• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Pull for Kentucky: They don't pretend school matters"

http://nypost.com/2015/03/20/the-ref...ning-kentucky/

brilliant, simply brilliant

Comment

The two pictures of coaches Calipari and Williams scream out the whole story.
      Last edited by user4; 03-20-2015, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
        brilliant, simply brilliant

What else is new about almost all powerhouse college basketball, football, and to a lesser extent, baseball teams?

Comment

It just so happens that quite a few quality programs graduate most of their athletes (Iowa, Wisconsin, Purdue...).
          "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by catson52 View Post
            What else is new about almost all powerhouse college basketball, football, and to a lesser extent, baseball teams?
            to so much lesser extent that Baseball, like track and field should not be mentioned with the other two.

Comment

A somewhat related piece, centering on Syracuse hoops.

http://www.phillymag.com/news/2015/0...an-missanelli/

Comment

Originally posted by Pego View Post
                It just so happens that quite a few quality programs graduate most of their athletes (Iowa, Wisconsin, Purdue...).
                The graduation rate was one of the main reasons I found Bobby Knight tolerable. He may have been a borderline lunatic, but many/most of his athletes got degrees.

Comment

Originally posted by user4 View Post
                  to so much lesser extent that Baseball, like track and field should not be mentioned with the other two.
                  Should have mentioned TF also. To those looking at graduation rates only, any attempt to measure "quality" versus "quantity"? Having worked for 25+ years at one of the powerhouses mentioned earlier, graduating student athletes' "mental capabilities" and "knowledge" acquired, leave a great deal to be desired.

Comment

Well, it seems all of the teams mentioned positively above were Big Ten teams, a league some were denigrating after they were mentioned as discussing not having freshmen compete in football and basketball (no one-and-dones...). The Big Ten is still Big-Time college sports (remember the comment about the sudden star QB for Ohio State complaining earlier in his college career about why do they have to take classes), but the SEC and programs like Kentucky's are certainly a step 'ahead'.

Comment

The pictures of the two coaches tell the whole story. I laughed coffee out through my ears when I saw them and wanted to high five the photo journalists who must have known they nailed it!
                      Last edited by user4; 03-22-2015, 02:20 PM.

Comment

I have proof. Three or four years ago I asked my mother, a UK alum and brilliant woman, just exactly what was UK's basketball team's graduation rate in recent years. She replied, after a deliberate and well-measured pause, "We don't care."

Comment

Originally posted by Pego View Post
                          As the UNC issue shows, graduating athletes means very little. Plus, much of the difference between Kentucky and Purdue is that Kentucky has athletes ready for professional basketball meaning they are staying only a year or two while Purdue has few athletes at 19 ready for the pros.

Comment

That is exactly my point. Some programs play their students, some are a stepping stone for NBA. As DrJay's above post indicates, some people prefer the latter. De gustibus...
                            "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                            by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

NCAA Division I = Triple-A ball for MLB.

Some baseball prospects only need a year in the Minors before getting called up to The Show. Kentucky is the best place to play for basketball blue-chippers. College is supposed to prepare one for the 'real world'. For the kinds of kids that Kentucky gets, the NBA IS real life and Ky prepares them well. This may sound odd for an educator, but I think that what's happening at Kentucky . . . 'works'.

Comment

Working...
                              X