Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL Zooooooommm!!!

With all the 40 action I got to thinking about just who was the top speed demon on these NFL teams? I'm going to go with track exploits and if a guy played even in a preseason game he makes the cut. If he played on more than one team it's where he made the biggest impact.

A few others who deserve mention also.

Niners...Ray Norton SJS
    Cards...Mel Gray Mo
    Rams...Ron Brown ASU, Bob Boyd Loyola, Ollie Matson UofSF
    Seahawks...Percy Harvin Florida
    Packers...Travis Williams ASU, Phil Epps TCU
    Bears...Willie Gault Tenn, Cecil Turner CPSLO
    Vikings....Michael Bennett Wisconsin
    Lions...Javid Best Cal
    Cowboys...Bob Hayes FAMU
    Eagles...Frank Budd Villnova
    Redskins....Darrel Green Tex A&I
    Giants...Henry Carr ASU, Homer Jones TSU Butch Woolfolk Michigan
    Saints...Larry Burton Purdue
    Falcons...Gerald Tinker Kent State
    Panthers...Michael Bates Arizona. Rocket Ismaol ND
    Buc;s...Jeff Demps Florida
    Broncos...Sam Graddy Tenn, Trindon Holliday LSU
    Chargers...Wilie McGee Alcorn
    Chiefs...Stone Johnson Grambling
    Colts...Curtis Dickey Tex A&M, Buddy Young Illinois
    Jags...Jermaine Lewis Maryland
    Titans/Oilers...Tony Jones Texas
    Texans...Jerome Mathis Hampton
    Pats....Stanley Morgan Tenn
    Jets...Johnny Jones Texas
    Bills...Clyde Glosson Tex Western, OJ Simpson USC, JD Hill ASU
    Dolphins...Jimmy Hines TSU
    Ravens...Pat Johnson Oregon
    Steelers...Lavern Smith Kansas
    Browns...Eric Metcalf Texas
    Bengals...Tommie Smith SJS

So I need to add/substract..????

This is amazing. All these guys were Raiders sometime in their career. Most countries can't compare to this.

Jacoby Ford Clemson 10.01
    James Jett WV Olympian
    Alvis Whited NCSt 10.07
    James Trapp Clemson 10.14
    Ron Brown ASU Olympian
    Sam Graddy Tenn Olympian
    Wilie Gault Tenn 10.10
    Cliff Branch Colorado 9.2
    Alexander Wright Auburn NFL 's Fastest Man
    Napolean Kaufman Wash Cali State Champ
    Micheal Bennett Wisconsin 10.18
    Bo Jackson Auburn 4.1
    Rocket Ismail ND anyone nick named "Rocket"...hey
    Tim Dwight Iowa 10.3ish
    Justin Fargas USC Cali State Champ
    Stanford Routt Houston 20.6ish

That's crazy~~~~~~~

Re: NFL Zooooooommm!!!

Of all of them two clearly stand out as football legends (at least in my mind) : Bullet Bob and Willie Gault. Some of the greats in the second tier would be topped by Cliff Branch.

Comment

Matson was a Cardinal before he was traded (for 9 other guys) to the Rams.

Comment

Originally posted by Dixon
        Panthers....hmmmm?
        Michael Bates - Oly 200m bronze medalist, many time All-Pro kick returner

Comment

Originally posted by user4
          Of all of them two clearly stand out as football legends (at least in my mind) : Bullet Bob and Willie Gault. Some of the greats in the second tier would be topped by Cliff Branch.
          Nobody can argue the impact Bullet Bob made, but it was Buddy Young and Ollie Matson that were the first real...zoooooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmm....in the league. Young being an NCAA/AAU 100 champ and Matson an Olympic 400/4x4 medlist. They were far superior in speed to any defenders of their time.

Obviously we can't talk speed and the NFL very long and not mention Gault and Branch.

Comment

Originally posted by KDFINE
            Matson was a Cardinal before he was traded (for 9 other guys) to the Rams.
            One of my prized possesions is a football card of Matson still with the Chicago Cardinals. I do think of him as a Ram however. I have a couple cards of his as a Ram.

