X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jeremyp
    replied
    Originally posted by gh View Post

Somebody forgot to tell that to Game Of Thrones!
    another fab show with an unpopular ending. Rule 2: If you kill off characters, add good ones.

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy
    replied

I thought. it was pretty good, but my local TV critic, who was originally a fan wrote a long essay after the finale titled "Ozark Completely Lost Its Way In Final Season."
    Mick LaSalle, my favorite movie critic. I love his opening:

As a movie lover, I’m often flabbergasted at what TV shows can get away with. I could exhaust myself trying to get people to invest seven hours watching a towering classic like “War and Peace” (1966) — a thoroughly entertaining masterpiece that could change your life and stay with you forever. But people would think, “Seven hours? What are you, nuts?”
    https://datebook.sfchronicle.com/mov...-waste-of-time

Me from two years ago on this thread:

Originally posted by bad hammy View Post
    We're five episodes into season three and most of this I agree with. Somewhere on the boards I've talked about the fact that I love most of the actors and most of the Ozark story. But there are still a lot of irritatingly improbable decisions being made by key characters . . .
    One of Mick's complaints about this last Ozark season is similar to what mrs. hammy & I have thought from pretty much the beginning, but Mick has other objections, all of which are valid. That said, mrs. hammy and I enjoyed it.

Now we're two episodes into The Offer, a ten-hour miniseries about the making of The Godfather movie. So far they've had just two characters that many/most folks would recognize - Al Pacino & Francis Ford Coppola - and the actors they have for those two are spot-on. Brando's in the next episode. Well written & acted, and beautifully filmed. Very enjoyable so far.
    Last edited by bad hammy; 05-12-2022, 09:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Originally posted by jeremyp View Post

When you kill off so many interesting characters the tatters will show.
    Somebody forgot to tell that to Game Of Thrones!

Leave a comment:

• jeremyp
    replied

I thought. it was pretty good, but my local TV critic, who was originally a fan wrote a long essay after the finale titled "Ozark Completely Lost Its Way In Final Season."
    When you kill off so many interesting characters the tatters will show.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Ozark part 2 starts tomorrow. Spoiler Alert: best not to look at trailer.

Leave a comment:

• jeremyp
    replied
    The new Bosch is on Amazon. A new channel called Freeve. Has ads but only 30-60 seconds. Bosch is now a P.I. and his daughter is a cop.

Leave a comment:

• KDFINE
    replied
    Apple TVs "Slow Horses" starring Gary Oldham is really worth it. The first two episodes were released together. The subsequent four episodes were released a week apart, siow now you can binge it if you wish. It can be confusing at times.

Leave a comment:

• jeremyp
    replied
    The ending did not sit well with me. I had a much better one.

Leave a comment:

• steveu
    replied

i was originally. debating how much of 3 I should rewatch before starting on 4.. I finally decided that the correct answer was "d, all the above."

So I've started over on season 1: well worth it! I had forgotten how slam-bang great it was from the get-go.
    Good for you... Because we did NOT do this, we actually couldn't figure out last night who a certain character was when she returned here in S4, E11 from her role in early seasons. Took us several minutes before we were like, "ohhhh yeahhhh"

It has also been fun in Season 4 to watch another actor who I can't recall seeing much of since "The Waltons" way back in the 70s when I was a kid.

Watching the final 3 episodes tonight.

Leave a comment:

• jeremyp
    replied
    Ozark part 2 starts tomorrow. Spoiler Alert: best not to look at trailer.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by jc203 View Post
    ridiculous levels of violence with a nearly invulnerable superhero always vanquishing the bad guys.
    He and Raylen Givens like to shoot first with no apparent conscience at work. I did like that Reacher's own mother referred to him by his last name only.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    An interesting thing that Lee Child does that I think few others do is write some of the Reacher novels in first-person, some (most) in third-person, rather than sticking with a singlle point of view throughout the series.

Leave a comment:

• jc203
    replied
    Reacher turned out to be much better than I expected and waaay superior to the Tom Cruise movie casting.
    Both the books and streaming video are sort of guilty pleasures... fantastical plots, ridiculous levels of violence with a nearly invulnerable superhero always vanquishing the bad guys.
    But still fun, the current generation's Rambo.
    The most problematic element for me was that in book form Reacher's logic and battle plans are presented as internal dialogs but in video format those passages end up being spoken outloud.... that makes the video Reacher seem a bit too much the braggart wise-guy rather than the understated menace of the novels.

Leave a comment:

• scottmitchell74
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    He looks so huge on TV, I was surprised to find out the actor is only 6'2/205!
    Was 205.

I saw an interview. He says he's 6'3 and he put on 30 pounds to get to 235...at age 40...free of "help."

He is huge, and I bet before every scene there's a set of push ups or BP to get a "pump" to look better.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    He reminds me of Buzz Lightyear.
    He looks so huge on TV, I was surprised to find out the actor is only 6'2/205!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X