Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.I.P. Ralph Kiner

"Ralph Kiner hit the most home runs in MLB history by a player over his first five seasons and led the National League in homers in each of his first seven seasons (all with the Pirates)."

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_ ... ied-age-91

Re: R.I.P. Ralph Kiner

37 HRs per year for a 10 yr career. give him another 5 yrs and he's at 500+ lifetime ... not bad - pretty good company

Comment

"....and on this Father's Day wishing all you fathers....HAPPY BIRTHDAY!"

Ralph was great! :lol: :lol:

Comment

Not too many stars from my high school; he was one of them.

Comment

Alhambra HS (Calif.)

First National Leaguer to hit 100 home runs over a two-year span.

Comment

It sounds like Kiner was the ultimate ladies man, having dated Elizabeth Taylor, Janet Leigh and Ava Gardener. Now that's a a triple crown. 8-) There were also rumors linking him with Marilyn Monroe and Jane Russell. He says that Bing Crosby, one of the owners of the Pirates, was his link to the Hollywood scene.

Comment

Richie Ashburn met Jamie Lee Curtis once and they were talking about her interest in baseball, at which point she mentioned her mother (Janet Leigh) once dating Kiner.

Ashburn is reputed to have said, "You know, I had a thing for your mother, but I was just a singles hitter."

Comment

"Home run hitters drive Cadillacs, and singles hitters drive Fords."- Ralph Kiner

Even though he never played for them, he was one of the original Mets, and that's why I was very sad when I found out.

Comment

Originally posted by JumboElliott
                  "Home run hitters drive Cadillacs, and singles hitters drive Fords."- Ralph Kiner
                  It was a teammate, pitcher Fritz Ostermueller, who said that after Kiner signed his 1948 contract, which included a big raise.

Comment

Working...
                  X