Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• you know what hitting fan in Oregon?

Eugene Register-Guard looks into Nike money and the governor at time of 2021 bid approval. See story on front page.

This demonstrates (as if anyone was in any doubt) how disingenuous the likes of Lannana and Coe were when they repeatedly said Nike played no part in the bid process. Sure - there weren't Nike execs in the bid team pitching to the IAAF - but Nike has obviously played a big part in getting the champs to Oregon.

Another aspect of this I find interesting is the fact that the state legislature still has to pass legislation for the funding package. The IAAF press release in April stated that:
    “..the candidature of the city from the State of Oregon and USATF .. .. .. uniquely combined the commitment of the funding by the governor of Oregon with the support of the United States Olympic Committee and the commitment of NBC.. .. ..”.
    Interesting use of the word 'commitment'. I took that to mean that the money was approved and allocated. Were the IAAF council members misled? Would they have voted had they known that the state legislature might not cough up the money? (Or did everyone just assume that Nike would come forward and cover any shortfall if the politicians reneged on the 'commitment').

Comment

If we put aside all the potential subterfuge is there anyone who is upset or thinks it's a bad idea for Eugene to have WC in 2021 ??
      i deserve extra credit

Comment

Originally posted by mump boy View Post
        If we put aside all the potential subterfuge is there anyone who is upset or thinks it's a bad idea for Eugene to have WC in 2021 ??
        The Gothenburg bid team probably is.
        Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by mump boy View Post
          Is that a tacit endorsement of "potential subterfuge" if the end is justified by the means?

Comment

I was about to post the same thing, OneWay. I think attitudes like "the end justifies the means" or "this is in the wider interest of the sport" can be used to justify all manner of minor rule transgression or breaches of due process. The trouble is, once those attitudes are ingrained in an individual or organisation culture, then they get used to justify larger transgressions and breaches.

The Nick Davies case is a good example. He (and many on this board) saw nothing wrong in delaying a disciplinary process in order to manage the PR around it. Maybe that is no big deal in the great scheme of things but it just reinforces the sense that the IAAF is run without transparency and accountability (two words prominent in yesterday's press release from them about "Rebuilding Trust").

I am willing to believe that the vast majority of people in the sport are not corrupt. I see this "end justifies the means" mentality as symptomatic more of an inherent arrogance. It's the mentality who firmly believe that they know what's best for the sport and can best judge what the public "needs to know."

Comment

I see wisps of smoke (assumptions that Nike 'bought' the governor's support) here and there, but no fire . . . or am I missing something obvious? I agree that the IAAF blew it in the way they handled the 'fiat' nature of the decision (lack of due process, which is indeed troubling), but did Eugene do anything unethical that needs redress?

I think it was clear from the get-go that this couldn't work without the backing of Nike and that state/local support would have to come into play.
              Last edited by Atticus; 01-06-2016, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Did Eugene do anything unethical? Depends if you think "bribing" the Governor is unethical.

In New Zealand if the Prime Minister accepted $400,000 in similar circumstances he would be almost certainly be charged with corruption. And so he should if he ever stooped that low, because taking money in such circumstances is clearly corrupt IMO.

But then I guess that is considered OK in the USA because US politicians all seem to be on the take when it comes to taking lobbyist monies.

Comment

Indeed. Pro football and baseball owners get huge public subsidies for their stadiums that dwarfs the Hayward deal.

However, I am kind of surprised about the need for public money coming from Uncle Phil. It seems like pocket change compared to the gobs of money spent on the campus for athletics in the last few years.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
                    Did Eugene do anything unethical? Depends if you think "bribing" the Governor is unethical.
                    Wow - if that's 'bribing the governor', then every politician in American is bought and paid for. Super-PACs are all about this sort of stuff. It's business as usual. If I'm the governor, I say, thank you very much for the money, now . . . what's in this for my STATE? If the contributor sells me on the notion of "what's good for General Motors is good for America", then I'm all for it.

Comment

Fascinating cultural difference at work in the reactions from Tuariki (who I agree with) and Atticus. I wonder (and by all means correct me if I'm wrong, Atticus) if questions of ethics and morality in American political life revolve more around what could be proved in a court of law than anyone's moral code.

Atticus is looking at this from the point of view of the governor and maybe he is right. Maybe the governor thought "if some corporate mug is stupid enough to give me a shed load of money then I'll take it but it won't influence what I do for the good of the state". (Personally I find that VERY hard to swallow). But how do you explain Knight's actions? What possible motivation did he have other than persuading the governor to make the funding commitment?

Comment

Has a company ever donated a significant amount to a politician without the expectation of direct benefit from that elected official's position? That's the way it works.

Heck, here in Austin, Lone Star Cab Company just donated money to a city councilwoman and she created an ordinance that effectively drives Uber and Lyft out of the city. Now, Uber and Lyft will have to donate to a different elected official to kill the ordinance. In the end, the deepest pockets win. 'Merica!
                        Last edited by Cooter Brown; 01-06-2016, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cubehead View Post
                          Indeed. Pro football and baseball owners get huge public subsidies for their stadiums that dwarfs the Hayward deal.
                          And basketball.... and hockey... and soccer...

That's why I laugh at the "uproar" here. Call me when the state of Oregon decides to drop $500 million on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post
                            The Gothenburg bid team probably is.
                            Okay, so what. I can understand if the Eugene bid was by a bunch of yokels who didn't know anything about track, but obviously that's not true. Gothenburg wanted to put in a bid and compete with Eugene. What does that even mean...bigger bribes? So the Swedes have to wait a couple of years. Big deal.
                            Compared to awarding the 2022 World Cup to Qatar this Eugene 'scandal' is trivial.

Comment

The Governor may not have personally receive the $400k but I gotta think the warm fuzzy feeling (possibly) influenced his change of opinion about the Eugene proposal.

Comment

Working...
                              X