific movie in which nothing much happens.
                              It's all happening under the surface.

Comment

• jeremyp is exactly right. Power of the Dog is two hours of strong actors doing a good job of acting as if they are suppressing emotions. Terrific depictions of people not doing anything much.

Comment

Working...
                                X