• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What a shame....

Originally posted by Dixon
    Originally posted by scottmitchell74

...Mary Shelly's "Frankenstein" still hasn't been done right. Hard to believe a teenage girl wrote that classic.
    Mary Shelly's Masterpiece. Such a sweet, different tale about a monster who wasn't really monstrous until he felt his hand was forced. A true rendering of this story would confuse people, and I'm sure that unless they read the book, they'd assume the movie was all wrong.

Makes no sense.

The Frankenstein story is one of literatures true classics, I read it in three nights. And....it was storming Everything about how the story was conceived and the Shelly's, Lord Byron....the era. Love it!

Great observations. Some are born with speed, Shelley was born a genius.

Comment

Joe Don Looney could have been one of the all time great running backs. You could say he was his own worst enemy. But in reality he was totally his own enemy IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Helen S
        - John Carlos and Tommie Smith were not in their prime right now- their athletic ability and political interest would be welcome today.
        I doubt it. This generation doesn't have the BALLS of people back in the day. And even if they were around today, it wasn't like back in 1968, when a black man could get MURDERED for being "uppity". It's a good thing Carlos and Smith didn't have to come home to Alabama (or a lot of other places) after the Olympics!

Read John Carlos' biography The John Carlos Story. A lot more politics than track in that little book... you can read it all in a day or two. Funny anecdotes, too, like the time John had a pound of pot and his Dad found it and allegedly "flushed" it! Not to be, as his uncle confessed after the dad died!

Comment

Originally posted by no one
          Rosetta Tharpe ... much better guitar and much better voice. Minnie just played in an earlier era.
          Just like we see here at Track & Field News, where we'lre all into the sport there are also similiar places where everyone is into them old blues and roots music. Then there's the books.

While Ma Rainey and Bessie Smith sit atop the hill when it comes to female blues, they were singers who were backed by a band. When it comes to a guitar playing female blues singer its Lizzie Douglas (Memphis Minnie) who gets the nod among those into the music. I have heard them all and yes Rosetta Tharpe is among the very best but I like most do prefer Memphis Minnie.

But, music is always very subjective. I will add this, if and when you find any "The Essential" The Definitive" "The Greatest" concerning them blues, you will always find....Robert Johnson, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Bessie Smith, Leroy Carr and....Memphis Minnie. If those five aren't there it's bogus. It's like trying to talk the history of American sprinting and no mention Bob Hayes.

Comment

Rosetta Tharpe ... much better guitar and much better voice. Minnie just played in an earlier era.
            Just like we see here at Track & Field News, where we're all into the sport (knowlegeable) there are also similiar places where everyone is into them old blues and roots music. Then there's the books.

While Ma Rainey and Bessie Smith sit atop the hill when it comes to female blues, they were singers who were backed by a band. When it comes to a guitar playing female blues singer its Lizzie Douglas (Memphis Minnie) who gets the nod among those into the music. I have heard them all and yes Rosetta Tharpe is among the very best but I like most do prefer Memphis Minnie.

But, music is always very subjective. I will add this, if and when you find any "The Essential" The Definitive" "The Greatest" concerning them blues, you will always find....Robert Johnson, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Bessie Smith, Leroy Carr and....Memphis Minnie. If those five aren't there it's bogus.

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/ ... 4300/7/#!1

Comment

Originally posted by runforlife
              Joe Don Looney could have been one of the all time great running backs. You could say he was his own worst enemy. But in reality he was totally his own enemy IMHO.
              Very familiar with Looney, saw him play at Oklahoma and as a pro. Not sure I can go with "All Time Great". I can't put him above fellow Lion Billy Sims. Keep in mind his career average is a weak...3.4.

Comment

I won't belabor the 'issue' but just a few quotes:
                "AMERICAN MASTERS
                Sister Rosetta Tharpe: The Godmother of Rock & Roll"

Rosetta Tharpe was a pioneering gospel singer, songwriter and recording artist who attained great popularity in the 1930s and 1940s with a unique mixture of spiritual lyrics and early rock and roll accompaniment. She became the first great recording star of gospel music in the late 1930s and also became known as the "original soul sister" of recorded music.

She was a big influence on Chuck Berry, Elvis Presley, Muddy Waters and Little Richard - to name a few. Could go on tit for tat - not worth my time, but bottom line is they were at their best in two distinct eras. Much like trying to establish who was the greater guitar player : Robert Johnson or Jimi Hendrix. Can't do it. So it comes down to personal preference ... which I prefer Rosetta.

so its a rap for me here. 8-)

Comment

I won't belabor the 'issue' but just a few quotes:
                  "AMERICAN MASTERS
                  Sister Rosetta Tharpe: The Godmother of Rock & Roll"

Rosetta Tharpe was a pioneering gospel singer, songwriter and recording artist who attained great popularity in the 1930s and 1940s with a unique mixture of spiritual lyrics and early rock and roll accompaniment. She became the first great recording star of gospel music in the late 1930s and also became known as the "original soul sister" of recorded music.

She was a big influence on Chuck Berry, Elvis Presley, Muddy Waters and Little Richard - to name a few. Could go on tit for tat - not worth my time, but bottom line is they were at their best in two distinct eras. Much like trying to establish who was the greater guitar player : Robert Johnson or Jimi Hendrix. Can't do it. So it comes down to personal preference ... which I prefer Rosetta.

so its a rap for me here. 8-)

Just thought you might like to know what blues/roots fans like myself think of the early female singers/players.

The greatest prewar guitar player was the guy who influensed Robert Johnson, that would be the great Lonnie Johnson. Jimi was less talented but far more creative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e8Jzp0DNv4

Comment

...Cliff Branch isn't in the HOF.

Ken Stabler should also be in the HOF. Was just as good if not better then
                    Joe Namath imho.

Comment

...we never saw an old Jimi, Janis, Jim, Patsy, SRV, Buddy, Big Bopper, Ritchie.

Also a shame we never saw an old Brian Jones or John Lennon....

Comment

I would add Hank Sr. to that list...

Comment

Originally posted by AFTERBURNER
                          ...Cliff Branch isn't in the HOF.

Ken Stabler should also be in the HOF. Was just as good if not better then
                          Joe Namath imho.
                          I totally agree, Namath is there because of one game. His career stats are weak.

I once saw Stabler on a sports talk show, he was introduced as Hall of Famer Ken Stabler. He said nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by rsb2
                            I would add Hank Sr. to that list...
                            What an amazing talent he was. I 'm not into todays country but I;m most certainly into Hank Williams, The Carter Family and Jimmie Rodgers. Talk about some great stuff, there it is.

In my opinion the perfect country song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS4LCoh0VGQ

Comment

I totally agree, Namath is there because of one game. His career stats are weak.
                              True. Plus he had a losing record I believe. Provided that you saddle the QB with a win or loss, which I don't think is totally fair in football.

Comment

What a shame that Xavier Carter didn't have his head screwed on right. Ponder this:

Usain Bolt age 20 PR's - 10.03, 19.75, 45.28
                                Xavier Carter age 20 PR's - 10.09, 19.63, 44.53

Comment

Working...
                                X