X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Athletes who smoke pot

:wink:

Re: Athletes who smoke pot

Probably about the same percentage as general public, same age group.

Comment

One of the more ludicrous things to be on the banned list
      i deserve extra credit

Comment

I will never ever understand this thing over pot. It's been totally ridiculous forever. Alcohol and tobacco...FAR FAR FAR...worst.

If I were a pro athlete that would be my thing. It is good for what ails ya and has ...0...effect on your skills. A couple drinks is ok if it's just a couple, smoking is 100% stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Dixon
          smoking is 100% stupid.
          So this is only about Alice B. Toklas brownies? :wink:

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
            smoking is 100% stupid.
            So this is only about Alice B. Toklas brownies? :wink:
            Pot smokers don't smoke it like cigarette smokers smoke. They can't slip outside and have a joint.

Comment

Pot smokers don't smoke it like cigarette smokers smoke. They can't slip outside and have a joint.
              A. Tell that to Coloradans.
              B. Isn't pot smoke inhaled the same way as tobacco smoke (if not MORE deeply)?
              I read (famous last words) that MJ smoke is even more harmful to the lungs than tobacco smoke, and from the way I hear some people fire up doobies L&R, I can only imagine what that means.

Comment

A. Tell that to Coloradans.
                B. Isn't pot smoke inhaled the same way as tobacco smoke (if not MORE deeply)?
                I read (famous last words) that MJ smoke is even more harmful to the lungs than tobacco smoke, and from the way I hear some people fire up doobies L&R, I can only imagine what that means.
                A. Tell that to 49 of 50 states.
                B. Who smokes a pack of joints in a day? How many are dying because of smoking pot?

Comment

How many are dying because of smoking pot?
                  random google hit:
                  At the baseline conscription assessment, 10.5 % (n = 5,156) reported lifetime use of marijuana and 1.7 % (n = 831) indicated lifetime use of more than 50 times, designated as "heavy" use [if that's 'heavy', then most pot smokers are heavy - me]. Cox regression analyses (n = 44,284) found that such "heavy" cannabis smoking was significantly associated with more than a twofold risk of developing lung cancer over the 40-year follow-up period, even after statistical adjustment for baseline tobacco use, alcohol use, respiratory conditions, and socioeconomic status.
                  I don't need to DOUBLE my chances for cancer . . .

Comment

I recall that there was a pretty cavalier attitude on this in the film Personal Best. Maybe that's how it was out there back in the day. Here in Alabama, it is still practically a hanging offense.

Comment

How many are dying because of smoking pot?
                      random google hit:
                      At the baseline conscription assessment, 10.5 % (n = 5,156) reported lifetime use of marijuana and 1.7 % (n = 831) indicated lifetime use of more than 50 times, designated as "heavy" use [if that's 'heavy', then most pot smokers are heavy - me]. Cox regression analyses (n = 44,284) found that such "heavy" cannabis smoking was significantly associated with more than a twofold risk of developing lung cancer over the 40-year follow-up period, even after statistical adjustment for baseline tobacco use, alcohol use, respiratory conditions, and socioeconomic status.
                      I don't need to DOUBLE my chances for cancer . . .
                      Why use "heavy" anything as some barometer?

copy

A large-scale national study suggests low to moderate use of marijuana is less harmful to users’ lungs than exposure to tobacco, even though the two substances contain many of the same components.

This comprehensive study, led by UCSF and University of Alabama at Birmingham, collected data from more than 5,000 U.S. adults for more than 20 years.

Smoking cigarettes can cause significant lung damage, including respiratory symptoms, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and lung cancer. It accounts for an estimated 443,000 deaths, or nearly one in every five deaths, each year in the United States, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Data for the long-term effects of marijuana use on the pulmonary system has been scarce until now.

Mark Pletcher, MD, MPH“We found exactly what we thought we would find in relation to tobacco exposure: a consistent loss of lung function with increasing exposure,” said the paper’s lead author, Mark Pletcher, MD, MPH, associate professor in the Division of Clinical Epidemiology at UCSF. “We were, however, surprised that we found such a different pattern of association with marijuana exposure.”

Ya see Marlow those who smoke cigs smoke far more than most pot smokers smoke their pot. Pot smokers aren't smoking a joint every couple hours. I know of no one who got lung cancer from smoking pot .

Comment

those who smoke cigs smoke far more than most pot smokers smoke their pot. Pot smokers aren't smoking a joint every couple hours
                        This is a key difference between tobacco cigarettes and pot.
                        "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                        by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by Pego
                          those who smoke cigs smoke far more than most pot smokers smoke their pot. Pot smokers aren't smoking a joint every couple hours
                          But . . . many pot smokers are already cigarette smokers, so it's on top of their tobacco usage.

Originally posted by http://learnaboutmarijuanawa.org/factsheets/tobacco.htm
                          There are many studies that report on the harmful health effects of smoking tobacco, such as cancer, respiratory disease (bronchitis, emphysema and asthma) and heart disease. While there have been few studies conducted on the effects of marijuana smoke, there is growing evidence that there are similar major health concerns for those who smoke marijuana.
                          What are the links between smoking tobacco and marijuana?
                          International reports have found specific links between smoking both tobacco and marijuana, such as:
                          Many people who try marijuana have previously smoked tobacco.
                          Many current marijuana smokers are also current cigarette smokers.
                          Early onset of tobacco use may act as a "gateway" to future marijuana use.
                          Nicotine dependence can develop if tobacco is used in combination with marijuana.
                          Smoking both marijuana and tobacco increases health risks rather than smoking each alone.
                          Are there any differences in smoking marijuana versus tobacco?
                          Mixing tobacco with marijuana is polydrug use. Nicotine is an addictive drug and the combination of these two substances increases exposure to tar and other carcinogens, causing greater risks to the lungs, respiratory organs as well as the cardiovascular system.
                          Marijuana smokers are also at risk of developing nicotine dependence if they mix tobacco with their marijuana.
                          Compared to tobacco cigarette smokers, people who smoke marijuana typically:
                          Inhale more smoke (two-thirds larger puff volume);
                          Inhale the smoke deeper into the lungs (one-third greater depth of inhalation);
                          Hold the smoke in the lungs for longer time periods (up to four times longer).
                          This results in the lungs being exposed to:
                          Greater amounts of carbon monoxide and other smoke irritants;
                          Greater retention of tar in the respiratory tract.
                          Both carbon monoxide and tar increase the risks of a range of health problems including respiratory tract infections, bronchitis and lung cancer.

Comment

Originally posted by Pego
                            As someone who has done both this is spot on, except most cigarette smokers I know smoke way more than one cig every two hours. I don't smoke either now but picking up the tobacco habit was by far the dumbest thing I have done bad-habit wise (weed not on that list). Still use the medicinal cannabis but have not smoked it for years.

Comment

As this forum's official knee-jerk neo-con reactionary fascist pinko-commie bleeding heart (!), my official position is thus: if you wanna take a few tokes in the privacy of your Coloradan home and you stay the EFF off the roads and outta my way with your giggly escape from a reality I really enjoy, first-hand, you're OK. Everyone else? Fuggedaboudit! :twisted:

Comment

Working...
                              X