Nine players for the speedster...whoa~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by hc10003
              Panthers....hmmmm?
              I used him as a Seahawk. They like the Panthers... speed poor.

Comment

While on the subject of NFL zoooommmmm.

Is this the All Time 110hh?

lane

1.Jerry Tarr Broncos/Oregon
                2.James Owens Niners/UCLA
                3.Milt Campbell Browns/Indiana
                4.Renaldo Nehemiah Niners/Maryland
                5.Willie Gault Bears/Tennessee
                6.Rod Woodson Steelers/Purdue
                7.Richmond Flowers Giants/Tenn
                8.Earl McCullouch Lions/USC

Comment

Nobody can argue the impact Bullet Bob made, but it was Buddy Young and Ollie Matson that were the first real...zoooooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmm....in the league. Young being an NCAA/AAU 100 champ...

Wow ! ... thanks for that one... I had never heard of Buddy Young. Just read the wiki page... great athlete, great man, great football player. He was effectively a Trindon holiday, Mac Herron and Glenn Davis all rolled into one !

Comment

Dixon, I think the first pro football magazine I ever owned was from 1957. There were full page photos of their "1957 all-star squad". I still have it sans cover. Ollie Matson was profiled, and it pointed out that he had "924 yards gained, second in the league, and 400 more yards called back because of penalties." His very best year was as a Cardinal, so I guess I'll always think of him that way.

Comment

Nobody can argue the impact Bullet Bob made, but it was Buddy Young and Ollie Matson that were the first real...zoooooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmm....in the league. Young being an NCAA/AAU 100 champ...

Wow ! ... thanks for that one... I had never heard of Buddy Young. Just read the wiki page... great athlete, great man, great football player. He was effectively a Trindon holiday, Mac Herron and Glenn Davis all rolled into one !
                      I can't remember when/how I first picked up on him. He was the first of the speedy,elusive, quick Afro American running backs. Amazing speed for a back in that era. Yes, he was a winner in everything.

Glen "Mr. Outside" Davis, that's an intersting story.

Comment

Dixon, I think the first pro football magazine I ever owned was from 1957. There were full page photos of their "1957 all-star squad". I still have it sans cover. Ollie Matson was profiled, and it pointed out that he had "924 yards gained, second in the league, and 400 more yards called back because of penalties." His very best year was as a Cardinal, so I guess I'll always think of him that way.
                        1957 magazine with Matson featured, how cool is that

Funny thing is he never had a 1000 yard season, you;d think he;d had a few. He was also a big back at around 215, that speed/size combo uncommon (Brown didn't have that kind of speed) for the 50's.

Another guy around that time who is pretty much lost in obscurity, Willie Galimore, he also never had a 1000 yard season. But, the Bears also had a great fullback in Rick Casares who did have a 1000 yard season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR1uP9qJ6Lg

Bob Hayes talked about Galimore as being his football hero, Hayes also a running back and attended FAMU.

Comment

I think at the time the only 1,000 yard gainers were Steve Van Buren, Rick Cesaeres, and Beattie Feathers. And then Jim Brown burst on the scene...

Comment

I think at the time the only 1,000 yard gainers were Steve Van Buren, Rick Cesaeres, and Beattie Feathers. And then Jim Brown burst on the scene...
                            Actually it was...

Beattie Feathers Bears 34
                            Steve Van Buren Eagles 47
                            Tony Canadero Packers 49
                            Joe "The Jet" Perry 53
                            Rick Casares 56
                            Jim Brown 58.

Look how long it took another back to gain a 1000 after Beattie in 34. Guy averaged 9.9 a carry (there is some debate over that)

Perry was the first to do it in consecutive seasons. and the answer to that trivia question and these two...

First Afro American
                            Only JC (only) player to ever gain a 1000 in an NFL season.

Comment

Originally posted by hc10003
                              Panthers....hmmmm?
                              I used him as a Seahawk. They like the Panthers... speed poor.
                              Oops, didn't notice that. I did see you had Rocket Ismail as a Raider...he did a few years w/Carolina too, so you could use him there. Or give Bates to Carolina, and Percy Harvin for the Seahawks? I recall a thread during Super Bowl week debating his top speed.

Comment

Working...
                              X