X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gh View Post
    HBO doc on Williams starts on Monday.
    Just watched it. I'm smelling Emmy!
    The saddest part was listening to his son, who wanted his dad all to himself, but knew he had to share Williams with the world. I had also forgotten that his main inspiration was Jonathan Winters, who was doing that shtick for 20 years before RW.

Comment

very good.... little heavier than I expected.

Comment

Although probably lacking broad enough interest to warrant a separate thread, I'll use this topic to mention the recent passing this week of airman/radio jock Adrian Cronauer.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/19/o...e=sectionfront

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
          I had also forgotten that his main inspiration was Jonathan Winters, who was doing that shtick for 20 years before RW.
          I'm not sure I knew that Williams was inspired by Winters, but I always thought that their humor was very similar. There was stuff that one or the other of them did that I thought either of them could have done, but that I couldn't imagine anyone else doing.

Comment

After Winters died in 2013 Williams wrote an appreciation in the NY Times, describing how seeing Winters on “The Tonight Show” with Jack Paar got him hooked on comedy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/16/a...n-winters.html

I had also forgotten that his main inspiration was Jonathan Winters, who was doing that shtick for 20 years before RW.
            As if any of us need examples of how our memory is failing in old age, this was posted 4 years ago in post #11 of this thread:
            He once said that all his material was based on Jonathan Winters' riffs, and I can only imagine that was JW's (a comic master himself) greatest compliment.

Comment

Working...
            X