Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    Forget Deion Sanders. He ran in the hand-time era before Indianapolis went to its current SAT setup. Also, forget Chris Johnson's high school 10.3, since you yourself have pointed out that the 100-meter dash has nothing to do with the 40-yard dash, and it's intellectually dishonest to judge a 23-year-old by his accomplishments as an 18-year-old anyway. During the nine years of the SAT era, only five people have run 4.2x at the combine:

Chris Johnson 4.24
    Dri Archer 4.26
    Marquise Goodwin 4.27
    Jacoby Ford 4.28
    Demarcus Van Dyke 4.28

FYI, Trindon Holliday only ran 4.34 which makes since considering the fact that Jacoby Ford was consistently faster than him in 2009 in the 60, while Holliday was faster in the 100. At this point all we can do is offer idle and silly speculation and conjecture on whether Hill is faster than Goodwin at 40 yards.
    I have no problems seeing a 4.25 by a track sprinter. None at all. It's real real obvious (watching him play) he has some serious jets. To ...oh he can't....why play that? No logical reason at all to see Chris Johnson/Dri Archer/Demarcus Van Dyke running a faster 40 than Tyreek Hill......none!

Chris Johnson... a HS sprinter
    Dri Archer... did he run track?
    Demarcus Van Dyke...who?
    Marquise Goodwin...a long jumper
    Tyreek Hill came oh so close to breaking Martin's long standing 200m record, a BIG12 60 champ, a 10.19PR.

Now who runs the fastest 40......hmmmm?
    Last edited by Dixon; 09-01-2014, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dixon View Post
      I have no problems seeing a 4.25 by a track sprinter. None at all. It's real real obvious (watching him play) he has some serious jets. To ...oh he can't....why play that? No logical reason at all to see Chris Johnson/Dri Archer/Demarcus Van Dyke running a faster 40 than Tyreek Hill......none!

Chris Johnson... a HS sprinter
      Dri Archer... did he run track?
      Demarcus Van Dyke...who?
      Marquise Goodwin...a long jumper
      Tyreek Hill came oh so close to breaking Martin's long standing 200m record, a BIG12 60 champ, a 10.19PR.

Now who runs the fastest 40......hmmmm?
      All you've done is regurgitate the same old tired drivel, but the stop watch doesn't lie and 40-yard times can not be deduced from 100 times, lest you're going to tell me that Carl Lewis had 4.2 speed.

Comment

In the tied drivel category I'd but.......

Chris Johnson who did nothing remotely close to Tyreek Hil when he comes to running fast can run a sub 4.30 but Hill can't.

Hell, he might have ran a sub4.30 here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DWeNMEPwlQ

Ok, maybe not, close.
        Last edited by Dixon; 09-01-2014, 08:18 PM.

Comment

I think it is safe to say that Hill, Goodwin and the others are all as fast as they get for the game of football.

Comment

Dixon, who said this?

These short distances do even things out. Some years (obviously) ago Don Quarrie and Steve Williams showed up at an indoor meet in Arizona to run a 60. In the field was a local high school kid named Lanoris Marshall. yep...the kid beat both world classers. Who would have given the kid a chance?
            And this?

I think we all realize the differences between a track 100m and a combine 40. It does however make you wonder just what the big guy [Usain Bolt] could run a combine 40 in. I 'm guessing we'd be a bit surprised that he's now..wow..at that distance. His thing is the speed endurance after 50.
            And this?

When it comes to a ..mere...40 yards we will not see a huge seperation among fast athletes. Obviously that distance is not about sustained/maintained/speed endurance which is the 100m. It's all about quickness/burst and acceleration. Being that is the reality of the situation we do see these fast footballers on a par with noted track sprinters. A 40 is simply too short to seperate the advantage track sprinters have.

Comment

For a good laugh, read this profile of Alabama fans, the dumbest fan base in America.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-foo...on-tide-102913
              I wrote a reply to this earlier today but it disappeared into the bit bucket when I hit "post" because I hadn't logged in. I mentioned that a story like this is "fighting words" down here but I also acknowledged my agreement with the gist of the story as well as adding a few things which were left out ("you can't make this sh*t up"), such as the Harvey Updyke poisoning of the oak trees at Toomer's Corner in Auburn, the shooting death of a female Alabama fan at the hands of another female Alabama fan last year following the Iron Bowl loss to Auburn, and the recent death threats against former QB A.J. McCarron's mother and his wife at a fund-raising event in Mobile which was to feature Updyke in a dunking booth (Updyke was uninvited due to this). Obviously, people take this stuff seriously down here, WAY TOO SERIOUSLY at times.

