Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Time Machine Get-Rich Item

Occasionally, I take a large comforter/duvet thing to a local "laundramat". The machines take only quarters and there is a wall mounted bill changer. The woman who runs the place says she keeps her ears tuned for silver quarters which have a distinctive ching and still gets several nearly every day. I think she said the silver content was about $2.00 but the collecter value is higher.
    I throw my pocket change (minus pennies) in a box on my dresser every night (after checking for silver quarters) and cash them annually before Christmas.. usually amounts to about $300... I only found three silvers last year.

Comment

Originally posted by no one
      Originally posted by lonewolf
      I had town cousins who had comic books but I was aghast at the astronomical price of 5 or 10 cents and never bought any.
      lone - we always had 'jobs' -
      Farm kids had jobs too, we just did not get paid in cash....
      I remember being envious of one of my older town cousins, Leo, who showed up on the farm
      in summer 1941 driving a 1928 Model A rumble seat roadster he bought for $25. His father was wounded in WWI and died young after returning to civilian life. Leo, left high school and enlisted on Dec 8th, 1941, did the South Pacific tour, returned unscathed, went into used car business.. lost track of him long ago..
      I was one of the youngest of 60 cousins, lost track of many/most, few survivors...

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
        I throw my pocket change (minus pennies) in a box on my dresser every night (after checking for silver quarters) and cash them annually before Christmas.. usually amounts to about $300... I only found three silvers last year.

I do the same thing, including the pennies, but you must make more cash purchases than I do, as I am right at $ 200 every year just before my Christmas cash in. But it is great "easy" and "free" money !

And speaking of pennies, ... you do know that Canada got rid of pennies last year ? I was just there in September and they are completely, repeat completely, gone.

And look for silver dimes too. They slip through a bit easier than the silver quarters.

Comment

didn't mean to imply farm kids didn't - just that we did - not all kids (probably most) we knew bothered with seeking for or getting one. 'WE', my older brothers, had two old ('29 and '30, I think) Models A's. Ongoing rebuilding projects. But I inherited one and drove it to frosh yr of college - 16 miles one way .. Same deal re: rumble seat. Would get up to ~ 60mph, maybe a little less. It was an adventure driving it. I don't remember it ever breaking down.

Comment

As a kid I bought the 1st edition of MAD Magazine at the Thrifty Drug Store in downtown Santa Ana, CA. I kept it a long time and read it over and over and finally traded it at the local comic store (you could trade 10 old comics for one new one) for some other comic that I can't recall but probably should have kept as well.

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
              And speaking of pennies, ... you do know that Canada got rid of pennies last year ? I was just there in September and they are completely, repeat completely, gone.
              I think this is a no-brainer move, but it still took me aback when I visited last May. I paid for something in cash (guessing the numbers here). It came to $4.47. I paid with a $5. They gave me 50 cents change without a blink. The extra 3 cents vanished into the aether.

But, I admire this give and take. Sometimes you end up ahead, sometimes you "lose." But who's going to squabble over a few cents.

Comment

Working...
              X