Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biggest doping scandal in years

Time for doping forum to open?

The Sunday Times and German broadcaster ARD/WRD have obtained access to the results of 12,000 blood tests from 5,000 athletes.

According to the newspaper, the evidence - which has been seen by the BBC - reveals the "extraordinary extent of cheating" by athletes at the world's biggest events.

The investigation used two of the world's "foremost anti-doping experts", scientists Robin Parisotto and Michael Ashenden, to review the data. The files belong to world governing body the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF), but have been leaked by a whistleblower.
    According to the experts, the database reveals:

A third of medals (146, including 55 golds) in endurance events at the Olympics and World Championships between 2001 and 2012 were won by athletes who have recorded suspicious tests. It is claimed none of these athletes have been stripped of their medals.
    More than 800 athletes - one in seven of those named in the files - have recorded blood tests described by one of the experts as "highly suggestive of doping or at the very least abnormal".
    A top UK athlete is among seven Britons with suspicious blood scores.
    British athletes - including Olympic champion heptathlete Jessica Ennis-Hill - have lost out in major events to competitors who were under suspicion.
    Ten medals at London 2012 were won by athletes who have dubious test results.
    In some finals, every athlete in the three medal positions had recorded a suspicious blood test.
    Russia emerges as "the blood testing epicentre of the world" with more than 80% of the country's medals won by suspicious athletes, while Kenya had 18 medals won by suspicious athletes.
    Stars such as Britain's Mo Farah and Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt recorded no abnormal results.
    Athletes are increasingly using blood transfusions and EPO micro-doses to boost the red cell count.

The World Anti-Doping Agency is "very alarmed" after allegations about the "extraordinary extent of cheating" in athletics.

This seems to show that Kenyans are deeply involved. What about Ethiopians?

Comment

From story on the front:

"Former Boston marathon winner Rito Jeptoo asserts that Kenyan athletes are not subjected to blood tests while training. Another Kenyan runner claims that the national federation suppresses positive doping results in return for bribes."

"Seppelt also suggests the International Association of Athletics Federations isn't doing enough to address the problem of doping in endurance disciplines. After evaluating data on athletes' blood collected at major athletics competitions over a number of years, two Australian scientists conclude that doping is the only plausible explanation for some of the measurements. The IAAF also refused to speak with Seppelt about his suspicions."

Sounds familiar to other countries. Everyone cheats.
      Last edited by booond; 08-02-2015, 01:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dbirds View Post
        Time for doping forum to open?
        of course it is.
        And thank God Bolt and Farah are not implicated.

Comment

I wish that names could be produced...clean athletes deserve the truth,

Comment

The Sunday Times headline on a side story says: "A dozen top British athletes have recorded abnormal blood scores."

So, at glance, I'm not sure where BBC would get "seven" Brits involved (and only one "top").

And it's BS that athletes and, even more, the coaches of these athletes, are not being named when BBC, Times and the rest of the British press have been carrying the public crusade against Salazar and Rupp in the absence of any suspicious test results whatsoever. The "source request" excuse is just that.

The breaking Times/ARD report on the 2001-2012 IAAF database is a follow-up to the ARD report that came out in December 2014 on an IAAF database covering the 2006-2008 period, also alleging hundreds of suspicious results. The word that one of these results involved a prominent British endurance athlete (not Farah) led to a public response from Paula Radcliffe.

The Kenya report is a separate matter and should come as no surprise to anyone who pays attention. There's no reason to believe Ethiopia is any different. And yes, it does occur to me that Americans (not just Salazar's proteges) who manage to compete at the top level are successfully gaming the system, even if they have a few more hoops to jump through.

I enjoy the sport, detest the hypocrisy.

Comment

Love how you folks just throw Ethiopia into doping scandals with absolutely zero proof.

Comment

What is the IAAF's involvement? In these cases it is rare that the top of the food chain isn't involved. Follow the money!

Comment

Well, this has definitely taken over the Twitterverse!!
                  Dozens of tweets about it, and from several elite athletes!

Comment

Originally posted by beebee View Post
                    Love how you folks just throw Ethiopia into doping scandals with absolutely zero proof.
                    The point Jeptoo made is there is no national drug administration blood testing during training. I don't think you can provide evidence of an effective state-run testing system in Ethiopia. This is not an accusation against any individual athlete.

Comment

Well, this should provide the much needed entertainment before WC's.
                      On a serious note, I'd like to know why these results were 'leaked'? Were they paid? What is the involvement of the IAAF? What can really be done with all this information?

"Stars such as Britain's Mo Farah and Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt recorded no abnormal results."

Thank God!

Comment

Originally posted by betterthanb4 View Post
                        "Stars such as Britain's Mo Farah and Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt recorded no abnormal results."
                        I have two problems with this quote. #1 what about the rest of the stars - SAFP, Eaton, Rudisha, Adams, whomever - it leaves all of them hanging. #2 I always believe the worst in major entities and it would not shock me if some athletes results have been wiped clean or not produced. THAT DOESN"T MEAN EITHER ARE GUILTY. But when they are singled out I smell a rat.

Comment

i was gonna say that, this does not mean they are both clean. sorry to be pessimistic, but i have always suspected that most (80%?) of the top athletes are not clean.

Comment

And people were complaining that there was nothing to discuss between the end of the DL and the start of the worlds

Comment

I'll look forward to reading this properly later today but initially I have to say that 'highly suggestive' isn't exactly concrete evidence.

Comment

Working...
                              X