Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atticus
    replied
    So was it Popeye or Mr. Potatohead that said, "I yam what I yam"?

[bork, bork]

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Originally posted by user4 View Post
    Woody Hayes was a great man and a great coach... my favorite Woody Hayes quote:

"three things can happen when you throw the football, two of them are bad"…..
    I always thought that was Darrel Royal, but it appears that while he popoularized it, twas indeed Hayes who said it first.

This from an amazing resource of a website I've not come across before:

http://quoteinvestigator.com/2011/10/04/pass-3-things/

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by user4 View Post
    I dont consider his last game to be in any way representative of who he was as a coach and a man.
    That final incident was just one of many. He got a pass on the others because he was winning. Paterno was a much better man and he still ended sadly.

Leave a comment:

• user4
    replied
    Woody Hayes was a great man and a great coach... my favorite Woody Hayes quote:

"three things can happen when you throw the football, two of them are bad"

I dont consider his last game to be in any way representative of who he was as a coach and a man. If you have ever seen a loved one in the early stages of dementia, they say and do things that are odd and they lose things.. things like their moral compass.

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied
    Yes, but he was funny and his players loved him. Kush was just an asshole, including the treatment of his own players.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    all depends on your perspective: from where I sat, Woody was one of the biggest dicks ever and got just what he deserved.

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied
    Frank Kush was one of the most unlikable creatures, Woody was not.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    I always though he and Frank Kush (ASU) would end up like they did.

Leave a comment:

• user4
    replied
    I was a huge Ohio State fan during the age of Woody Hayes, one of my favorite coaches ever. I thought Tressel was a very good coach. Im happy for Urban Meyer and the OSU program.

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    Being an Ohio kid himself, you could sense in Urban Meyer's post-game comments that this national championship meant more to him than the ones he won at Florida. Randall Gay, a Baton Rouge kid who won a national champion at LSU (2003) and Super Bowls at both New England (2004) and New Orleans (2009), was asked to compare his Super Bowl rings and he answered, "There's no place like home." As a fellow Ohioan, who also won two championships in Florida and who has recently returned home, I can only imagine the thoughts that were going through Lebron James' mind as he saw Urban Meyer raise the trophy with confetti falling down on him.
    Last edited by jazzcyclist; 01-18-2015, 04:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• scottmitchell74
    replied
    Born in Canton, raised in Minerva ( a tiny town 15 miles east of Canton).

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied
    Originally posted by scottmitchell
    I'm a die-hard, life-long Buckeyes fan
    Are you from Columbus?

Leave a comment:

• scottmitchell74
    replied
    Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    User4, with all due respect, no intellectually honest person who follows college football closely would describe either of those games as contests between two "very well matched teams". In 2003, Miami came into the game as heavy favorites after steam-rolling their opponents all season long, recieving all but one vote in the Coaches' Poll, while Ohio State had several near-misses during lackluster, albeit undefeated season. Similarly, FSU came into the 2014 game as overwhelming favorites and the unanimous #1 in the Coaches' Poll, after dominating all their opponents with first half knockouts, while Auburn had a loss to a mediocre LSU and several wins by way of last-second miracles. Both Ohio State in 2003 and Auburn in 2014 played above their heads and managed to stay in games that were expected to be blowouts, and I give both of them a lot of credit for rising to the occacion.

If your argument is that neither game was decided until the very end, and both of them could have gone either way, I agree with you, but that doesn't mean the teams were equal. After the New York Giants ended the the New England Patriots perfect season in Super Bowl 42, Michael Strahan said that the Patriots were clearly the better team, and if they played 10 times the Patriots would win 9. IMO, that's a good description of the 2003 and 2014 BCS Championship games, with the difference being that Auburn didn't get its late-game break like the Giants and the Buckeyes did.
    I'm a die-hard, life-long Buckeyes fan...and...I have to agree with Jazzy. I'd give the Buckeyes a 2-8 or 3-7 record in 10 games against the Hurricanes. However, they won the one the counts! (And so did the Giants)

Back to the recent past, of course I couldn't be happier with the results and hope the NCAA doesn't mess around too much with the current formula.
    Last edited by scottmitchell74; 01-17-2015, 07:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dickson
    replied
    The committee would have loved to have had Notre Dame in there, and if there was anyway in hell they would have. So if they can't have ...."win one for the Gipper"....how about..."three yards and a cloud of dust"....instead, so they did.

The college game is all about tradition, The Four Horsemen, will never die (regardless of the fact very few know who they actually were). You can't have Baylor/TCU there instead of Woody Hayes. Those two schools have no tradition. Outside of Texas who gives a damn about Horned Frogs and Bears? Everyone knows all about....The Buckeyes. Hell...."The Buckeye Bullet"...ha~~~~~~~~

If there is any scenario where one of these traditional powers/brand names can get in, there they will be.

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    Originally posted by odelltrclan View Post
    Does that include Barry Switzer?
    What did he do? You'll have to refresh my memory.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X