Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gh View Post

Somebody forgot to tell that to Game Of Thrones!
    another fab show with an unpopular ending. Rule 2: If you kill off characters, add good ones.

Comment

• Originally posted by lexvid View Post
      Wish I would have discovered this thread a year or two ago! Great observations and recommendations (Peaky Blinders, Lupin, Bosch, Queen's Gambit, etc.).

Binge watched The Expanse. If you Love sci-fi then this is a must. Took me a month to get through season 1 (10 episodes) but only took me another 6 weeks to get through seasons 2-5 (46 episodes). Loved Dominique Tipper (Naomi Nagata), Thomas Jane (Miller), Wes Chatham (Amos) & Shohreh Aghdashloo (UN Secretary General Chrisjen). Too many others to mention.
      I just got to Expanse..... absolute must-watch for sci-fans! (I'm early in Season 3)

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post

I just got to Expanse..... absolute must-watch for sci-fans! (I'm early in Season 3)
        Yes agreed! Glad you are enjoying it.

Comment

• Originally posted by lexvid View Post

Yes agreed! Glad you are enjoying it.
          if you're a scifi fan I'm surprised your handle isn't lexxvid :-)

Comment

• For Sci Fi fans try the new version of: "The man who fell to Earth." (SHO) For Poli-sci fans try: "Gaslit." (STARZ) All about Watergate, if a tad sardonic. For whacky cult crime try: "Under the Banner of Heaven" (HULU). For spy stuff: "Ipcress Files" (AMC+), dated Len Deighton filmed as if it was the 50's. And if you can tolerate captions : "Tehran" an Israeli thriller on APPLE.

Comment

• Right now, we're invested in Netflix's The Lincoln Lawyer, a superior adaptation of the Michael Connelly novel than the 2011 Matthew McConaughey film.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                Right now, we're invested in Netflix's The Lincoln Lawyer, a superior adaptation of the Michael Connelly novel than the 2011 Matthew McConaughey film.
                Stopped it in second episode. The main character's flat affect just did us in.

Comment

• Just caught up with Better Call Saul: "shock face!"
                  Last edited by scottmitchell74; 05-31-2022, 06:57 PM.
                  You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

• Originally posted by jeremyp View Post
                    Stopped it in second episode. The main character's flat affect just did us in.
                    He certainly started slowly in that regard, but he does grow on you, and the later legal maneuverings in court were highly entertaining. The resolution of the gun shot residue on the accused game zillionaire was ingenious. I also didn't like the biker assistant dude, but he gets better too. The two ex-wives are head-scratchers though.

Comment

• Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
                      Just caught up with Better Call Saul: "shock face!"
                      Love Gilligan's use of little set pieces or short stories. Now we have to wait until July??? Also have just gone through "Breaking Bad" up to the Plane crash. I focus mainly on Jesse and Walt scenes.

Comment

• mrs. hammy & I have been really enjoying Gaslit, a mini-series on the Starz network. It's a Watergate story centered around Margaret & John Mitchell, and to a lesser extent John Dean. A lot of details that I was not aware of, even though I've been on top of Watergate since the 70s, partly because I never spent much time on Martha Mitchell.

As you would expect, Julia Roberts does a great Martha. Sean Penn is hardly recognizable doing an absolutely outstanding John Mitchell - the makeup folks get a huge tip of the hat for their work on Sean, but he tops them with his overall command of the little details, mannerisms and whatnot, that really sell the act. Lots of subordinate characters (Liddy, McCord & L. Patrick Gray in particular) are also excellent.

Eight one-hour episodes total, six of which are out, all eight available after June 12th. If you don't have Starz you can get a week for free (in the US anyways) so I'd suggest waiting until June 12th, get the free week and binge it.

Highly recommended for anyone who's ever had an interest in Watergate . . .

Comment

• Originally posted by bad hammy View Post
                          mrs. hammy & I have been really enjoying Gaslit, a mini-series on the Starz network. It's a Watergate story centered around Margaret & John Mitchell, and to a lesser extent John Dean. A lot of details that I was not aware of, even though I've been on top of Watergate since the 70s, partly because I never spent much time on Martha Mitchell.

As you would expect, Julia Roberts does a great Martha. Sean Penn is hardly recognizable doing an absolutely outstanding John Mitchell - the makeup folks get a huge tip of the hat for their work on Sean, but he tops them with his overall command of the little details, mannerisms and whatnot, that really sell the act. Lots of subordinate characters (Liddy, McCord & L. Patrick Gray in particular) are also excellent.

Eight one-hour episodes total, six of which are out, all eight available after June 12th. If you don't have Starz you can get a week for free (in the US anyways) so I'd suggest waiting until June 12th, get the free week and binge it.

Highly recommended for anyone who's ever had an interest in Watergate . . .
                          I thought the stuff they gave Julia to do made Martha way too level headed, and not nearly as feisty as I remember her. They made Sean look like Mitchell, why didn't they do same for Julia?

John Dean was made out to look like an over the top boy scout. To see the real Dean watch the CNN special on Watergate now on. They got Liddy dead on. Hard to believe this moron was a steady appearance on Fox news...wait a second, not hard to believe at all. Nice to see them focusing on the poor night guard who made the "Plumbers" public. Fame is fleeting. They barely covered Dean's testimony, which was riveting. They skipped quickly through the most important factor of all: Butterfield blowing thw whistle on the tapes. Without those tapes Dean's testimony could be seen as revenge for being fired.

But yes It's fascinating stuff! The CNN specials really show how much Nixon was driving the whole thing, and how much he was not being stopped by anyone in the W.H.

Comment

• Rewatched Game of Thrones

Among many thoughts and observances is that Cercei's best friends were a zombie and a creepy weirdo. One almost feels for her.

Was reminded about how much I loathe the gratuitous sex/nudity. There was absolutely no call for it. Soap-operas have proven for decades that you can get the point across that people are being intimate without all the details. Breaking Bad proves that you can be wildly, wildly popular with good writing and no gratuitous sex/nudity.

But my biggest beef with the gratuitous lowest-common-denominator nudity/sex is that JRRM's source material is so dense and amazing that they could have been spending those precious minutes doing something much better!

You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

• Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
                              Rewatched Game of Thrones

Among many thoughts and observances is that Cercei's best friends were a zombie and a creepy weirdo. One almost feels for her.

Was reminded about how much I loathe the gratuitous sex/nudity. There was absolutely no call for it. Soap-operas have proven for decades that you can get the point across that people are being intimate without all the details. Breaking Bad proves that you can be wildly, wildly popular with good writing and no gratuitous sex/nudity.

But my biggest beef with the gratuitous lowest-common-denominator nudity/sex is that JRRM's source material is so dense and amazing that they could have been spending those precious minutes doing something much better!
                              I said it before, I'll say it again. Gratuitous sex is good for Oxygenerains!

Comment

• My wife and I just finished Outlaws season 1 on Amazon Prime. We both enjoyed it. It is a BBC/Amazon production dark comedy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hxq...nel=PrimeVideo

Comment

Working...
                                X