Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Earl Morrall

QB for most of the '72 Dolphins' perfect season, and oldest member of the team.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2014/f ... index.html

Re: RIP Earl Morrall

What I remember most was his coming off the bench in the second Lions - Colts game of 1960 and threw two 4th quarter TDs. The first was a 40 yarder to Hopalong Cassidy who ran into the goal post and knocked himself out of the rest of the game. It was the "best" non-playoff game ever. Lenny Moore gave the Colts a lead on an incredible diving catch from Unitas' 38 yard TD pass to what should have been the end of the game. The Lions took the kick-off, Brettschneider got penalized, and the Lions were at their own 35. Morrall threws a 65 yard TD pass on the last play of the game to Jim Gibbons. The whistle blew as he was still running with the ball. The Baltimore stadium emptied silently. The play was designed to try to set them up for a FG attempt (Jim Martin had already kicked a 50+ yarder) but they never would have had to time to kick it. George Plimpton wrote about it in "Paper Lion." Final score 20 - 15.

Comment

When did the goal posts move to back of end zone?

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
        When did the goal posts move to back of end zone?
        Mid-seventies, IIRC.
        "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
        by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

I might be wrong but as I recall the uprights aligned with the goal line, but the single standard itself was about 2 or 3 years in.

Comment

Originally posted by KDFINE
            I might be wrong but as I recall the uprights aligned with the goal line, but the single standard itself was about 2 or 3 years in.
            I think that is correct but I think previously there was no cantilever and both posts were on the goal line.

Comment

One of the greatest backups ever, and also had one of the all-time great flat-tops. RIP Earl.

Comment

Working...
              X