That said, I simply direct your attention to what we call "scripture" down here, one of the many stories of The Bear, who represents the essence of Tide Pride:

http://www.makeyourmarkec.com/bear-b...e-right-thing/

I don't believe that any other football program in the country has this kind of legacy. THIS is why so many Bama fans are such True Believers.
              Last edited by Bob Duncan; 09-02-2014, 02:59 AM.

Comment

Dixon, who said this?

And this?

And this?
                Well aware of all that, that is about trying to guess at 40 times based on 100m prowess. Hill has ran a 40 in 4.25, that isn't a guess.

After watching the guy play I have no problems saying he is as fast at Chris Johnson at any distance.

Comment

Bob, I just finished watching the Miami-Louisville game, and I couldn't help but think that bobby Petrino could never relate to that Bear Bryant story. Is there a more sleazy and dishonorable man in all of sports?

Comment

Well aware of all that, that is about trying to guess at 40 times based on 100m prowess. Hill has ran a 40 in 4.25, that isn't a guess.

After watching the guy play I have no problems saying he is as fast at Chris Johnson at any distance.
                    Without exception, every player who has ever run the 40 at the Combine in the SAT era, has run slower than they did at their school, so why do you think Hill would be an exception? What makes you think that Hill is faster in the 40 than Trindon Holliday, Jacoby Ford and Jeff Demps?

Comment

Bob, I just finished watching the Miami-Louisville game, and I couldn't help but think that bobby Petrino could never relate to that Bear Bryant story. Is there a more sleazy and dishonorable man in all of sports?
                      Apparently, his reputation precedes him. I had only known about his little affair over at Arkansas but he has been involved in all kinds of things. I just checked out his bio on Wikipedia and while his won/loss record is decent as a head coach (save 2007 for the Falcons), his "ways" have left a lot to be desired.

But I could use his $850K salary these days.

Comment

Running back Nick Chubb at Georgia reminded me of Marshawn Lynch, a beast.
                        Nick Chubb (5-10, 228) 10.69, 21.83, 55-0 shot
                        Todd Gurley (6-1, 226) 13.88 (World Youth Champs) 10.70

Comment

Dixon, in five previous posts on this thread, you used 100 and 200 times as proof of Hill's 40 speed. Has your opinion changed since earlier this year, when you pooh-poohed the idea that 100 times could be used to predict 40 times?

Comment

Dixon, in five previous posts on this thread, you used 100 and 200 times as proof of Hill's 40 speed. Has your opinion changed since earlier this year, when you pooh-poohed the idea that 100 times could be used to predict 40 times?
                            It works like this....

Coach.....I think Hill can run a sub 4.30, he is a 10.19/20.14 guy.
                            Dixon....having that 100.200 speed endurance has little to do with a 40.

Coack...just clocked Tyreek in 4.25, you buy that?
                            Dixon...well seeing as to how he is a legit sprinter....sure. (knowing of his sprint prowess)

Bottom line, is when we see 'known" track guys run a stellar 40 it's very believable. Hell, he trains to be fast.
                            Last edited by Dixon; 09-02-2014, 07:20 PM.

Comment

It works like this....

Coach.....I think Hill can run a sub 4.30, he is a 10.19/20.14 guy.
                              Dixon....having that 100.200 speed endurance has little to do with a 40.

Coack...just clocked Tyreek in 4.25, you buy that?
                              Dixon...He may have run 4.25 at an Oklahoma State workout, but that only translates to 4.3-4.4 at the NFL Combine in Indianapolis
                              FIFY

Bottom line, is when we see 'known" track guys run a stellar 40 it's very believable.
                              It's only believable when it's run in Indianapolis but it doesn't mean squat when it's run on a college campus. Wallace Spearmon ran 4.28 at Arkansas' pro day. Allow that to sink in for a second.

Comment

FIFY

It's only believable when it's run in Indianapolis but it doesn't mean squat when it's run on a college campus. Wallace Spearmon ran 4.28 at Arkansas' pro day. Allow that to sink in for a second.
                                You're kinda missing what I'm saying here. I don't care if the guy ran a 4.25 in an alley/parking lot, if he's a legit .....track sprinter...like in the second fastest HSer ever at 200m, a Big12 sprint champ, a record holder at Oklahoma State, I'm going to.....ok maybe. I won't be......oh no no no no no it wasn't ran in Indy, hahaha!!!!!!!

Sure all that 4.2 stuff is suspect, this is news? I just don't see where a guy like this Hill kid who looks the part and has done what he's done is so.......oh no no no....it just can't be.

When we know Chris Johnson who did nothing remotely/same ball park to Hill when it comes to..zoooooommm....runs a legit sub 4.30.

If neither guy had ever ran a 40 and we ran down who Johnson is and what he's done and Hill and what's he's done, nobody is going to believe Johnson runs a faster 40.

Comment

Working...
                                X