Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 50 Years Ago Today: 2/25/64

Originally posted by jazzcyclist
    Like many others here, I remember exactly where I was while listening to the fight.

Comment

No one has written so far regarding Ken Norton. He gave (an older Ali) as much trouble as he could handle. I was amongst the suckers in 1965; I paid $25 (as a new grad student) to see the Ali-Liston fiasco on closed circuit TV at Maple Leaf Gardens. We had just settled into our seats, and the fight was over. All around me, people were laughing, saying boy were we suckered. What actually happened, will always remain a mystery, but I believe Liston's decision to take a nap at the first available opportunity, was a key factor.

Comment

Originally posted by user4
        We have discussed the style problem that fighters face. Liston fought like a George Foreman slugger with incredible power at every angle and range and he did it from a standing position. That style demolishes the bob and weave approach of a Patterson or a Frazier but it is lunch meat for a fast moving jabber/boxer.
        If we follow this theory to its hypothetical conclusion, Foreman would have destroyed Mike Tyson but Tyson would have beaten Ali? Too bad we don't have a time machine to transform all of these fighters into their prime at the same time, and then we wouldn't have to speculate.

Comment

Originally posted by catson52
          No one has written so far regarding Ken Norton. He gave (an older Ali) as much trouble as he could handle.r.

I think you meant to say that an equally old and less adequately trained Ken Norton beat Ali.

Comment

Originally posted by user4
            No one has written so far regarding Ken Norton. He gave (an older Ali) as much trouble as he could handle.r.

I think you meant to say that an equally old and less adequately trained Ken Norton beat Ali.
            I know nothing about Norton's general conditioning and training for his fights with Ali. What I meant was the Ali of the mid-late 60s was a great deal better than that of the 70s, in spite of Zaire, rope-a-dope etc.. I was out of North America for his first fight with Frazier, saw the result posted on an electronic board outside a newspaper office. I turned to my brother and said Ali was lucky not to get knocked out. Though lacking a single knock out punch (except against an old Folley), that was a great fighter.

Comment

I turned to my brother and said Ali was lucky not to get knocked out. Though lacking a single knock out punch (except against an old Folley), that was a great fighter.
              I once heard a boxing pundit say this: "The good thing about Ali-Frazier I is that Ali found out that he could take a punch, and the bad thing about Ali-Frazier I is that Ali found out that he could take a punch."

Comment

Working...
              X