Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Tour De France returns

Watching the climbs in the U.K. I am reminded again of this fact: There's nothing in sport to match the hill climbs with it's mass of frenzied fans. Even the World Cup.

Re: The Tour De France returns

I would also add that the Tour de France takes place in the most beautiful sports venue on the planet, thanks to the helicopter cameras.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist
      I would also add that the Tour de France takes place in the most beautiful sports venue on the planet, thanks to the helicopter cameras.
      Yes and if they'd only get rid of those$&@!banners.

Comment

Cavendish out! I can't but think it was his fault with that aggressiveness in the sprint.

Comment

The NBC commentary crew brought Jens Voigt onto the set after today's stage and that guy is a riot. I can see NBC Sports hiring him in the future if they haven't already done so.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremyp
            Watching the climbs in the U.K. I am reminded again of this fact: There's nothing in sport to match the hill climbs with it's mass of frenzied fans. Even the World Cup.
            all depends on your taste; I can't imagine a much worst waste of my time than watching cycling.

If you wanna talk great moments in sport, then the sheer artistry of Federer/Djokovic today has to take first place for the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
              all depends on your taste; I can't imagine a much worst waste of my time than watching cycling.

If you wanna talk great moments in sport, then the sheer artistry of Federer/Djokovic today has to take first place for the weekend.
              I was referring more to the merging of athlete and fans.

Comment

which is one of the things I hate most of all: those dickheads reaching out into the field of play. It's not about you, guys.

Comment

Originally posted by gh

I watched and enjoyed both. As far as spectacles go, I agree with jeremyp that there's nothing in sports that compares to the overhead view of the best cyclists in the world climbing HC-rated mountain in the Pyrenees or Alps through a sea of humanity with a breathtaking vista in the background.

Comment

Interesting coincidence. Watched the tour go through Harrogate, now watching "last tango in Halifax" and they're driving through....Harrogate.

Comment

Originally posted by gh

I watched and enjoyed both. As far as spectacles go, I agree with jeremyp that there's nothing in sports that compares to the overhead view of the best cyclists in the world climbing HC-rated mountain in the Pyrenees or Alps through a sea of humanity with a breathtaking vista in the background.
                      I watched both as well. Quite a day in great Sport watching.

Comment

Originally posted by gh

Second that on Fed/Joke . completely disagree on the first - love to watch cycling.

Comment

Gh, out of curiousity, are you a fan of distance running, or is it just something you have to cover as part of your job? I ask this because IMO, the drama of a competitive distance race is very similar to the drama of the final climb of a mountain-top finish stage in a Grand Tour?

Comment

Gh, out of curiousity, are you a fan of distance running, or is it just something you have to cover as part of your job? I ask this because IMO, the drama of a competitive distance race is very similar to the drama of the final climb of a mountain-top finish stage in a Grand Tour?
                            Jazz, I am a late comer to the tour de France, but now love it! Just the beautiful and historic villages and countryside is enough reason to watch. There is a huge learning curve in order to appreciate all the nuances of the competition and I understand why many people would find it mostly boring.

My favorite moment is when one of the leaders tries to make a break on a cat 1 climb, riveting! Stage 8,9 and 10 are hilly but stage 17 and 18 are both insanely difficult and may determine the winner unless it is really close, then the time trial will decide things. Right now its not terribly exciting to me, but just wait!
                            phsstt!

Comment

I spent a half hour on the exercise bike this morning watching the tour. Its the ONLY way to use an exercise bike.

Comment

Working...
                              X