Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time Machine Get-Rich Item

So this afternoon (under balmy Florida skies) I'm out on my 3-mile Death-Trudge . . . I mean, Fun-Run, and I find two quarters and a nickel, 55 cents. The first thing that pops in my mind (not kidding) is - 'oooh, 4 comic books and 3 candy bars!' (why I think I'm back in 1960 as a 9-near-old, I have no idea). Then I got to thinking ( :shock: ), if you could go back in time to 1960 (+ a few years), what could you get that would be cheap and easy to acquire - that would be worth TONS today (e.g., a first edition comic book)? I'm not talking about stocks to buy or the ilk, something easily acquired. There must be tons of stuff, but my brain got tangled up in the comic book, and I can't think of other things.

Re: Time Machine Get-Rich Item

I had the very first 1961 Fantastic Four comic book, it's now worth over 2 grand. Sold all my comic books (at least a 1000) at a yard sale in my early 20's, I was too old for that silliness......EL DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yep, many times thinking how stupid that was.

Joe Namath's rookie card the only really valued 60's football card, I'm thinking a couple grand there also if in mint condition. I never owned one, and it is in that year where they made a elongated card, that doesn't fit into any sleeve. Dumb idea.

Obviousy baseball and basketball rookie cards,

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
      So this afternoon (under balmy Florida skies) I'm out on my 3-mile Death-Trudge . . . I mean, Fun-Run, and I find two quarters and a nickel, 55 cents. .
      I have a long time track official friend in SoCal, ex-athlete, dedicated daily jogger/runner who professed to have found literally hundreds of dollars in change on his daily runs.
      I, on the other hand, with a similiar running maintenance history do not recall ever finding any money, not a single cent, while running..
      I dunno, maybe you have to run with your eyes on the ground.. or maybe motorists in California are broadcasting change out of car windows...

Comment

was big card collector in 50s - 60s - Had Rookie Mickey Mantle, Willie Mays, Sandy Koufax, Bob Gibson and others. As I recall they weren't all that hard to acquire. We traded all the time. Had (shoe) boxes of em. A lot of kids used cards to clothes pin on their bike tires - made em sound cool. I think a mint Mickey Mantle rookie is worth a lot of money - but I wanted to be cool.

Comment

Am the only person here who has never bought a comic book or owned a card of any genre?
          I had town cousins who had comic books but I was aghast at the astronomical price of 5 or 10 cents and never bought any.
          To put things in perspecive, in the 30s, grown men worked 14 hour days in the fields for a dollar a day, an experience which undoubtably accounts for my life long parsimony.

Comment

I found five dollars in the mid-60s, and as much as $20 at a time, plus a wallet (got $20 for returning it), from the 70s, as well as a quality crescent wrench [early on an 11+ mile run, after about half a mile I stashed it in some ivy; it was very heavy by the time I carried that 1.5 miles back, but it was a pretty brisk run]. I have found less money since moving out of southern California. But the current value of the findings probably exceeds $200, and was found when the money meant much more].

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
              Am the only person here who has never bought a comic book or owned a card of any genre?
              I've never owned them either.

Comment

Out running about a month ago, I picked up a 1941 penny in the street. "Wheat" pennies ( pre-1959) are fairly hard to come across, particularly when running down the street !

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist
                  I read a lot of them in the drug store, but could not afford to buy them; it was about a month's allowance during the time when I was interested.

Comment

I would LOVE to have a few old " Scrooge McDuck" comics... loved the way he swam around in his money in the huge rectangular building !

Comment

Toys - Old model railroad stuff, stuff like that. Vintage toys always do well decades later when now aging and nostalgic (mostly) men have disposable income.
                      You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
                        Originally posted by jazzcyclist
                        I read a lot of them in the drug store, but could not afford to buy them; it was about a month's allowance during the time when I was interested.
                        I don't recall ever buying comic books--I just didn't find them that interesting, I did, however, own a good number of baseball cards. Gave them away at some point to a younger friend. I was off to college and had pretty much outgrown them (although I had not outgrown baseball at that point.)

Comment

So far we've got trading cards and toys . . . there must be other things worth a lot today, not just kiddie-related, if only someone had been prescient enough to hoard them! Some coins or stamps, I guess.

Comment

marlow mentions coins.. I've been a collector ever since I was a little kid.

What I wish I had done, starting in 1965, pocket every silver dime and quarter I came across, while they were still reasonably plentiful in change. Now they are as scarce as hen's teeth, but I still look at every coin I get in change, every day. I haven't gotten one now in about 2 years. Not that you get rich with them, they are just fun to find.. similar to wheat pennies. I see one of those about every 2 months or so.

Comment

I had town cousins who had comic books but I was aghast at the astronomical price of 5 or 10 cents and never bought any.
                              lone - we always had 'jobs' - paper route, cashing in glass bottles, distributing flyers, doing odds and ends/chores for neighbors/mowing lawns, and working on a chicken farm (that was fun!). What we didn't do was save money very well. But we normally had 'some' $. As has been mentioned once you have a decent cache - the trading happened. I looked up what a Mickey Mantle Rookie cards is worth today (I had one in the 60s - but got it for ???) Today worth 282,000 +/- - or so it said on one site. A shrewd investor I was. Some of the other cards I had are worth a ton as well - made my bike sound really 'boss' though. I can hear em now. Cha ching cha ching

Comment

Working...
                              X