• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gh
    Administrator
    • Oct 2005
    • west of Westeros

it was 50 years ago today...

…. Ed Sullivan had the Beatles on his show to play...
  • jeremyp
    • Oct 2005
    • Florida

Re: it was 50 years ago today...

I think I've told this story before (but who remembers?), I was in Indonesia, and listened to the only pop music from Radio Malaysia, a jailable offense, and kept hearing these songs by The Beetles(?), and thinking they were lame attempts at copying American music. Then I got a Time Magazine, 6 months late, with the Fab Four on the cover. I ended up a year later listening to them in a Chinese Restaurant, after closing, with the owner and staff. The Beatles were still banned so it was like being in a speakeasy. Delicious.

Comment

• gh
      Administrator
      • Oct 2005
      • west of Westeros

I would guess that for those of an age you remember where you were (and what time of night it was on what channel) as vividly as you remember the JFK moment.

Comment

• Marlow
        • Jan 2008
        • Back on my 3-month hiatus!

Special Grammy show on them tonight.

Originally posted by gh
        I would guess that for those of an age you remember where you were (and what time of night it was on what channel) as vividly as you remember the JFK moment.
        Glued to my TV set as a newly minted teenager. They broke up when I was turning 20. How apropos. Lennon killed on my 30th birthday - again, somehow 'appropriate' (not the right word, but you get the gist).

Comment

• ed gee
          • Oct 2005

And the next day, the US house passed the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

Comment

• Friar
            • Oct 2005
            • Sittin' on the dock of the Bay.

While everyone remembers the Sullivan date it's a bit more difficult to recall the first time you heard them period. My best guess would be in a school yard in Nov'63 (horrible month) huddled around group who had a transistor radio playing for them. Girls were excited: they were not excited about the Beach Boys.

I believe Sullivan's fav' band the Dave Clark Five may have preceded the Beatles by 4-5 months being the first British Invasion Band on National TV (US).

Comment

• gh
              Administrator
              • Oct 2005
              • west of Westeros

DC 5 was 2 weeks after the Beatles.

That was memorable too, as they sang Glad All Over in front of a huge Union Jack.

Comment

• cullman
                • Oct 2005
                • ...in training...for something...

...Artful Dodger and future Monkee, Davy Jones also appeared on the same show.

Comment

• lonewolf
                  • Oct 2005
                  • Indian Territory

I was a habitual Ed Sullivan viewer but I do not remember if I saw the Beatle US debut live or saw it replayed so many times I think I did.
                  I do remember the two knob, 13" B/W Philco TV set with rabbit ears we watched it on...bought at a pawn shop for $20. As a testament to the quality of US electronics, my oldest daughter painted that TV orange and black and too it to college a few years later. She passed it on to my son who followed her to OKST by three years. It is still in his attic. We haul it out from time to time and it still works, albeit a bit snowy by modern standards.
                  I also remember that as a crew-cut Army reservist, I was a bit put off by their shaggy hair.

Comment

• Dixon
                    • Jun 2013

The next day at school all the girls...."isn't Paul cute?"

I have a cassette tape "Birth of the Beatles" it's some performances they did in British pubs a few years before they became the actual Beatles.

How about these covers?

Ray Charles...What'd I Say
                    Wilbert Harrison...Kansas City
                    Gene Vincent...Be-Bop-Alula
                    A whole bunch of Chuck Berry

Pretty obvious what their influenses were.

When they finally did arrive in the USA, John Lennon was asked just moments after stepping off the plane.

reporter...so now that you;re here in America what is the first thing you want to do?
                    John (didn't hesitate)...meet Muddy Waters.

I will say this about The Beatles (own all their stuff) I didn't realize just how great they were at the time. Listening to them now, it really sinks in.

Comment

• BillVol
                      • Oct 2005
                      • Chattanooga

The special on CBS tonight is great, and I've never really been a huge fan of the Beatles. Stevie Wonder was the best -- not surprising. Katy Perry, John Legend and Brad Paisley should have stayed home. But everybody else was great.

Comment

• Walt Murphy
                        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by BillVol
                        The special on CBS tonight is great, and I've never really been a huge fan of the Beatles. Stevie Wonder was the best -- not surprising. Katy Perry, John Legend and Brad Paisley should have stayed home. But everybody else was great.
                        And it's still going on--Ringo and Paull doing separate sets and picking the right songs to get the crowd jumpin'

Some links

First U.S. Exposure(Something I didn't know or fogot):
                        On the 50th anniversary of The Beatles landmark "Ed Sullivan Show" performance, Donovan, Peter Asher, Beatles scholar Martin Lewis and their secretary, Freda...

29-minute video--all 3 Ed Sullivan appearances:
                        9 February 1964 was the date of The Beatles' record-breaking first live appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show, at Studio 50 in New York City. Seventy-three million people were reported to have watched the first show. It is still supposed to be one of the largest viewing audiences ever in the States. It was very...

Fifty years later, audience members who were present at the birth of Beatlemania remember the electric atmosphere and the screaming.

The Beatles appeared on “The Ed Sullivan Show” on February 9, 1964, 50 years ago next month. Here are five things you need to know to understand Beatlemania

Comment

• 26mi235
                          • Oct 2005
                          • Madison, WI

I was not a big fan at the beginning, but my (now) sister-in-law who was 20 months older said a while back that it took about 15 seconds the first time she heard the Beatles to be absolutely won over; I do not think it was based on hype or anything she had heard, she just heard the song at that she just went head-over-heals for them. [she was probably a freshman and I was in 8th grade].

Comment

• kuha
                            • Oct 2005
                            • 3rd row, on the finish line

Originally posted by BillVol
                            The special on CBS tonight is great, and I've never really been a huge fan of the Beatles.
                            I saw most of it, and agree completely. I saw (on TV) the first Sullivan appearance and didn't fully get it--and over the years have been a very marginal Beatles fan, at best. However, in hindsight, their fame is absolutely and completely deserved. Whatever hype there may have been has blown away, we are left simply with a band of unparalleled talent and influence.

Comment

• Marlow
                              • Jan 2008
                              • Back on my 3-month hiatus!

Originally posted by kuha
                              we are left simply with a band of unparalleled talent and influence.
                              and yet, watching it last night, the scenes of girls screaming and fainting, what was that? Is there some psycho-sexual subliminal rhythm or message in the music??!! :?: :?: :?:

Comment

Working...
                              X