Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Mobile QB?

Originally posted by Dutra5
    In addition to being able to throw on the run. Wilson's baseball ability gives him the ability to throw from almost any angle. He made one throw in the Super Bowl early enough (I think it was either 5-0 or 8-0 at the time) where if he doesn't complete a third down pass it's a three and out and Denver's got the ball in good field position. He scrambled to his left and found Baldwin(I think) right along the sidelines just as it appeared he'd come up short. Same angle a SS throws from making a tough play up the middle.
    I remember that play and right there is what everyone is seeing with these athlectic QB's. The big guys can't be running around out there chasing QB's, defenders can't stay with receivers for very long, it just makes great football sense to have a guy out there who adds another dimension to the offense. Why have a guy back there that is limited?

Comment

Originally posted by Dixon

I remember that play and right there is what everyone is seeing with these athlectic QB's. The big guys can't be running around out there chasing QB's, defenders can't stay with receivers for very long, it just makes great football sense to have a guy out there who adds another dimension to the offense. Why have a guy back there that is limited?

I played against QB's who could run, it's a whole other deal than...."don't worry about him he can't go anywhere"...like we see with Peyton, Brady, Brees. Plus being mobil gives receivers more time to get open, then there's always that threat of a 20 yard run.
      1) There have been plenty of guys in the past that were mobile QBs but the thinking among the coaches was that it was not worth the effort to build an NFL offense around such a player. The QB is the brain of the offense. The better strategy was to build around a guy that had a very strong and accurate arm and that had the size to see the field and handle the dangers around them in the changing scrum. It was that mindset that led to a Drew Bledsoe being a franchise QB and countless mobile QBs like Doug Flutie and Charlie Ward being sent elsewhere.

2) I think you are assuming that you can have your cake and eat it too. That you can have a mobile QB that throws like a great pocket passer, for instance a Marino. It is not clear that you can have that. Running the ball is dangerous. Taking hits limits the ability to get up and on the next play make the right read/decision and throw an accurate pass . To the extent that the QB uses his mobility as a last resort and only in the safest of scenarios it is a net positive.

3) To the extent that a QB can use his mobility to get the ball evenly to the other skill players then it will be a success. To the extent that it leads to more injuries or dings and dents that take the edge off of his throwing accuracy it will be a failure. The passing QB will be the norm if he can have a wild card threat to run for a free 20 and not take a hit that would be the best of both worlds.

4) I would not rate Brees in the category of the immobile pocket passer (PManning/Brady). Brees is more of a mobile QB.

Comment

Originally posted by user4
        Originally posted by Dixon

I played against QB's who could run, it's a whole other deal than...."don't worry about him he can't go anywhere"...like we see with Peyton, Brady, Brees. Plus being mobil gives receivers more time to get open, then there's always that threat of a 20 yard run.
        1) There have been plenty of guys in the past that were mobile QBs but the thinking among the coaches was that it was not worth the effort to build an NFL offense around such a player. The QB is the brain of the offense. The better strategy was to build around a guy that had a very strong and accurate arm and that had the size to see the field and handle the dangers around them in the changing scrum. It was that mindset that led to a Drew Bledsoe being a franchise QB and countless mobile QBs like Doug Flutie and Charlie Ward being sent elsewhere.

2) I think you are assuming that you can have your cake and eat it too. That you can have a mobile QB that throws like a great pocket passer, for instance a Marino. It is not clear that you can have that. Running the ball is dangerous. Taking hits limits the ability to get up and on the next play make the right read/decision and throw an accurate pass . To the extent that the QB uses his mobility as a last resort and only in the safest of scenarios it is a net positive.

3) To the extent that a QB can use his mobility to get the ball evenly to the other skill players then it will be a success. To the extent that it leads to more injuries or dings and dents that take the edge off of his throwing accuracy it will be a failure. The passing QB will be the norm if he can have a wild card threat to run for a free 20 and not take a hit that would be the best of both worlds.

4) I would not rate Brees in the category of the immobile pocket passer (PManning/Brady). Brees is more of a mobile QB.
        I'm with you 100% as far as the danger goes and like I mentioned I'm not a fan of the read option or designed runs. These guys aren't built like running backs. The thing is that is where the position is heading and that can't be denied, we see it at the high level which says it all right there. If we look at the NCAA, running QB's all over the place. Obviously the NFL is the next stop.

Of the final 4 in the NFL, there were Kaepernick and Wilson. The NCAA title game saw two mobil QB's. The top HS QB recruit (according to ESPN) a mobil QB.

Comment

Working...
        X