Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CVS to stop selling tobacco products

Bit of trivia to start things off: CVS stands for Consumer Value Stores, which is what the original stores were called before adding pharmacies.

Anyhow, any comments on this decision? I saw on Twitter that Trey Hardee said he would now do all his drug store shopping at CVS.

Was this is a publicity stunt? Is their margin on cigarettes not that high anyhow? Not as high as beer, which they are continuing to sell, by the way?

Re: CVS to stop selling tobacco products

Originally posted by BillVol
    Was this is a publicity stunt?
    Of course it is, but a good, effective one. Taxes on cigarettes are so high now, how do the demographic (yes, that's me being snooty) that buys them, afford them? Does the grocery list go

1. Smokes
    2. Beer
    3. whatever else I have money for, milk, bread, etc.

? (me, still being snooty)

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
      [ how do the demographic ..that buys them, afford them?
      That mystifies me too.. having never smoked and avoiding smoke/smokers whenever possible, I cannot understand the addiction that compels people to shell out their last $5 or $6 for a pack of cigarettes.

Comment

Cigarette taxes, liquor taxes, and the lottery are like the most regressive taxes there are. Essentially punishing the poor.

Comment

Originally posted by JumboElliott
          Cigarette taxes, liquor taxes, and the lottery are like the most regressive taxes there are. Essentially punishing the poor.
          I wouldn't say they are targeting the poor, as much as they are targeting the . . .

Comment

"Well, er, smoking's been taxed, drinking's been taxed but not... thingy."
            http://www.montypython.net/scripts/taxthing.php

On a high note, smoking rates are now at the lowest since teenage smoking rates have been tracked (it started somewhere in the mid-70s, I think) and that means adult smoking rates will plummet in coming years. Aside from anything else, CVS may have decided that selling cigarettes will not be nearly as profitable in the future as it is now.

Comment

Yes, I give them a good deal of credit for this decision. I also expect that, over time, it will be seen as a smart business move--which is fair enough.

I believe I saw stats something like the following: in the mid 1960s, 42% of American adults smoked vs. 18% now. That's a very impressive improvement.

Comment

Forget the US... most of the rest of the planet LOVES cigarettes. Every time I've been in Europe I have noticed this.

And as to China, they are seriously, seriously addicted. My %'s may be way off, but they are staggering from what I recall... something like 60 % + of all cigarettes smoked on the planet, are smoked in China.

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
                  Forget the US... most of the rest of the planet LOVES cigarettes. Every time I've been in Europe I have noticed this.

And as to China, they are seriously, seriously addicted. My %'s may be way off, but they are staggering from what I recall... something like 60 % + of all cigarettes smoked on the planet, are smoked in China.
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... per_capita

For me, the biggest surprise is how high Switzerland is here.

Comment

Originally posted by JumboElliott
                    Actually, they may improve the welfare of the poor more than most public policies (excluding the lottery, of course).

Comment

Hats off to CVS. The entire cigarette market, from the dangers of the product to the gauging taxes taken from the poorest of our neighbors belches an awful stench.

Edit: Nevertheless folks have a right to buy cigs with their own money.

Comment

Then there's the reaction from one of the Fox News brain surgeons:

http://progressivepopulist.org/2014/02/ ... tes-video/

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                          Then there's the reaction from one of the Fox News brain surgeons:
                          http://progressivepopulist.org/2014/02/ ... tes-video/
                          Originally posted by Fox Rocket Scientist
                          ‘People Have a Right to Buy Cigarettes!’
                          So stores do NOT have a right to sell what they wish??!!

Comment

Working...
                          X