Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
    Finished a 3rd binge-watch on Netflix a few days ago!
    It's a Danish show with English subtitles called "Rita".

Rita is a 45'ish school teacher (in Denmark, naturally!), very hip, very popular, very horny, very tough, and very sensitive!
    (She teaches both 4th and 9th grade classes!)

There's 3 years of 8 episodes per year, each about 50 minutes long.
    But for some reason, the years aren't consecutive.
    (2012, 2013, then skips to 2015!)

It's a FANTASTIC show, thoroughly entertaining!
    And it moves the various plots forward.
    It shows her both at work and at home---she has 3 grown children (she's a single mom), with the youngest still at home, and he's gay!

So that makes THREE shows I've binge watched this month!
    Wentworth
    Grace and Frankie
    Rita
    We finally agree on a show
    although for different reasons. It's quite a satire and often edgy.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
      my maternal grandfather was born in Cornwall c1880
      Scones and Devonshire cream anyone?

Comment

Not really the place to mention this but "Luther" returns on BBC on December 17th.

Comment

Luther's not from Cornwall? :-)

Comment

Originally posted by KDFINE View Post
            Not really the place to mention this but "Luther" returns on BBC on December 17th.
            I'm getting in line.

Comment

Slow binge-watching Master of None the Aziz Ansari Netflix show. It's the poorman's Louis CK show. It can be funny but a little too on the nose.

Comment

Originally posted by booond View Post
                Louis CK show.
                There's a show that merits discussion! I watch it, but it always makes me uncomfortable. The premise of almost every episode is that he acts like a jerk to someone, then feels profound regret and, in trying to atone, makes things worse, yet somehow ends up OK. The humor is subtle, cerebral, self-referential, satirical and contemporarily relevant.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                  There's a show that merits discussion! I watch it, but it always makes me uncomfortable. The premise of almost every episode is that he acts like a jerk to someone, then feels profound regret and, in trying to atone, makes things worse, yet somehow ends up OK. The humor is subtle, cerebral, self-referential, satirical and contemporarily relevant.
                  It's a little more subtle than his acting like a jerk. He's not Larry David.

Comment

I'm about midway through my 4th binge-watch----except this one is taking longer than the others!
                    It's "Californication", starring David Duchovney.
                    It's 7 seasons of 12 half-hour episodes per season!
                    And it is HILARIOUS!!

Think of Henry Miller's "Sexus" combined with Hunter Thompson's "Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas"----with tinges of "Sex and the City" and "Any Afternoon Soap Opera"-----and you have "Californication"!

It's super hip, super sexy, super simplistic, super Laugh Out Loud funny!
                    Tons of nudity & sex & the filthiest of cuss words, so is a HARD R, with some NC-17 scenes!
                    But the dialogue is so sharp & witty, so hip & cool, you pass over whatever moralistic darts you want to throw its way!

Yes, Duchovny basically plays himself---a sex-addicted, Crazy in Love, yet heart-rendingly pathetic animal of a man----and he does so PERFECTLY!!

The supporting characters----"Hank's" wife, "Karen", and his agent (& HIS wife!), his 12 year old (when the show begins!) daughter---who turns out to be my favorite character!!!
                    (Familiar with new rave sensation---Australian singer-songwriter Courtney Barnett?? "Becca" at times looks EXACTLY like her!!!)

Then there's all his many lovers----too numerous to count!
                    (At one point, he finds an autographed copy of a book he wrote on sale in a bookstore----it's autographed "To Kelly". His agent asks "Who's Kelly?" "Hank" can't remember!!)

I've made it through the first 3 seasons (36 episodes), and have watched the 1st episode of the 4th season.
                    I'm on Netflix, and Netflix has all 7 seasons---so I'll be spending the next few days watching the remaining 47 episodes!!
                    Heck, that's about one 24 hour day's worth!!

Comment

• I am 84 years old and have not had a "job" for 42 years..someday I hope to have time to binge watch.

Comment

• I'm watching the first season of Manhattan, a series about the science and politics at Alamogordo during the creation of the first nuclear bombs.
                        It's good stuff!

Comment

• Season 2 of Broadchurch on Netflix. I'm going in this weekend.

Comment

• If you're of a mood to be depressed and/or befuddled, allow me to suggest the 6-part Netflix Brit detective offering River, starring Stellan Skarsgård.

wow.

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post
                              If you're of a mood to be depressed and/or befuddled, allow me to suggest the 6-part Netflix Brit detective offering River, starring Stellan Skarsgård.

wow.
                              I'll get there soon enough.

Comment

• Transparent starts Friday.

Comment

Working...
                                X