X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Why Jim Brown remains the standard of NFL greatness"

Nice piece by SI's Tim Layden.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/09/28/j...-nfl-greatness

Size and speed difference between him and the defenders was huge. I'd argue he is the greatest athlete this country's produced.

Comment

Originally posted by booond View Post
      Size and speed difference between him and the defenders was huge. I'd argue he is the greatest athlete this country's produced.
      He's in my top 5, but Bo Jackson is #1, with Neon Deion and Jim Thorpe just behind because of their smaller stature. If Bo hadn't split his time and then gotten hurt, he'd have (IMO) surpassed all of JB's records. That said, JB is indeed the Football GOAT.

Adrian Peterson would have to average 1,900 yards per season for the next three full seasons to match Brown’s per-game rushing mark, the 56-game hitting streak of NFL records.
      Last edited by Atticus; 10-07-2015, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Like booond mentioned his size/speed/agility combo was totally unique for his day. And he played at a time before we saw a huge % of Afro American defenders. With the exception of Lenny Lyles he was probably faster than any db in the league.

Imagine a 230 pound fullback returning kickoffs, which he did early in his career.

His highlight video is simply...wow~~~~ ...you are in awe.

Probably the most amazing thing about his story is how defenses were all set to stop Jim Brown, yet he stil averaged over 5 yards a carry/100 yards a game for a career. That is amazing.

I find this interesting.

In his first few seasons Brown had Bobby Mitchell a former Big10 sprint/hurdlers champ at Illinois as his running back (Brown a fullback) who averages over 5 yards a carry. He was fantastic. Gained over 2000 from 58-61, scored 16 TD rushing. Why he was traded for the rights(Redskins) to get Ernie Davis? Why the Browns thought they needed Ernie Davis remains a mystery to me.

That Jim Brown/Bobby Mitchell tantum second only to Grange and Nagurski as a stud combo. Could debate Taylor & Hornung. (talking pro football so forget Army)

Mitchell as a Redskin had a HOF career as a wide receiver.
        Last edited by Dickson; 10-07-2015, 06:47 PM.

Comment

6'2" 230 lbs and able to run like tuned diesel ... Brown would be one of the best RBs in any NFL era.

I dont know if he is the greatest NFLer ever but based on his stats and dominance he has to be on the top 5.
          Last edited by user4; 10-07-2015, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
            He's in my top 5, but Bo Jackson is #1, with Neon Deion and Jim Thorpe just behind because of their smaller stature. If Bo hadn't split his time and then gotten hurt, he'd have (IMO) surpassed all of JB's records. That said, JB is indeed the Football GOAT.
            Deon Sanders was all glitter....skipped the physical aspect of the game...couldn't tackle to save his life.

1)Brown
            2)Payton
            3)Taylor
            4)Rice
            5)Montana

Comment

Seems like a repeat of other discussions on this forum, but I'd argue that Jackie Robinson would have to be included in any list of the five greatest (all around) athletes that this country has produced. Milt Campbell also has to be up there.

Comment

Originally posted by beebee View Post
                Deon Sanders was all glitter....skipped the physical aspect of the game...couldn't tackle to save his life.

1)Brown
                2)Payton
                3)Taylor
                4)Rice
                5)Montana
                Have to favor lists like this one that recognize the real nature of the game. Every coach knows that your best football players are your linebackers. They bring it all together.

Comment

1)Brown
                  2)Payton
                  3)Taylor
                  4)Rice
                  5)Montana
                  Reggie White

Comment

Originally posted by user4 View Post
                    Have to favor lists like this one that recognize the real nature of the game. Every coach knows that your best football players are your linebackers. They bring it all together.
                    Yep...
                    Mr. LT could run with a top running back and bull rush a 300 pound offensive linemen...fast, quick, super nasty, unstoppable and maybe the most intimidating player ever after Brown. Completely changed the position.

Comment

Yeah, that's why he was
                      8-time All-Pro and 2-time NFC Defensive Player of the Year

Comment

Brown remains atop my list, but nonetheless, my recollection of the difference in rules between then and now suggest to me that he got a lot of yards that wouldn't have counted today because he would have been ruled down. Or am I misremembering?

Comment

Sorry if already posted. Video of 1956 All-American team including Brown. Paul Hornung of 2-8 Notre Dame was Heisman winner. Johnny Majors was second. Jim Brown may have had more of a beef than Majors for being overlooked.

BTW, I love that Brown was a lacrosse player. And I think one of the greatest ever.

https://vimeo.com/56352645

http://apps.uslacrosse.org/museum/ha...php?prof_id=35
                          Last edited by BillVol; 10-08-2015, 02:49 AM.

Comment

Apologies for going off subject. In looking back I was reacting to Atticus' comment about Brown being this country's greatest athlete.
                            I still cannot believe that Hornung won the Heisman. Between that and the big TV contracts I nearly always root for ND to lose.

Comment

The greatest football players of all time are:

Brown
                              Taylor
                              White
                              Munoz
                              Hannah

Best QB is Brady
                              Best TE is Gronkowski (if he remains healthy) Mackey, if not
                              Best C - Jim Otto
                              Best CB - Rod Woodson
                              Best S - Ronnie Lott
                              Best WR -Rice
                              Last edited by booond; 10-08-2015, 04:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X