Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bruce Dern

I just read a great story called Racing With Bruce Dern: A Memoir from Bright Lights Film Journal. He's up for Best Actor in Nebraska.

Here's a good quote from the essay. Some of us might relate...
    I took him at face value, however, and judged him to be authentic: a rebel whose outsider credentials were in good order. Track was therefore the perfect sport for him, especially distance running, which has a rich vein of natural angst that makes it ideal for brooding nonconformists and troubled spirits. Those of us who ran the most punishing distances saw ourselves as beyond the pale, a periphery from which we looked back wistfully but condescendingly on normal lives. Born to suffer, we suffered from the pain of training, and from neglect: no one save the odd guilty parent or dragooned classmate ever came to watch us.
    See http://brightlightsfilm.com/blog/rac...9#.UvxKP5WYapo

Re: Bruce Dern

Nice column on Dern written by a track savvy Santa Barbara journalist during the recent film festival here.
    http://www.independent.com/news/2014...goes-distance/

Comment

Hard to believe Dern was born with a pure silver spoon in his mouth and had Eleanor Roosevelt as a God-mother. Maybe his character was molded by fighting that. I don't think he'll win the Oscar though. McConaughey has a lock on that.

Comment

This is it! Gotta pull for THE MAN tonight at the Oscar Awards!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jeremyp
          Hard to believe Dern was born with a pure silver spoon in his mouth and had Eleanor Roosevelt as a God-mother. Maybe his character was molded by fighting that. I don't think he'll win the Oscar though. McConaughey has a lock on that.
          Good call!
          You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Working...
          X