Colts
    Packers
    Clemson
    Seahawks
    FSU
    South Carolina
    Niners
    Auburn

...play with QB's with some wheels (if needed) are the days of the pocket passer coming to an end?

Now I'm not talking about a read option or designed runs QB, I'm talking about that guy who can extend a play, boogie for 15-30 if he sees an opening.

Re: The Mobile QB?

Good hypothesis, thoough I think it the success of those teams is due to much more than mobil quarterbacks.
    Five of those teams had excellent to world class defenses.
    Panthers
    Seahawks
    FSU
    South Carolina
    Niners

Ohio State and Auburn had amazing running backs to go with their running QB.

Only A&M lacked any other dimension. Perhaps it is true in their case......

Comment

The NFL has had that kind of guy forever. Just in my life-time (1974+) - here are some Super Bowl caliber (or close) guys who could extend plays with their legs off the top of my head:

Bradshaw, Stabauch, Montana, Elway, Cunningham, Tarkenton, Favre, Young, McNair, Kenny Anderson, Steve Young, Gannon, McNabb, Grogan and now these young guys like Wilson and Luck who can stand tall(ish) but who can run when needed.

Anyhow, it's always fun to talk about this stuff. This reminds me of two of my pet-peeves about QBs NOT in the Hall (another thread for another day).
      You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

sorry, but I can't resist. I think this is the best Mobile QB

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AJ_McCarron

:evil:

Comment

My first choice QB is the strong pro-style pocket passer, who CAN run when he has to, not the guy with the happy feet that tries to go whenever he feels like it. Andrew Luck and Kaepernick fit the bill. Hang in there in the pocket, till you HAVE to run.

Comment

Originally posted by houstonian
            Good hypothesis, thoough I think it the success of those teams is due to much more than mobil quarterbacks.
            Five of those teams had excellent to world class defenses.
            Panthers
            Seahawks
            FSU
            South Carolina
            Niners

Ohio State and Auburn had amazing running backs to go with their running QB.

Only A&M lacked any other dimension. Perhaps it is true in their case......
            Not implying a mobil QB is the end all to winning just saying it does put more stress on a defense and makes things easier for an offense,

Comment

Originally posted by gh
              sorry, but I can't resist. I think this is the best Mobile QB

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AJ_McCarron

:evil:
              I think I'd have to go with...

Hall of Famers Bart Starr and Joe Namath and should be HOFer Kenny Stabler.

Comment

Originally posted by scottmitchell74
                The NFL has had that kind of guy forever. Just in my life-time (1974+) - here are some Super Bowl caliber (or close) guys who could extend plays with their legs off the top of my head:

Bradshaw, Stabauch, Montana, Elway, Cunningham, Tarkenton, Favre, Young, McNair, Kenny Anderson, Steve Young, Gannon, McNabb, Grogan and now these young guys like Wilson and Luck who can stand tall(ish) but who can run when needed.

Anyhow, it's always fun to talk about this stuff. This reminds me of two of my pet-peeves about QBs NOT in the Hall (another thread for another day).
                I've never so many mobil QB's all there together at the NCAA and NFL level as we do today. And seeing more and more athletes playing the QB position in the high schools.

We saw two mobil QB's play in the NCAA title game, two play in the NFC title game and one in the SB for the second year in a row with two winning the Heisman the last two seasons. I'm not the only picking up on this, there is a lot of disussion about this on the talk shows/radio,

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                  My first choice QB is the strong pro-style pocket passer, who CAN run when he has to, not the guy with the happy feet that tries to go whenever he feels like it. Andrew Luck and Kaepernick fit the bill. Hang in there in the pocket, till you HAVE to run.
                  Don't think it's necessary to hang in the pocket at all, that brings both DE's down on you. Slide to a side cuts the rush in two. I do agree about taking off too soon, a little patience is needed, give your receivers time to shake a defender.

Comment

I have to agree with this. The key to the QB position will always , always be that he is the player that gets the ball to the other 5 skill players. Eliminate that role and the offense becomes dramatically more easy to predict and shut down. The game is not going to change because it is fundamentally a 6 skill player game. The QB that can throw accurately is the most deadly weapon on the field. To the extent that his mobility enhances that aspect of the position all the better, to the extent that his mobility limits his ability to get the ball to the other 5 skill players it will be a liability.

Comment

Kaepernick is too deficient in his passing IMO, but this description fits Aaron Rogers perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by user4
                        I have to agree with this. The key to the QB position will always , always be that he is the player that gets the ball to the other 5 skill players. Eliminate that role and the offense becomes dramatically more easy to predict and shut down. The game is not going to change because it is fundamentally a 6 skill player game. The QB that can throw accurately is the most deadly weapon on the field. To the extent that his mobility enhances that aspect of the position all the better, to the extent that his mobility limits his ability to get the ball to the other 5 skill players it will be a liability.
                        I do think the game is changing dramatically because of the way the QB position is being played now. Keep in mind I'm not talking about the read option/designed running plays, that won't work at the NFL level for long. I'm talking about making the QB more of a "sneaky" weapon, which tons of HS's, colleges are doing. And we've never seen so many NFL QB's who can motor all there together like we are right now. There has never been a faster NFL QB 4x1 ...Kaepernick...Wilson....RGIII...Newton.... :roll: :roll: :roll: than right now.

I played against QB's who could run, it's a whole other deal than...."don't worry about him he can't go anywhere"...like we see with Peyton, Brady, Brees. Plus being mobil gives receivers more time to get open, then there's always that threat of a 20 yard run.

Last season the first QB taken in the draft was E.J.Manuel he's a dual threat QB, the second was Geno Smith, he's a dual threat QB, let's see how it goes this season. It all starts at the HS level, if ya watch the HS game it's all about that dual (most anyway) purpose QB. which tells us where things are heading.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBF44R_wSLM

Conway himself was a HS QB and a Cali state 100m champ, he'd have to be one of the fastest athletes to ever line up behind center. A 10.2ish guy at USC.

Comment

Being mobile ... was Joe Montana's huge/big beef with Steve Young. Some say it caused the never-ending riff between them

Comment

Originally posted by no one
                            Being mobile ... was Joe Montana's huge/big beef with Steve Young. Some say it caused the never-ending riff between them
                            I can see that.

When you have a guy back there who can run for 20-30 (last resort) they do have to be dealth with differently than someone who simply isn't that kind of athlete like a Dan Marino. So it does put more stress on a defense.

Comment

In addition to being able to throw on the run. Wilson's baseball ability gives him the ability to throw from almost any angle. He made one throw in the Super Bowl early enough (I think it was either 5-0 or 8-0 at the time) where if he doesn't complete a third down pass it's a three and out and Denver's got the ball in good field position. He scrambled to his left and found Baldwin(I think) right along the sidelines just as it appeared he'd come up short. Same angle a SS throws from making a tough play up the middle.

Comment

Working...
                              X