Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ear buds, cell phones, spandex

The question on Jeopardy would be, "What are three things you would not see in road races ten years ago?"

Wife ran Country Music 1/2 marathon today in the awesome city of Nashville. Nearly perfect conditions at the start but it warmed up quickly. The day before there was an expo at the new Music City Center convention facility that is a marvel.

I did not run. But I like to clap and cheer on the runners. I like to say something about the t-shirt a runner is wearing if I can think of something. I'd say "Hook 'Em" when I saw a Texas t-shirt. I saw three "Corre Peru" shirts and said "Viva Peru." Etc. One thing: Nobody heard me because they all had ear buds in. Actually, probably 75 to 80%. I never ran with those and I don't see how serious runners do.

The cell phones were everywhere. Many, if not most, runners ran with them. Hate to pick on the ladies, but they are the worst abusers of the cell phones. They would text while running and at the end, it was all photos, Instagram, Facebook, etc. What did women in prehistoric times do without cell phones?

As recently as five years ago or so, you rarely saw spandex pants on runners. Now, it is a big thing among women. I'd say a good half of the ladies wore spandex.

Just some observations for your consideration.

Re: Ear buds, cell phones, spandex

Wife ran Country Music 1/2 marathon
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Maybe she beat Bill Belichick and his girlfriend (2:36).
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...-half-marathon

worst abusers of the cell phones.
    ----------------------------------------------
    I'd say they are the people sitting in the $200 box seats behind home plate (looking down).

Comment

Re: Ear buds, cell phones, spandex

Originally posted by BillVol
      As recently as five years ago or so, you rarely saw spandex pants on runners. Now, it is a big thing among women. I'd say a good half of the ladies wore spandex.
      I'm with you on the absurdity of ear buds and cell phones in a race (and it's not limited to the shufflers - I saw guys in the top 2% of an 8000-person race in Central Park wearing ear buds yesterday), but spandex has been commonplace for much longer than 5 years.

Comment

Working...
      X