Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Study on Cardiac Arrest and Response time

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/nat...735/story.html

Basically you're SOL if you have a cardiac arrest outside the hospital - 4.2% survival rate - but live in a high rise and you're better off jumping out the window than hoping the EMTs get to you on the 25th floor.

I'm a professional firefighter, and have been involved in dozens or maybe even a hundred or more cases of CPR over a 16+ year career...and have seen a small handful of people "come back" on the job. The 4.2% rate seems about right. The ONE time I was involved in CPR off-duty was when I was a ref at a high school basketball game and a man in the stands went into cardiac arrest. After 4 rounds of two-person CPR the man (in his 60s) not only regained his pulse and was breathing on his own, he regained consciousness and was talking to us. I attribute such a response 100% to the fact that we were able to start CPR about 60-90 seconds after he went into arrest. Only one other time in my entire career has a person "come back" enough on scene or in an ambulance to talk to the crew, but the one time I do it off-duty (with no specialized equipment, remember) the person has a full recovery. Response time is massively important.
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Originally posted by scottmitchell
      Response time is massively important.
      Absolutely. Nothing even comes close.
      "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
      by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Working...
      X