X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "the 80 best books every man should read"

so if you hated Esquire's movie list, try this one on for size

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment.../g96/80-books/

with this disclaimer: <<An unranked, incomplete, utterly biased list of the greatest works of literature ever published. How many have you read?>>

ok, so color me a total illiterate; although I've seen movie versions of at least half of them, I think I've only read 4! And I've spent half my life reading!

Comment

I have read eight of those books. Most with a gun to my head at school. I think I might have enjoyed two of them.

No Louis L'Amour on this list, so it cannot possibly be considered manly.

Comment

I have not even heard of the majority of them.
        "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
        by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

I hate lists that aren't lists--they're a series of separate pages you have to click through to get to the next one. I won't be doing this one.

Comment

Yikes. I have only read 18 and almost every one as either a student or teacher.
            The Road still haunts me. Scariest post-apocalyptic book ever, as a father tries to keep his young son safe.

Comment

I've read only seven. three of the books I didn't bother to finish, only one of which I've thought about trying again.
              What, no baseball books or books about exploration? Feh, another dumb list!

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                I hate lists that aren't lists--they're a series of separate pages you have to click through to get to the next one. I won't be doing this one.
                Agreed!

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/7...an_Should_Read

21, plus a few others I started and didn't finish. Just recently got around to reading Huck Finn. The Things They Carried was also a recent read - might be the best war novel I've ever read.
                Last edited by bad hammy; 09-07-2015, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Read 27 of them. Went through a Cormac McCarthy phase, stunned by "The Road" but as someone here said most of these were "gun to my head" reads in College or H.S. Lit classes. The one big exception was "Brothers Karamazov" which was lent to me in the Peace Corps by an anthropologist and it kept a lonely guy great company in a foreign land. I was a huge John D. McDonald fan, read every one of them, but hardly literature of a high nature. Now I only read non fiction.

Comment

I hate 80 page lists too... after suffering through repeated webpage recoveries, I find, as I sit here surrounded by several thousand books, that I have read only18 of these books, have read, not this book but 12 other books by the author and have seen 11 movies based on books I have not read

Comment

Skimming my shelves, I find them heavy with Ludlum, Forsyth. Lecarre and other cold-war and international suspense novels, a complete set of Michner (except the pricey Japanese print book, which is not a novel), biographies and historical novels... more contemporary Clancy, Grisham.... and three Philip Roth books..
                      Last edited by lonewolf; 09-07-2015, 10:28 PM.

Comment

100% for me
                        100% I haven't read any of them
                        For British posters I grew up reading:
                        * The Dandy
                        * Beano
                        * Lion
                        * Roy of the Rovers
                        * Tiger
                        * Commando
                        * The Phantom

Comment

I have read 36 of these. They got Charles Bukowski on the list. I'll say he wrote for men! Try Post Office and Women, very short books

However, I'll take Crime and Punishment over Karamazov and probably Blood Meridian over The Road. They should have listed More Conrad and Graham Greene. Was never crazy about De Lillo's Underworld. Liked Libra much better, even White Noise. Favourite Phillip Roth, Operation Shylock. Glad to see Huck Finn on the list + Frederick Exley's phenomenal A Fan's notes.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                            Yikes. I have only read 18 and almost every one as either a student or teacher.
                            The Road still haunts me. Scariest post-apocalyptic book ever, as a father tries to keep his young son safe.
                            Having read a few McCarthy's I found the Road tedious. Not horrible but never had me by the throat.

Comment

A dumb list which underrates men. I've read somewhere around half - a few for school, many when I worked at my parent's bookstore during summers when it was slow. I was getting nervous that the dolts hadn't added any Twain's.

Comment

Working...
                              X