Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a shame....

....we never heard Robert Johnson on an electric guitar. He had enormous hands and long long fingers. He could reach places on a guitar neck nobody else could.

...Ernie Davis never got his shot in the NFL. But, why the Browns thought they needed a running back...???????

..."Cool Papa" Bell and Josh Gibson never got to play in the big leagues.

....Eddie Hart never got his shot at Borzov.

....Larry Black got stuck in lane 1.

...we never saw an old Jimi, Janis, Jim, Patsy, SRV, Buddy, Big Bopper, Ritchie.

...Peacock, Golliday, McTear, Davis never got their Olympic shot.

...Moorcock's "Elric" saga still hasn't been done by Hollywood, it woud be perfect with todays technology.

...Cliff Branch isn't in the HOF.

...San Jose State, Taft JC dumped track.

...Ric Flair is still in the rasslin' biz. I pity his wife.

...Mary Shelly's "Frankenstein" still hasn't been done right. Hard to believe a teenage girl wrote that classic.

....NFLers, Stone Johnson, Mack "The Truck" Lee Hill, Joe Delaney (all Cheif srunning backs) died at such a young age. All could have been special. Johnson/Delaney track guys.

....Rube Lacy*** recorded but one blues record before becoming a preacher. This is the absolute best example of prewar Mississippi Delta Blues, he was a huge influense on all those old Delta players like Tommy "sold my soul to the Devil" Johnson, Ishman Bracey and Charley Patton. Those three influensing others and so it went.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj6wepE_NvY

....the record companies don't do a little research before putting Texas/Louisiana/Georgia bluesmen on Mississippi blues compilations.

*** he actually had a minestry in near by Bakersfield. I was very tempted to find the old guy to see if he'd talk about them old Delta blues/players, he died before I actually did that.

Re: What a shame....

Schubert and Galois...

Comment

Originally posted by Dixon

...Mary Shelly's "Frankenstein" still hasn't been done right. Hard to believe a teenage girl wrote that classic.

Sweet! You touched on two of my biggest pet-peeves.
      Cliff Branch was an absolute monster in the 70s and 80s when it was different for WRs. My biggest argument for Cliff Branch is how his stats DWARF Lynn Swann's, a contemporary of his. Rings? Branch has Three, so there's no shame there. His best seasons kill Swann's, as does his overall career. Grrrr!!! This is a big one for me.

Mary Shelly's Masterpiece. Such a sweet, different tale about a monster who wasn't really monstrous until he felt his hand was forced. A true rendering of this story would confuse people, and I'm sure that unless they read the book, they'd assume the movie was all wrong.
      You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Shelley was actually 21 when Frankenstein was published (although the idea germinated 2 years earlier).

Comment

Originally posted by scottmitchell74

Sweet! You touched on two of my biggest pet-peeves.
          Cliff Branch was an absolute monster in the 70s and 80s when it was different for WRs. My biggest argument for Cliff Branch is how his stats DWARF Lynn Swann's, a contemporary of his. Rings? Branch has Three, so there's no shame there. His best seasons kill Swann's, as does his overall career. Grrrr!!! This is a big one for me.

Mary Shelly's Masterpiece. Such a sweet, different tale about a monster who wasn't really monstrous until he felt his hand was forced. A true rendering of this story would confuse people, and I'm sure that unless they read the book, they'd assume the movie was all wrong.
          Branch was the ultimate "spreed" receiver. He even out stats Bob Hayes another HOFer like Swann. No way anyone can make a case that Branch wasn't superior to both Hayes/Swann, so why are they there and he's not?

Makes no sense.

The Frankenstein story is one of literatures true classics, I read it in three nights. And....it was storming Everything about how the story was conceived and the Shelly's, Lord Byron....the era. Love it!

Comment

Originally posted by gh
            Shelley was actually 21 when Frankenstein was published (although the idea germinated 2 years earlier).
            The bottom line is she began writing the story and conceived the idea prior to 20. It was a teenage girl who came up with the idea.

Comment

.......we did not have official review until the nineties. The very history of sport would be changed. I think of all the abysmal calls that changed the course of history, or worse, upheld the status quo undeservedly. Pathetic.
              Pathetic indeed. And you know officiating is no worse now than it has ever been (you can argue it is BETTER).

What a shame theat Big XII football officiating is not banned for incompetence, upon competent, yet impartial, review.

What a shame the Rolling Stones never covered "Third Rate Romance", by the Amazing Rhythm Aces.

What a shame that ESPN calls the shots, and the viewing public assents.

Comment

Since the originator of the thread mentions things track and field, I feel free to throw in my comments which are related to the sport. The biggest shame IMHO would be the way Raelene Boyle most likely lost 4 Olympic gold medals to athletes who were on drugs in Munich and Montreal. Her ridiculous dq in the '76 200 semis turned out to have been a mistake. And look at who beat her in Munich and Montreal. sigh/.///

Comment

... that female athletes are judged on their "hotness" rather than their performances on the field. (OK, I can go both ways with this one! :twisted: )

... that more of us have never heard the music of the great Sister Rosetta Tharpe, the "Godmother of Rock and Roll"! (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR2gR...xXREoBbaY0Btls)

Comment

Originally posted by houstonian
                    .......we did not have official review until the nineties. The very history of sport would be changed. I think of all the abysmal calls that changed the course of history, or worse, upheld the status quo undeservedly. Pathetic.
                    Pathetic indeed. And you know officiating is no worse now than it has ever been (you can argue it is BETTER).

What a shame theat Big XII football officiating is not banned for incompetence, upon competent, yet impartial, review.

What a shame the Rolling Stones never covered "Third Rate Romance", by the Amazing Rhythm Aces.

What a shame that ESPN calls the shots, and the viewing public assents.
                    I;ve thought about how things would have been different if instant replay had always been with us.

"Third Rate Romance" one of those "gems". Not sure Mick and the guys could have done any better.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Duncan
                      ... that female athletes are judged on their "hotness" rather than their performances on the field. (OK, I can go both ways with this one! :twisted: )

... that more of us have never heard the music of the great Sister Rosetta Tharpe, the "Godmother of Rock and Roll"! (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR2gR...xXREoBbaY0Btls)
                      The greatest of the guitar playing female singers was Memphis Minnie who came before Miss Tharpe. Another one who is totally lost in obscurity was Geechie Wiley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lNG71vqeus

Comment

...we never saw an old Jimi, Janis, Jim, Patsy, SRV, Buddy, Big Bopper, Ritchie.
                        and an old Bob...
                        Regards,
                        toyracer

Comment

- Pre was killed in the prime of his life.

- John Carlos and Tommie Smith were not in their prime right now- their athletic ability and political interest would be welcome today

-virtually all world class athletes retire from competition and choose not to continue competing (even at a greatly reduced level) as they age

- Frank Zappa!

- Europeans overran the native humans and forcibly stole the continent

-Passenger pigeons, dodo's, auks, emus, monk parakeets are all gone by our hand

-starlings and house sparrows are wildly successful invasive species in North America, perhaps only out done by humans themselves.

Comment

Rosetta Tharpe ... much better guitar and much better voice. Minnie just played in an earlier era.

Comment

Originally posted by Vielleicht
                              Schubert and Galois...
                              Mozart and Gershwin. Not quite as young as Schubert, but still . . .

Comment

Working...
                              X