Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Sound Track of Your Life

So we watched The Graduate and When Harry Met Sally in my Film Analysis class, and it occurs to me that we all have a sound track of our lives - songs that fit certain times of our lives, songs that speak for us, musically AND lyrically. If you could only have FIVE songs for your life story (so far!), what would they be and why? For me:

1964 - The Beatles came to the USA when I first entered my adolescence and expressed me in I Wanna Hold Your Hand - a simple expression of the dawn of consciousness of the opposite sex.

1968 - The Rolling Stones represented the edgier side of adolescence and the realization that that were dark forces at play in the human psyche . . . Sympathy For the Devil expressed this perfectly.

1969 - this is actually a 1967 'Summer of Love' song, but it became the theme song of my hippie days in college - Get Together by the Youngbloods.

The 1980s was my 'young family' days and for some reason 1984's Jump by Van Halen captured the joy and giddiness of that experience.

The 2000s (to today) is where I am now and Gnarls Barkley's Crazy captures all the great lunacy of life in general.

What about you?

Re: The Sound Track of Your Life

For anyone who was in the army "We've Got to Get Out of this Place."

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
      So we watched The Graduate and When Harry Met Sally in my Film Analysis class, and it occurs to me that we all have a sound track of our lives - songs that fit certain times of our lives, songs that speak for us, musically AND lyrically.
      That's only because there is so much music out there that EVERY possible topic got covered. So no matter which direction your life took there was always a song that fit. My all time favourite song doesn't fit my life but it still makes me wanna jump around: House of Pain - Jump Around, the ultimate party song, you cannot listen to this song without having to move. Just writing this makes me jump a little in my chair.

Comment

Originally posted by norunner
        Jump Around, the ultimate party song, you cannot listen to this song without having to move.
        Youra gonna hafta trust me on this, but, after a certain age, you can sit quite still while listening to it . . . 8-)

Comment

Originally posted by norunner
          Jump Around, the ultimate party song, you cannot listen to this song without having to move.
          Youra gonna hafta trust me on this, but, after a certain age, you can sit quite still while listening to it . . . 8-)
          At my funeral, i want them to play this song and i want hydraulics in my coffin so it jumps around. And i don't want anyone to know about the hydraulics so it scares the shit out of everybody. :twisted:

Comment

Apparently, you folks have given this a lot of thought...
            After several seconds of intense introspection, I can only conclude that I must have been issued a very finite music appreciation gene.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
              After several seconds of intense introspection, I can only conclude that I must have been issued a very finite music appreciation gene.
              F'real? You don't have a set of songs that nostalgically take you back to important periods of your life? Yes, you do!

Comment

F'real? You don't have a set of songs that nostalgically take you back to important periods of your life? Yes, you do!
                Yes, I do.. but it is finite in genre and period of time.

Comment

OK, so lay five on us and 'splain!

Comment

Hmmm?

From my little mean boy days up into my HS football/track days......Jerry Lee Lewis "Great Balls of Fire"

From my just left school hello US Navy days.....Looking Glass "Brandy"***

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsYnBI2nvHI

Discharged from the Navy, crazy man on the loose for the next 10 years.....The Doors "Roadhouse Blues".

Bored with Miss Tonight so I finally find Miss Forever, time to settle down, make that $$$$$.....Elvis "Love Me Tender"

Kids are grown, $$$$$$ no problem, time to relax and fade away......Frank Sinatra "I Did It My Way".

There I was sitting on a bar stool off WikIKI at a bar named The Red Noodle when the house band started playing "Brandy". I thought, what a cool song and talk about a perfect fit. A few weeks later I heard it for the first time on the radio. So I'm...well I'll be damn they recorded it..... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Comment

OK, so lay five on us and 'splain!
                      Ok, I'll try.
                      Certain songs and genre of songs do evoke memories..
                      I don't remember specific songs but the WWII big band songs do bring back mostly pleasant coming-of-age memories.
                      Laura's song from Dr Zvago is reminiscent of my marriage.
                      After that, I cannot relate any song to a specific event or era.

Comment

This is definitely an old person's thread... Odd which music becomes embedded in memories of certain eras.

Late 1950's: Searchin' by the Coasters and I Love You Porgy by Nina Simone

1964: The entire James Brown Live at the Apollo album and Fun, Fun, Fun by the Beachboys

1966: Hold On, I'm Coming by Sam & Dave (indelibly associated with my first experience at the old Fresno West Coast Relays)

1967: Light My Fire by the Doors - which I subsequently heard soooo many times that I literally get slightly ill now when it plays.
                        Also, I also vividly recall Up, Up and Away by the 5th Dimension being played on an audio system in the dorm lobby at Weber State as I walked out to compete in the NCAA DII nationals as a TV was showing Israeli jets dropping bombs on tanks in coverage of the Six-Day War. The juxtaposition was so strange!

1968: Sunshine of Your Love by Cream and Time Has Come Today by the Chambers Bros and Like a Rolling Stone by Dylan.

1969: The Weight by the Band and (ugh) In A Gadda Da Vida by whoever that was

1970: Maybe I'm Amazed by McCartney

After that both music and my life got so diffused and my tastes so diverse that specific tracks would be too numerous to mention :shock:

Comment

Also interesting that individuals are programmed so differently.
                          For example, Lonewolf, whom I admire as certainly the wisest and maybe the brightest of posters here, is hard pressed to think of specific music tracks and figures that others must have put a lot of thought into such stuff.
                          Conversely, dopes like me, Marlow and Dixon could effortlessly crank out whole novels on this topic.
                          Go figure.

Comment

Originally posted by jhc68
                            Agreed. I would have thought everyone could reel off a quick five and their significance in a heartbeat. You, Dixon and I could wax eloquently on the topic for some time!

Comment

Originally posted by jhc68
                              Agreed. I would have thought everyone could reel off a quick five and their significance in a heartbeat. You, Dixon and I could wax eloquently on the topic for some time!
                              I've thought of this before, my life as a movie with a soundtrack. Like the time I got drunk and drove my brand new Superbeattle (VW) with an automatic transmission off a bridge, thank God for that sun roof as I watched my 8 track tapes float down the river to the applause of the crowd. Obviously I had to take a bow :roll: How about some....."A Day In The Life" Beatles

Or the time she wakes me up with a..."oh $%#^ you gotta go it's my husband"....gotta be "Backdoor Man" Howlin'' Wolf. With my car parked in front :roll:

Or the time I ran back a punt 76 yards to beat Delano (Leamon King), how's bout...."Big Boss Man" Jimmy Reed.

Or when I first stepped off the bus (19 years old) as a new arrival to the San Diego Naval Training Base it's gotta be....I've Been Buked and I've Been Scorn...Big Joe Wiliams.

Never forget the time I felt a little tap on my shoulder as I sat on a bar stool in Armona at of all places The Armona Club drinking gin tonic, then to turn around to find a cute little blonde standing there....."would you like to dance?" Gotta be..."This Magic Moment" The Drifters.

Imagine roaming the streets of Hong Kong as a 19 year old kid who was in a central Cali HS little more than a year earlier. Gotta be...."Shattered" The Rolling Stones. Then to end up on top that hill (tramp took us up) overlooking the lights of Hong Kong and Kowloon with a tall (5=10) Chinese girl with a tattoo of a blue butterfly over her right (or was it ieft?) breast named Joyce (right :roll: ) must be...."Unchained Melody" by the Righteous Brothers. Yep, I was in love and she loved me too, she said so... hahaha!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQTndyhJx7Q

Comment

Working...
                              X