Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dave
    replied
    We’ve been watching the Mandelorian. Given that I haven’t paid much attention to Star Wars since the early 80s, I’ve found it really tedious.

Leave a comment:

• jc203
    replied
    Re Grantchester: I loved that after a brief "What's he doing here?" no one ever thinks twice about the local vicar being in on every police investigation and interrogation... and a sizable percentage of the local parishioners become murder victims and/or murderers :-)

Just watched True Story... interesting tho implausible story.
    Swagger on Apple+ gets better with each episode. Timely story about too intensive youth club sports.

Leave a comment:

• Trickstat
    replied
    Originally posted by Django View Post
    I can’t qualify as a rabid Beatles fan ( during Beatlemania, I was listening to Brubeck and Basie and Ellington), yet i was really fascinated by the documentary.
    I have a friend, by the way, who is convinced that the Beatles could not have written the songs attributed to them. His “evidence” to support his outlandish position is that they never attended the “Academy”!
    Apparently (I am too young to remember it myself) that was quite a common view amongst many highly educated Brits during the 60s. Some suggested that their privately educated manager Brian Epstein must have been the composer. As he died in 1967, I'm not sure whether they held to this view for the last 3 years of the band's existence? Maybe he had a backlog of songs and they had to split 3 years later when that was exhausted!

Leave a comment:

• jeremyp
    replied
    Just got through all 6 seasons of "Grantchester" on PBS. An interesting combo of British culture mixed in with very dark themes, a Vicar who spends 96% of his time solving crimes and 4% with his parishioners. No wonder the Anglican Church is in decline. Murder first, kettle second.

Leave a comment:

• jeremyp
    replied
    Originally posted by Dave View Post
    I went through several episodes of Narcos Mexico season three last night. It seems like less plot and more violence than previous seasons. I’m still enjoying it, but less so than prior years.
    Just finished it. Agree it's overly violent, but then Mexico is just that. Also found the Cartel folk boring and way too talkative. And El Chapo just doesn't seem like El Jefe to me.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    I can’t qualify as a rabid Beatles fan ( during Beatlemania, I was listening to Brubeck and Basie and Ellington), yet i was really fascinated by the documentary.
    I have a friend, by the way, who is convinced that the Beatles could not have written the songs attributed to them. His “evidence” to support his outlandish position is that they never attended the “Academy”!
    Yeah...that makes a lot of sense....they were too busy with the Kennedy assassination...

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    I have a friend, by the way, who is convinced that the Beatles could not have written the songs attributed to them.
    Your friend is right; they did NOT write any music! They just played it and left others to transcribe it into 'music'.

Leave a comment:

• Django
    replied
    Last edited by Django; 11-26-2021, 04:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Just watched Part 1 of Peter Jackson's The Beatles: Get Back.

It is simultaneously like listening to fingernails screeching across a blackboard and the most fascinating documentary ever.

If you're not a Beatles fan, you'll be bored to tears.
    If you're a casual Beatles fan, it will be mildly interesting to see what all the fuss was about.

But . . . if you are of a certain age, you are a BIG Beatles fan, and these 6-hours (3 parts) will be the Holy Grail of Beatlemania - what set them apart from every other band.

Be warned - this is mostly just them in the studio, trying to hammer out the songs there were to be on the last album, and it's a tedious, onerous process. But a fascinating one.

Leave a comment:

• Dave
    replied
    We rewatched “The Queen’s Gambit”. It was even better the second time than the first. It really is superb.

Leave a comment:

• jeremyp
    replied
    Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
    It's a great series....
    Not as good as Morse. Hard to see any similarities between them.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    It's a great series....

Leave a comment:

• Django
    replied
    Not exactly “binge watching”, but I’ve been watching more episodes of “Endeavour”on PBS. For those who haven’t seen it, it’s a police detective series set in Oxford, and there is often stunning scenery.
    One actor, Anton Lesser, plays Chief Superintendent Reginald Bright and, for me, at least, resembles the great Mihaly Igloi— until he speaks with an English accent or lights up a cigarette!
    Last edited by Django; 11-12-2021, 06:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• aaronk
    replied
    Originally posted by gh View Post
    what's the difference between reading a book (or watching a movie) multiple times and listening to your favorite piece of music over and over?
    I'm a binge watcher (movies & TV shows) and binge listener (CD's & single songs).
    But NOT a binge reader!
    (Or should I say not a REPEAT reader!
    Why?

A song takes 3 to 5 minutes (with some exceptions).
    You can play a 5 minute song 12 times in one hour if you want!

A CD takes between 40 and 70 minutes.

Movies take from 90 to 150 minutes, with exceptions!

But (for me), a 350 page novel takes me 10 hours to read, based on size and density of print, amount of dialogue, and white space!

Recently, I saw a movie called "One Last Thing" (Wendell Pierce & Jurnee Smollett-Bell).
    GREAT movie, so I watched it 6 or 7 times in a few days.
    LOVED it every time!

But when I told my caregiver about it, she shook her head---in a friendly way!
    LOL

So I asked her what her favorite food is, and how often she ate it.
    She said fried chicken and 3 times a week!

So I asked her what's the difference between eating a FOOD you love 3 times a week, and watching a MOVIE (or klistening to a CD) you love 3 times in a week?

GOTCHA!!
    LOL

Leave a comment:

• jeremyp
    replied
    Nordic Noir and Netflix.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...Quicksand.html

Leave a comment:

Working...
X