X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• booond
    replied
    Originally posted by gh View Post
    steve may be onto something; maybe we should save our waxing acrimonious until Election Day
    And there is almost the least amount of track talk at that point.

Leave a comment:

• aaronk
    replied
    steve may be onto something; maybe we should save our waxing acrimonious until Election Day
    You'll be pleased to know that I'm somewhat less enamored of that female Alaskan we sometimes hear about!
    And I'm NOT talking about Allie Ostrander!!!
    LOL

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

Leave a comment:

• dukehjsteve
    replied
    You're missing my point. During the week that we all pretty much think of as the highlight of the year, why spoil it with a potential for acrimony here ?

Leave a comment:

• booond
    replied
    Originally posted by dukehjsteve View Post
    Why have Free Speech Day during the FOT at all ? Why not postpone it for a week or so ? Bad timing !
    July 5th is the rest day.

Though the 4th, 5th, and 6th are quite light.

Leave a comment:

• dukehjsteve
    replied
    Why have Free Speech Day during the FOT at all ? Why not postpone it for a week or so ? Bad timing !
    Last edited by dukehjsteve; 06-20-2016, 10:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Gabriella2
    replied
    To clarify a couple of things:

1. the "no politics" rule applies to partisan politics. I have no problem with—indeed, i encourage—discussions of "political science." Unfortunately, of course, it traditinally takes about 3 posts before such attempted discussions go off the rails and the thread gets locked down.

2. Isinbaeva's stance on gay rights has nothing to do with politics. But, of course, as with politics, this is a highly charged subject for some people and it rarely lasts long either.

In either case, the place for discussing such is the Things Not Track forum, not here.
    Thank you, gh, and I agree with this approach.

It is extremely important to debate and discuss what the potential Head of one of the biggest athletics Federations has to say on certain issues. It could potentially affect future competitions in Russia, for competitors and fans, if LGBT rights are so publicly spoken against the way she did.

But we can discuss that further in the Ithe forum if other posters wish to.

Leave a comment:

• user4
    replied
    Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
    Yep, I did will, although it is evolving daily.
    If you are anything like me you will forget 90% of what you wanted to talk about before July 4th.

My own sense is that the moderator does his best to keep the threads from getting too hot but he is generally a well natured left of center guy and therefore he tolerates far more political content from the left than he can from the right.

Those on the right should get used to it and accept that he at least provides the forum for great track interaction and the community has some of the best content and commentary providers in the world.
    Last edited by user4; 06-20-2016, 07:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tm71
    replied
    if free-speech day happens this year, it will be on July 5, not July 4.

I'm sure you can figure that out.
    Makes sense no USOT on the 5th but generally I see this forum only for track and field and if I want to discuss politics I would go elsewhere

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    if free-speech day happens this year, it will be on July 5, not July 4.

I'm sure you can figure that out.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
    I think you'd better PM it to me first for vetting or you might just quit this place altogether from the backlash!!

Leave a comment:

• NotDutra5
    replied
    Originally posted by booond View Post
    #2 Her opinion on gay rights has nothing to do with the issue of Russian state-sponsored doping. You can agree with her on one and disagree with her on the other or vice versa.
    I don't get why there would be a connection either.

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    Lonewolf, didn't you recently say that you can't wait for July 4 this year, because you have some stuff you want to get off your chest?

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    Lonewolf, didn't you recently say that you can't wait for July 4 this year, because you have some stuff you want to get off your chest?

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    You REALLY don't like that time, do you?! ;-)
    The fact that you and I - on opposite sides of most political issues - can get along so well should disabuse you of the necessity of rancor therein!
    Nope, I don't like it. Expect my annual condemnation soon.

The problem with the banned topics is not that people of good will have different opinions
    but that too many cannot rise above the rancor personally.

My policy for dealing with those who disagree with me is to magnanimously "forgive them of their sins."

Leave a comment:

Working...
X