Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abeba Aregawi positive for Meldonium, A&B

According to reports, Abeba Aregawi has tested positive in a drug test.
    Awaiting the B sample results.

There are many people tweeting about it, including several women who would benefit if Aregawi were to be banned!

I hesitated in posting this, but I'm certain this is a legit report!

ADD: There's an article on the front page about this!
    Last edited by gh; 03-09-2016, 05:11 PM.

Why was this made public without a B sample?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
      Why was this made public without a B sample?
      Possibly because they had to announce why she was suspended.

Comment

Annimarie Korte has tweeted that Swedish newspapers said the test was made in Ethiopia in January, and the substance is Meldonium.
        She also says that Meldonium only became a banning substance on January 1 of this year!

ADD: Korte just tweeted---
        Meldonium pills can be simply bought anywhere online--even on Amazon. 40 pills cost 20 Euros, so quite cheap way to dope.
        Unquote.
        Last edited by aaronk; 02-29-2016, 07:47 PM.

Comment

The Associated Press is now reporting that 9 Ethiopian runners are currently being investigated. Story linked on front page.

Comment

if B positive...ban them all for like...enough of this crap

Comment

how about Rio without Russians, Kenyans or Ethiopians? If nine Ethiopians test postive kick all of them out.

Comment

It will be a very different set of results with those countries missing.

Comment

the whole t&f world has been like a house of cards for the last few months, just one after another. I think if we can get find ourselves Jamaican and American doping scandals that will be every major country with a scandal since december. None of this is surprising, i mean we all know that most top athletes are doped to the gills, we just try to pretend that what we see is real most of the time.

Comment

Meldonium is similar in mechanism of action to trimetazidine aka Vastarel MR, an anti-ischaemic agent used to increase blood flow to the coronary arteries. I am figuring it helps an athlete to recover faster. I have patients on this medication, these are not people considering to run track, not by a long shot.
                    why don't people pronounce vowels anymore

Comment

Meldonium has been shown to improve endurance performance as well as recovery after exercise.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1....1788/abstract

Not advised for pregnant women from what I gather. The wisdom of the entire drug prohibition regime can be questioned but, within that regime, adding Meldonium to list of banned drugs seems logically supported.

Comment

Originally posted by DentyCracker View Post
                        Meldonium is similar in mechanism of action to trimetazidine aka Vastarel MR, an anti-ischaemic agent used to increase blood flow to the coronary arteries. I am figuring it helps an athlete to recover faster. I have patients on this medication, these are not people considering to run track, not by a long shot.
                        Vdovina Ryzhova was given 9 months for trimetazidine in a very similar situation- right after it was added to forbidden list. It will be interesting to see the punishment in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by DentyCracker View Post
                          I had to look it up. It apparently "improves exercise tolerance in angina pectoris patients." Does that mean that it does the same in normal cardiac vasculature? I am most skeptical.
                          "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Am i supposed to be outraged that someone failed a test for something that was only added to banned list 2 weeks before ?

She may have been unaware that it was now banned (which is no legal excuse but very possible). She may have taken it 2 weeks previously and it was still in her system

I can't get bothered about this one i'm afraid
                            i deserve extra credit

Comment

Originally posted by mump boy View Post
                              Am i supposed to be outraged that someone failed a test for something that was only added to banned list 2 weeks before?
                              Why would anyone be outraged that someone failed a test for any substance?

Comment

Working...
                              X